Looking for Fishfinder Recommendations

Just wondering if you're maybe too close to one of your strakes. Getting turbulent water could cause that problem as well.

Oly

I just got a Lowrance Hook 7 from a buddy who bought a new boat with a bigger unit. Its a sweet unit and I'm super happy with it. Huge upgrade from my 4" Garmin that's kept me in the game and catching fish but not even close to the same league. With the lowrance bait balls are very pronounced and detailed. The large screen is sweet, 7" is good for split dual screen. I still use navionics on an old smart phone for the extra screen space but use downscan and sonar on the Lowrance. Heres a few pics. In the first pic you can see me jigging towards a bait ball... the ole 4' Garmin couldn't do that for me, haha. I turned the fish marks off on my Garmin, I didn't trust them, I just used it to find bait. The Lowrance Hook line may be missing some of the features of the Elite line, but they are damn fine units for the sub $1000 crowd.

Seeing fish doesn't catch you fish, but it certainly helps to know they're there and your not fishing dead seas and lonely bait balls. I've only fished it 2 days so far but I did mark fish and turned around to see my rod pop (turned out to be a ling that time), and it also marked a spring before it hit my jig.

Attachments

• 20170903_122941.jpg
    20170903_122941.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20170903_132439.jpg
    20170903_132439.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170903_100547.jpg
    20170903_100547.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 124
I had it below the bottom of the boat to start. Then tried up and further from the engine. Same result in all spots.
Something forward of the spots you tried or the hight/angle of your transducer is causing it to aerate.
Like Oly mentioned a strake/chine or a forward thru hull even a slight hook in the hull can cause air bubbles across the face of the transducer.
Sometimes they can be a ***** to get clean water across the face of them.....

I just got a Lowrance Hook 7 from a buddy who bought a new boat with a bigger unit. Its a sweet unit and I'm super happy with it. Huge upgrade from my 4" Garmin that's kept me in the game and catching fish but not even close to the same league. With the lowrance bait balls are very pronounced and detailed. The large screen is sweet, 7" is good for split dual screen. I still use navionics on an old smart phone for the extra screen space but use downscan and sonar on the Lowrance. Heres a few pics. In the first pic you can see me jigging towards a bait ball... the ole 4' Garmin couldn't do that for me, haha. I turned the fish marks off on my Garmin, I didn't trust them, I just used it to find bait. The Lowrance Hook line may be missing some of the features of the Elite line, but they are damn fine units for the sub $1000 crowd.

Seeing fish doesn't catch you fish, but it certainly helps to know they're there and your not fishing dead seas and lonely bait balls. I've only fished it 2 days so far but I did mark fish and turned around to see my rod pop (turned out to be a ling that time), and it also marked a spring before it hit my jig.

I've got the latter version Elite 7 chirp few years now and it does a great job , i found with these units keep the stock transducer as chirp will
not work with other transducers sharper image with the stock hd trans .

Something forward of the spots you tried or the hight/angle of your transducer is causing it to aerate.
Like Oly mentioned a strake/chine or a forward thru hull even a slight hook in the hull can cause air bubbles across the face of the transducer.
Sometimes they can be a ***** to get clean water across the face of them.....
I will keep moving it around. I mounted a block of wood so I am not drilling new holes every time. Thanks for the advice guys.

I do the same thing but with the Garmin strictly for GPS and Lowrance for depth and fish finder...Garmin would lose bottom never trusted it

Looking for the same.....depth and fish , what Lowrance do you go with and are you happy with it ?
Thx
Rob

RJ what Lowrance did you go with , like it ?
Thx
Rob
It was just a basic "hook" system... can't recall the number of it... only about 250 bucks.... again... did not need any GPS.. juts a clear picture of fish and bottom... works great.

Back