Line Abrasion from Algae

Teja

Curious ... Is anyone else finding that there line is being abraded more than usual by the heavy algae this year? I have cut off more of the top 30 ft of my line, regularly, this year than I normally would because it was feeling very rough ... presumably from all of the algae. To th extreme, this evening I had a recently tied algae covered knot break in my hands..

I experienced the same issue a few weeks ago. If you take a wet cloth and run the line through it, you should find that your line is just fine. I think what you feel is the dried on algae and with a wet cloth it cleans it right off. Just my thoughts.

We noticed last night some crazy line abrasion on my partner's rod. Several spots in the top 30' of the mainline. Definitely abrasion and not residue. I did a thorough inspection of mine and didn't notice any. We could only assume it was related to algea.

Algea in the Sunshine Coast area not any better recently, last night was as bad or worse then the last 3 weeks.

Yes. Right down by the flasher. 3 or 4 feet of line there all rough and abrased.. rest of line was o.k. Noticed that mostly the deeper I went the worse the algae/slime got.

Friggin algae/slime. Had to resort to running one rod, then bring that one in and clean the line while running another fresh clean rod. Going back and forth between the two.

I just cut the swivel off and then run a rag down the entire line and slide the algae off the end. Faster than trying to pick it off with fingernails etc.

Very tedious PITA procedure while fishing.

Salamanca and Porlier(Galiano Island) has buildup so bad, it will plug the top rod eye and prevent you from reeling in. At least it did in late April

We fished Galiano eastern shoreline today. Algae was much better than a couple weeks ago at Thrasher. Still a factor, but much more fishable now imo

It was terrible at Salamanca today ~ so bad we packed up and fished Collinson Pt. instead.
What is the stuff? If it's algae anyone know what kind?

Tips on cleaning line and rigger line? (Did the cut off the swivel and run it down the line thing suggested by Sea Fever but it is a PITA and hard to do on the downrigger.)

Why do the fish not get their gills clogged up?

It was terrible at Salamanca today ~ so bad we packed up and fished Collinson Pt. instead.
What is the stuff? If it's algae anyone know what kind?

Tips on cleaning line and rigger line? (Did the cut off the swivel and run it down the line thing suggested by Sea Fever but it is a PITA and hard to do on the downrigger.)

Why do the fish not get their gills clogged up?

I did what I said on my main mono fishing lines...but I didn't do that on my braid downrigger lines. Getting it off the braid DR line while out there and wet is dang near impossible.

I just put up with it as long as I could on the actual downrigger line. Tried to get the big blobs off the DR braid anyhow so could still fish. Then when home let it all dry out in the basement for a couple of days.

Once it's dry it comes off pretty easy.

What is it? I've never seen it this bad. A buddy's kid couldn't reel in because the tip eye was jamming the line.

Back