Letters re: Halibut

Tips Up

I received my 2 page response letter yesterday from the Minister of Fisheries. This was in response to a letter sent back in February. (when we were all sending letters)

Don't forget this issue is not dead just because our halibut season has opened.

When you receive your response be sure to write again challenging their feedback and asking more questions and asking for more answers.
It's great that the season is open and it's great to hear that every sector was cut back when the TAC was cut back but it is not great that we as Sports Fisherman still only see 12% and likely will be shut down early again this year while the commercial 88% is leaving uncaught fish in the water and unsold fish in the freezer.

Next year will be no different. January meetings to discuss the season, no answer by February, late opening, 1 fish limits, unfair percentage, early closure...

Don't become complacent because the season opened.

Tips

Yeah i got mine as well graham it basically said shut up sit down as the commercial sector is where it is at and I dont care what you have to say I went on and asked some very good questions and she didnt even bother aswering them at all.

*****!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

My letter stated the same, there is no intention of changing
the 88/12 commercial/recreational split.
I hate to say it, but they just don't care what we have to say.
The commercial voice speaks louder because big $$$ talks !

Want change? Get public-opinion on your side.

Us sport-fishermen standing alone don't matter a damn to policy-makers. They know we are too fragmented and typically (besides the odd outburst of ineffectual letter-writing) we ***** and complain and then sit back and do nothing.

If the half-million or so 'sporties' in BC were better organized, the net-pens would be long-gone and Campbell wouldn't even dream of assaulting our rivers with his terrible Private Power carnage.

Got to get the media involved to get the word out - to the average Joe-voter - just how screwed this fiasco is, ie: actual direct-benefit to the economy (people) of BC of 1-pound of sport-caught vs 1-pound of commercial-caught.

Politician's get real-edgy when the masses begin to learn about their twisted little-schemes and back-room deals.

At present I believe the best thing the South Island has going in the 'Halibut-Wars' is Chris Bos from the SFAB. He is both passionate and tireless in his work ethic for the BC Sportfisherman. I sense he too, is nearing the 'enough is enough' precipice that I won't be surprised to hear about or see a significant escalation on the SFAB's part... in the near future.

I agree but I think that they count on us to back down after the first wave of letters and outlasting us in the battle. (Reminds me of Timber West and land access issues) They know that once the season is open everyone becomes content and gives up.
The fight now is still to get more % and to avoid this late opening and more important the late announcements next year.

I will be sending another letter keying in on 3 points.
1. January is to late to start having meetings to make decisions on a Feb. 1 opening.
2. Commercials are leaving part of their quota in the water and part in the freezer while sporties are having their catch and season cut short.
3. In response to comments in their letter to me regarding Victoria and Sooke waters being unique and having a season that starts earlier and finishes earlier than the rest of the coast and us needing an earlier opening and earlier announcement....
The regs need to be broken down from the current West Coast as a whole to individual zones.

Tips

I totally agree. We have to kept the pressure on and get the message out to more people. I think what Chris Bos and others are doing is great and will continue to support as much as I can.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Yes, don't let up! Speaking of Chris, have I missed any coordinated action during the last few weeks or has it slowed down? Any new meetings or actions planned?

recieved my response from fisheries today. looks like the 2 page forum letter everyone else is recieving. I'll fire off another letter this weekend and patiently await a response:D

recieved my response from fisheries today. looks like the 2 page forum letter everyone else is recieving. I'll fire off another letter this weekend and patiently await a response:D

Got one (2nd reply) from Gail today - no longer form and also coming from the top which is nice - directly responds to my concerns...thoughts on her points?

hali1.jpg

hali2.jpg

Sorry-- she did not write that letter to you. The various Ministers all have staff that do nothing but reply to letters. She does not even sign them-- its a machine that does that.

But its not a waste of time. Her staff should be keeping her informed as to the the issues in her portfolio. Enough letters and maybe things will change.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

ouch...nice representation if thats the case...why sign it if they aren't your direct thoughts? Not ethical one bit if you ask me..but well...DFO and politicians..why should it surprise!

I'd rather it be signed by who wrote it (and put on behalf of), then that kinda crap.....why bother!?! What, some high school dropoff just makes stuff up to appease the public and thats his job?

Oh well.

Back