Looking for some advice (Please)

manipogo

Hi All,

New here. Been searching this forum and elsewhere, but I can't quite find the answers I'm looking for. I've been trying to dig up some info on fishing opportunities for my son and I as we set off on a family road trip to the West Coast later this month. We mostly fish Walleye in MB and Northern ON and I'm a bit lost reading about salmon runs and whatnot. I would very much appreciate some help. We'll be spending a number of days at Porteau Cove with stops at Lake Okanagan and Lake Revelstoke. We'll have a canoe and angling gear but no fly fishing gear.

A couple of questions:
  • I read that Furry Creek is sometimes good for pink salmon, but that they only run in odd years. Is this true? Does a normal freshwater license apply there? Recommended tackle?
  • Is it worth trying to fish Lake Okanagan without trolling and downriggers? Anywhere else nearby that you'd recommend? Ditto Lake Revelstoke.
Thanks!

Sadly, you are correct the Pink Salmon runs take place only in odd years on the lower coast. Otherwise, that would have been perfect for you while staying at Porteu Cove. The canoe will not be of much use there without the pink runs to cast to.

Most summer fishing in our big lakes is done with downriggers. You could jig or cast for trout in Okanagan lake I guess. I've had good luck in our lakes casting and jigging a buzz bomb. They are a heavy saltwater jigging lure, but they work well in smaller sizes in lakes. The best all round size is probably 2 1/2 inches, but I've caught big fish on 4" buzz bombs in our lakes. Pink pearl is the colour I'd recommend in 2 1/2 - 3" sizes. Work off Creek mouths early in the morning would be my best suggestion. Without a fish finder you are severely limited in trying to find good areas to jig. Creek mouths usually are a reliable place to find fish holding in most any lake. I'd recommend jigging near bottom in 55-100 feet of water as with the hot summer temperatures the fish are usually down fairly deep during the hot days.

Good luck to you.

As a somewhat famous internet expert once said 'Porteau Cove is a protected marine park that is closed to fishing from shore and boat.'

There are also various closures in Howe Sound itself and you need a Saltwater license to fish anywhere in the ocean-available online.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/areas-secteurs/28-eng.html

The Good News is that the closed area doesn't cover all the best water and it's easy to troll just outside the line in fact people do that all the time and you'll see Crab traps set outside too again perfectly legal.

I encourage you to troll your largest spinner or spoon 40' behind the canoe if you're at all interested keep paddling @ a steady clip you never know what will happen-do this @ dawn before the sun comes over the mountain & hits the water.

While camping @ Porteau be sure to take a drive to the Squamish & Cheakamus Rivers-they might be too high & muddy to fish or you might get lucky and end up with a Dolly Varden which is much like a Brook Trout (which you might call a Speckle).

There are lakes in/around Whistler which are stocked with Trout but pressure is heavy and fish are small.

FWIW- I've snorkeled Kootenay Lake a bunch and seen schools of Trout @ creek mouths as mentioned it's not rocket science and they'll take the same gear you use for Walleye.

Creek mouth or other area that shows fish activity, bobber hook grasshopper. Cast it out Crack a pint and enjoy beautiful bc. U will need a drink after catching the grasshoppers.

Thanks everyone!

I actually do have a small fish finder for my canoe so I'll hunt for some deeper water and pick up some buzz bombs. Haven't tried those before, but we sometimes jig for Lakers. Might have to give them a pre-fish :)

I also didn't realize you could fish "outside the line" at Porteau. Might have to give it a try if for no other reason than to say we fished the Pacific...

I have jigged for lakers with buzz bombs, they work well for lakers in the 4" sizes. For trout I usually use 2 1/2" sizes. They also cast a very long distance because of there heavy weight. You can combine casting and jigging with those lures. Cast out as far as you can in say 50ft of water. Give the line slack and let it settle to the bottom. Count the seconds to bottom. Start reeling as soon as it hits bottom. Reel up 10ft, stop, give a quick jig, reel another 5-10 turns on the reel, then give another jig or two, reel, jig, reel, jig, till the lure is back to the boat. The important thing when working a buzz bomb is to give it complete slack line as it spins downward. The strike is often as the lure is dropping. I've caught many salt, and fresh water species with those lures. They are great for jigging, and they cast a mile.

Hope you have a great trip.

Lots of flounders to catch at Porteau cove. just drop your lines in 80 feet of water outside the no fishing area with some chicken on the #8 hook and enjoy if you guys get bored or want to pass the time by catching some fish. you will get the odd dog fish also. Just remember the whole area is closed to rock fish and lingcod. Have fun and enjoy. Not a bad idea to bring a fold able crab trap to get some eats for the night.

Back