Looking for GPS Plotter (used)

Pearl dog

Hello all,
I'm looking for an inexpensive used plotter with local Vancouver area waters charts. Fish finder/sounder not required. Boat is small, 16' so a smaller screen or handheld would work, (as long as the handheld can be displayed vertically... some of them are stubborn and must lie flat) Black and white is ok too.... I'm in South Delta
Cheers,
dogcharlie321@yahoo.ca

have you thought about using a cheap tablet and downloading the Navionics app? you can get set up for under 200 bucks. You will not use any data as long as you download the charts and the tablet has a internal gps (most do now).

beemer

have you thought about using a cheap tablet and downloading the Navionics app? you can get set up for under 200 bucks. You will not use any data as long as you download the charts and the tablet has a internal gps (most do now).

beemer

hmmm..thanks. I'll look into that option

Or you could buy Raymarines Dragonfly Wi-Fish. It basically comes with tranducer and a wi-sender somewher on your boat out of the way and connect to it with any wi-fi enabled device with great picture due to the great transducer and sofware. All the info is on the Raymarine website. Good luck! Oh and I think its around $200, maybe a bit more plus you need either a tablet or phone.

Or you could buy Raymarines Dragonfly Wi-Fish. It basically comes with tranducer and a wi-sender somewher on your boat out of the way and connect to it with any wi-fi enabled device with great picture due to the great transducer and sofware. All the info is on the Raymarine website. Good luck! Oh and I think its around $200, maybe a bit more plus you need either a tablet or phone.

I think he needs a gps not a sounder

I just bought a Samsung tab 2 10" tablet. Purchased navionics for it, downloaded the charts for my area, then got an extra power cord to live on the boat (plugs into 12v usb plug). Works great. Tablet does not have a data plan. Paid $80 for the tablet, $17 for the app, and $10 for an extra cord for the boat. It's working great and allows me to use sonar charts, which are way more detailed.

Dave S, does your samsung have a built in gps? If not, you can pick up a Garmin Glo gps receiver (runs on bluetooth) for just over $100. It has gps and the russian glosnos sat system. Refreshes 10 times a second. Ive used it with my IPAD, works great.
Stosh

Dave S, does your samsung have a built in gps? If not, you can pick up a Garmin Glo gps receiver (runs on bluetooth) for just over $100. It has gps and the russian glosnos sat system. Refreshes 10 times a second. Ive used it with my IPAD, works great.
Stosh

I second the recommendation, if you are going to navigate using anything other then a real gps, I would add an external GPS like to Glo to improve accuracy. This is what I use https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avpages/dualxgps.php

My Samsung tablet has built in gps. It does not have any cellular connection or data plan. It doesn't seem to have any issues with accuracy. When I compare it with my lowrance elite 5, it shows way more detail and responds as quick.

I have an old iPad 2 with cell option & GPS. I bought the Ram mount bracket with security lock and an adjustable arm which keeps the iPad super secure and you can adjust the angle quickly on the fly to adjust for glare. You can go into iPad settings and turn off the cell data so you don't get extra charges on your bill. The GPS works perfect and the Navionics App has a menu where you can set a custom level of detail for contours ~ low resolution, medium, or detailed. There is no lag compared to my Lowrance HDS-5....and it's great to have dedicated screens.

I am considering a Garmin Glo to use with our Ipad Air 2 (wifi only) and the Navionics app. I currently use Bluetooth for music between my phone and boat stereo. I wonder if adding another Bluetooth connection between the Ipad and Garmin Glo will create an issue using it all at the same time?

+1 for navionics.

Usually accurate to about 5' the sonar charts are absolutely amazing. I have it on my iPhone and it does everything I need and then some. It'll calculate automatic routes, and the time it takes as well as fuel burn. The sonar charts are amazingly accurate, you can run 3' contours down to 120' 6' contours down to 300', and 6' contours further down, letting you stay right on the bottom. But most importantly, I can use it 24/7. I was on an 11 hour flight, and was able to scan the charts for halibut pinnacles, good bottom fishing areas, etc. When a friend wants to know how much it'll cost for me to take them somewhere, I can have fuel burn calculated in a matter of seconds. It will save the charts you use regularly to your device so even without data it works more than well. This is important when fishing in areas of no service(Porlier for example). If you want to get a feel for it, visit this page.
One thing worth noting is that as of this year they changed it to requiring an annual subscription. $29.99 for the first year, then $10 each year after I believe. This is nothing when compared with a chart plotter costs $600 minimum plus $100 in charts every 5 years or so.

I've had the Navionics App on my phone for about 4 years and love it.

What does the Subscription get you?

+1 for navionics.

Usually accurate to about 5' the sonar charts are absolutely amazing. I have it on my iPhone and it does everything I need and then some. It'll calculate automatic routes, and the time it takes as well as fuel burn. The sonar charts are amazingly accurate, you can run 3' contours down to 120' 6' contours down to 300', and 6' contours further down, letting you stay right on the bottom. But most importantly, I can use it 24/7. I was on an 11 hour flight, and was able to scan the charts for halibut pinnacles, good bottom fishing areas, etc. When a friend wants to know how much it'll cost for me to take them somewhere, I can have fuel burn calculated in a matter of seconds. It will save the charts you use regularly to your device so even without data it works more than well. This is important when fishing in areas of no service(Porlier for example). If you want to get a feel for it, visit this page.
One thing worth noting is that as of this year they changed it to requiring an annual subscription. $29.99 for the first year, then $10 each year after I believe. This is nothing when compared with a chart plotter costs $600 minimum plus $100 in charts every 5 years or so.

Thanks, looking at the web app I can only set shaded depth to a maximum of 60'. I usually change my shaded depth through the day most of the time deeper than 60' depending on where I'm fishing. Does the app allow deeper shading than 60'?

Thanks, looking at the web app I can only set shaded depth to a maximum of 60'. I usually change my shaded depth through the day most of the time deeper than 60' depending on where I'm fishing. Does the app allow deeper shading than 60'?

at the bottom left of the page click on the Navionics symbol and then the sonar chart icon. Way more contours!!!

I'm not sure what you use the shaded area for, but when you go to map options on the app, you can turn on "fishing mode," there you can set your fishing range. This allows you to shade everything except for a selected range in between 0-150'. For example: You set your fishing range to 100-150, the whole map will be shaded blue, except for the range 100-150.

Example here

Back