Lowrance autopilot reviews?

Unreel

Considering adding lowrance autopilot. Have seen in a few previous threads that some guys are running them on here. Main reason im looking at adding one is so I can leave the wheel when trolling into some really rough conditions. Have a rear steering station already but even leaving that for a few seconds trolling into a big head sea the boat starts getting pushed to one side from the waves. Do they hold a fairly straight course trolling in rough conditions? Thanks for any feedback!

I'v used mine for one season and really like it. Reasonable price point as well.

One of the best is Com Nav and made in Vancouver so service and parts are close. All the commercial boats used Com Nav. The 1420 Model is made for smaller boats, outboard or I/O

I’ve had the Lowrance system for a couple of years and it works great for me up until about a 25 kn wind and then it stalls out and starts over compensating

My Com Nav only has a problem if I allow the trolling speed to drop and there isn't enough thrust to overpower the wind. Otherwise it will steer straight in any wind /current conditions.

Ive looked at the com nav as well. One of the reasons im leaning more to the lowrance or a simrad is the ability to plot courses on your screen, go to way points or re track a trail. Do you guys use those features?

Ive looked at the com nav as well. One of the reasons im leaning more to the lowrance or a simrad is the ability to plot courses on your screen, go to way points or re track a trail. Do you guys use those features?
I often use plotting capability using the cursor and go to command

Nope I know where the fish are not my pilot...I only use it to hold a straight course while I clean and check the gear.

@tains and @Fishtofino Do you guys notice it tracks pretty straight when going into a head sea? Does it wander much off course before correcting? Are u guys using them for trolling on the main or kicker tied to the main?

I find it does track well going into a head wind on the troll. It is on the main then kicker is tied into the main. If you want to use it while cruising I found that getting up to speed then engage AP otherwise it overcorrects causing bad oversteering.

Never use a pilot at planing speed!!! It takes too long to power down and override if something happens and you need to veer off coarse right now. I've had whales pop up right in front of me and had no idea they were in the area, deadheads or even sticks big enough to knock off or break a transducer.

I'm looking at buying a Lowrance autopilot. Very expensive but comes with a free boat ;). I don't know if it will get used very much but it's already installed

can you tack back and forth with it, without running up to the helm?
Yes. You can engage the pilot and disengage with the remote. You can turn the boat around. If you push the button of the way you wish to turn once it will turn 1 degree. If you hold for 3 seconds it will turn 10 degrees.

Well im going to be buying one as well as the bluetooth remote, anyone know where they have them for under $1300 for the ap?

Back