Letter from Fish Minister

Sushihunter

Here is the letter I got from the Fisheries Minister today:

letter-fish_min-april-0809.jpg

letter-fish_min-april-0809-p2.jpg

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I would say dear chap that she is trying to douse your flames with a load of wet bullcrap.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

If you think thats her speaking forget it , you are looking at what the Deputy Minister is offering up as government baffle gab and is playing the concern for us poor sport fisherman tune through bridge of his nose !

AL

Sushi;

I did not read your letter, the one she responded to, but I would guess, and hope, that the primary issue you outlined in your letter was not aimed at TAC or conservation initiatives, but was aimed squarely at apportionment; the 88/12 split.

Apportionment (the act of giving out and dividing in fair shares) is the key word here and should be the foundation of the Rec halibut fisherman's argument. If you had requested an answer on this issue, she did a really lousy job of sidestepping it.

There are commercial/political forces at play here. If it were me and I wanted to help drive policy change on allocation, I'd go for the 'soft-underbelly' of every politician: Well written/spoken 'Bad-press' to sway public opinion. Dat' **** makes dem' guys' twitch in their seats!

Good work my friend.

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Sushi;

I did not read your letter, the one she responded to, but I would guess, and hope, that the primary issue you outlined in your letter was not aimed at TAC or conservation initiatives, but was aimed squarely at apportionment; the 88/12 split.

Apportionment (the act of giving out and dividing in fair shares) is the key word here and should be the foundation of the Rec halibut fisherman's argument. If you had requested an answer on this issue, she did a really lousy job of sidestepping it.

There are commercial/political forces at play here. If it were me and I wanted to help drive policy change on allocation, I'd go for the 'soft-underbelly' of every politician: Well written/spoken 'Bad-press' to sway public opinion. Dat' **** makes dem' guys' twitch in their seats!

Good work my friend.

Thanks! :D

Here is my letter to the Minister. It also copies the letter from Bill Otway. I also copied it to EVERY MP in the house. Most of whom deleted without reading.

The following letter was sent to the Minister of Fisheries and copied to us in the sports fishing community by Bill Otway. Mr. Otway is one of the most knowledgeable people on the subject of West Coast Fisheries. We stand behind him in this matter.

This 88/12 allocation of Pacific Halibut between commercial and sports sectors is killing us in small towns such as Tahsis on the West Coast. Halibut remains closed and still no indication of when it will open or what the catch regulations will be.

The world economy will be hard enough on us without this added weight.

Please ask the Minister to rethink her position on this matter and allow the Sports sector to go out and catch Halibut and keep our limited economies running. This is NOT a conservation issue, it is one of allocation.

Jim Pook
Box 326
Tahsis, BC V0P 1X0

------------------------
February 22, 2009

The Honourable Gail Shea
Minister, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0E6

Honourable Minister;

I am writing you today to express my deep concern and confusion over your February 12th decision delivered to the SFAB regarding the 2009 Halibut fishery.

Frankly Minister I am at a loss to understand how you could so totally ignore the facts in this matter. As I had noted to you in previous correspondence regarding our meeting in January, I, and the others attending actually believed you comprehended the information we gave you on this issue.

We, the representatives for the recreational sector, have bent over backwards in an attempt to reach the type of management regime your predecessors and now it appear you, demanded. We spent countless days in travel and meetings with your officials and representatives, we thought, from the commercial sector coming to a number of mutual agreements for the management of the Halibut fishery. In every instance, after the agreement was reached, the commercial sector breached or ignored that agreement. Now your government has spent over a year, reviewing the latest proposal that we jointly put forward and the commercial sector has again breached, and after a year, you reject it out of hand.

To say this is unsatisfactory would be the understatement of the century. Your playing Pontius Pilot with this issue will not resolve it and I can assure you will amount to nothing more than throwing gasoline on the flames.

At a time when your government is making continuous claims about your concerns over losing jobs in Canada and the need to keep our economy stable and growing, you make a decision that will ensure the loss of hundreds of jobs in the recreational fishing industry in 2009. Moreover we will see losses in the millions of dollars to the British Columbian and Canadian economies because of your decision.

The amount of Halibut needed to maintain a viable and vibrant recreational fishery amounts to far less than the commercial sector will leave in the water in 2009. A transfer of this amount would cost the commercial sector nothing but would, as noted, have saved hundreds of jobs in the recreational industry as well as create an infusion of tens of millions of dollars into our economy. This is hardly living up to your duty to achieve the highest possible return to the people of Canada for the use of their fishery resource.

Either your staff failed to tell you or you have chosen to ignore the fact that at the recent meetings of the International Pacific Halibut Commission the processing industry advised the Commission that they currently have in storage some 10 million pounds of Halibut from last year’s harvest. That is more than all of the 2008 B.C. allocation and over 30% more than the total 2009 harvest. Every indication was given that commercial halibut prices were going to be but a shadow of what they were in 2008. In fact the processors made it clear that they cannot even sell their current stock even at ex-vessel prices, never mind at wholesale prices.

Yet you chose to allocate this valuable public resource to the lowest possible use for 2009.

Moreover you continue to support the practice of giving this resource to a major portion of the commercial quota holders who do not even fish for them. Of the 435 holders of commercial Halibut quota in 2008, only 168 actually fished for Halibut. The majority Halibut quota holders, 267 take this resource that was gifted to them by the government and sit on the beach while they collect rent for a Canadian resource from the few who are actually willing to go to sea and fish. All fish allocated to and caught by recreational fishers are taken by the anglers themselves not by third parties..

Madam Minister you are perpetrating a farce and supporting the lowest possible benefit to Canadians for the use of their resource. I ask you to immediately reverse your position and provide for the 2009 recreational Halibut fishery to proceed as it should and create an atmosphere and a basis for development of a rational long term management plan.

Yours in conservation.
Bill Otway

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Back