Looking for Fishfinder Recommendations

Hi Waterwolf. I tried to match your Wilby shoals from the Garmin Homeport app with the Garmin "Fishing Map" of that area:

tubber - the Rat's Nose & Turtle's Head looks a bit different on every different source of data I have ever seen.

Alex; investigate for yourself & choose wisely.

Attachments

• NE_Wilby.jpeg
    NE_Wilby.jpeg
    588 KB · Views: 67
Hi Waterwolf. I tried to match your Wilby shoals from the Garmin Homeport app with the Garmin "Fishing Map" of that area:

tubber - the Rat's Nose & Turtle's Head looks a bit different on every different source of data I have ever seen.

Alex; investigate for yourself & choose wisely.
Garmin appears to be better than Navionics. I zoomed in on both of our maps as the contours turn black when there is steep drops unless you zoom in. You can still clearly see that Garmin is missing that inlet. I have never used a Garmin but have heard good things about them. Grant's reef is another one that is WAY off. I didn't get a chance to map it in enough detail to show a good comparison but will this summer. What I like about Insight Genesis through Lowrance is that it is a community map system. The more users the better the mapping. Of course there is a fee but whatever, money well spent in my opinion

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 70
Anyone with lowrance,simrad can download waterwolfs map and use it from the social site as well as a few other areas.
I would buy a gen3 7" from lowrance. I maybe mistaken but it maps as you go. I wouldn't bother with the navionics card as it is just a digital raster map that uses a computer to fill in the details. I have quite a few recordings and when compared to navionics web app, there off quite a bit. Save the $$$ and use it for tm150

I bought my Garmin from Gil Travis who runs an internet business off the "Hull Truth" forum. Gil & I are ex-Navy from the Vietnam era & hit it off. He is a former military SONAR expert & Gil says Garmin's CHIRP is the superior CHIRP technology for Saltwater. The first use of the unit was a 14' RIB, so I wanted an all-in-one. My previous unit was a Garmin & the customer service is first rate. I use the Navionics web app for some area's my Garmin map does not cover; can't complain about the price but it's not even close to state of the art. So my priority was F/F technology then mapping.

Truth be I'd rather be in lights-out-Salmon & never have a chance to glance at the screen while fishing...........

I have a lowrance on my charter boat, chart is accurate and the sonar works good just remember 200 hz for running 50 hz for fishing

I have a lowrance on my charter boat, chart is accurate and the sonar works good just remember 200 hz for running 50 hz for fishing
I too am in the market for a fish finder. I have read good reviews on the Lowrance Elite 5X HDI. Does anyone on this forum have one? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have been using an old Furuno for the last 8-9 years and wanted to update my unit this year, but needed to do so on a budget. I am a Luddite when it comes to technology, so my wish list was relatively simple. I wanted improved resolution, a nice big screen which I could view easily from the cockpit and flexibility in screen set-up. I didn't need Bluetooth capability or touch screen. I want to see bait and structure and have decent resolution, and a good size display.

Also, I have a simple but decent quality bronze thru-hull transducer. In order to save some cost and avoid messing around with a new installation, I wanted to avoid having to swap that out, if possible.

I ended up buying a Lowrance Hook 9 from Roton on Granville Island. List price was under $900 and included the Navionics card. I bought a pigtail adapter, cut off the Furuno plugs and spliced the adaptor on so I could use my existing transducer. I took some time to splice it properly, soldering and insulating the connections.

The unit works very well and I'm happy with it so far. It gives me everything I want for under $1000 all in. I think it's a good unit for the price-point.

I too am in the market for a fish finder. I have read good reviews on the Lowrance Elite 5X HDI. Does anyone on this forum have one? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I have an HDS5 gen2, its ok I only use it to track bottom. Seeing fish ir downrigger balls doesn't put blood on the deck. My only complaint is screen size cant see it very well if I'm the captain and the deck hand. Wished I had 9" or bigger

it all costs
but as i said don't be to afraid to buy good used if you know a friend
who upgrades buy his stuff... some super deals to be had that way
most of my stuff is either trade -ins or open box demo stuff
just got a set of scotties by BS'ing in the tackle store for a good deal
and keep a eye on the forums and craigslist
new then usually its boat show specials

HC do some great deals through out the year
and i get most of my stuff from them and customer service is A+

Figured I'd share an update!
I went with the Lowrance elite 7ti with total scan transducer from harbour chandler.

Still working on fine tuning the settings but overall am happy with my choice! It has definitely helped me catch fish this summer.

OK... so here goes....... my last boat came with a Lowrance HDS7...... loved it...... always worked. never froze.... and was easy to use and read.
Bought the new boat.... put in a Hummingbird Helix 10..... not so much... this thing always looses bottom.... hard to read for fish... and even harder to use and set up.
I now run the hummingbird strictly for GPS mapping... and put in a basic Lowrance beside it for bottom and fish.
I can run both on Sonar at the same time... the Lowrance is always accurate and shows the fish and bait balls... while the Humminird.... will it hums.
My 2 cents..... buy a Lowrance if you find the one that fits your budget.
RJ

OK... so here goes....... my last boat came with a Lowrance HDS7...... loved it...... always worked. never froze.... and was easy to use and read.
Bought the new boat.... put in a Hummingbird Helix 10..... not so much... this thing always looses bottom.... hard to read for fish... and even harder to use and set up.
I now run the hummingbird strictly for GPS mapping... and put in a basic Lowrance beside it for bottom and fish.
I can run both on Sonar at the same time... the Lowrance is always accurate and shows the fish and bait balls... while the Humminird.... will it hums.
My 2 cents..... buy a Lowrance if you find the one that fits your budget.
RJ
I do the same thing but with the Garmin strictly for GPS and Lowrance for depth and fish finder...Garmin would lose bottom never trusted it

I put a raymarine dragonfly 5 on my boat this year. Works well except it loses the depth at any speed over 8mph. I tried different positions on the transom with no luck. Calling raymarine was a waste of time. Anyone else have this issue?

I put a raymarine dragonfly 5 on my boat this year. Works well except it loses the depth at any speed over 8mph. I tried different positions on the transom with no luck. Calling raymarine was a waste of time. Anyone else have this issue?
Sounds like your transducer is picking up air when you speed up......
Have you tried lowing it a bit?

Sounds like your transducer is picking up air when you speed up......
Have you tried lowing it a bit?
I had it below the bottom of the boat to start. Then tried up and further from the engine. Same result in all spots.

Back