Lost: Prawn Traps off the point at Albert Head (Victoria, BC)

chltimberworks

Hey there, I put out a brand new set of prawn traps with 300 ft of rope and new unmarked yellow buoy just off the point past Albert Head on Saturday night (March 8th) and went back out to retrieve them today (March 9th) but they were no longer there. Was just trying to feed my family so would really appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they came across them or saw someone picking them up. Would really just like to get them back, no questions asked. Thx so much for your help. Lee

How much weight did you have? What size float did you use? It is possible that they were dragged into the deep from the currents. Also possible that float was under water when you went back to look for them. What time did you go back today?

Thx for your reply. I used a 12 x 8 inch bullet float, brand new, yellow in colour. I had 2 steel traps down, both new, with sinking line, no weights in traps.

Well for starters, you mentioned an unmarked float, which while not all that likely, could have caused DFO enforcement to pull them as you need your name on them at a minimum and the letters have to be a minimum size etc. – check the Regs. Rarely an RCMP marine unit may pull them if they consider them a hazard to navigation, but I would doubt that would happen at that location. You could make some calls. In either event, they could eventually end up on the Govt. auction site, perhaps mixed into a bigger lot of crab traps etc. so you could watch for them.

https://www.bcauction.ca/open.dll/welcome

If it was a large float, someone may have mistaken it for a lost Halibut anchoring system but once pulled may have decided to keep them and unfortunately there is a fair bit of theft. If the float was large it could have pulled the traps off the bottom and drifted and in either scenario, without your name and phone number on the float, even an honest fisherman could not return them to you, unless they see your post here and are able to contact you.

Dave is correct, it is not like Sannich Inlet out there. Big currents, winds and waves and use of a comparatively short trap line relative to depth can cause even large floats to be pulled under water by the currant, but if the traps were well anchored they may pop back up and be visible again at the next low slack tide so you may want to check again. If the traps were not very well anchored they can sometimes be pulled off the bottom by wind, waves and current and just drift away and perhaps get anchored/caught up somewhere else. It is even possible they can be dragged into deeper water and the float be permanently under water. There was one of those in the Sooke area at one time (probably commercial) and salmon fishermen would lose gear on it

That is also a rather high traffic area and a boat or tug pulling a barge etc. could have caught on to them and dragged them off. I understand that happens a fair bit and a large floating kelp island can do the same thing.

One of my fishing buddies drop traps for spot prawns and coon shrimp off Victoria but they are very careful.

If I was doing it:
I would forget about overnight. Drop them and fish salmon in the general area and keep a eye on them. If you run up on a thief pulling your traps they will have a story. Something like “yea we caught your line on our leg and was just freeing it”.

Use a large float, long lead core rope with some extra clip on weights, heavy traps with added weight or perhaps even a small anchor (you may want a power pot puller if you don’t have one). Before deciding to drop the traps it would be a good idea to check the current and weather just like you would when deciding to anchor up for Halibut fishing to minimize the chances of drifting your traps or pulling the float underwater.

Good luck, I hope you get back your gear. Very frustrating and expensive to lose it, especially if brand new. Keep an eye on Craigs list and Used Victoria etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check again today, there is a fairly large ebb in the afternoon
and the float could be submerged.
that 12" bullet would not likely float 2 prawn traps away

As others have mentioned, a name and phone number is a good idea
I have returned lots of lost gear to the owners because of it.

Well with that strong current that happens there as I HAVE done this before( and like you lost them) you have to put a min of 10 lbs of weight in them to hold them there and you have do do it during slacker tides that was a huge ebb on sat night of almost 2.5 kts, but im sorry to say i go check on a slack tide but id say there gone...
Sorry about that as I feel your pain.....

Good luck. I have put my traps down there in 225ft at Albert head with 400 ft of line, a pound in each trap and 8 lb rigger ball to hold them down and at 1.5knot had the current pulling the float under.

Mark your name and phone number on your buoy and use some weight to keep them down from moving , they a gift to someone else now if found floating in open water as they cant be returned to you, there goes $ 200.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably did this, but just in case always mark your trap locations with an icon on your Chartplotter. In a big area like off Victoria they can sometimes be harder to find than one would think without it.

Back