Let's talk about buying a used boat

Kildonan

So I'm considering purchasing a new to me boat. Like a 17 6 Hourston or the likes.

It's likely this will be an older hull I'm buying due to my budget so... hoping to get some good advise here as to what to look for as I know there is lots of experience here. I know I need to look for rotten stringers and transom, how can I tell if things are rotten, what are the tell tale signs?

If you decide on a Double Eagle I can tell you what I encountered in 30 odd years of owning them.I just did the thump test you should hear a solid sound,if it is a flat sound not good.Best thing to do is generally look around when you go to look, if the yard is a mess,the trucks got three diffrent types of tires and the boat is filthy not good.But also not an indication of the boat just generally tells you whats up.Lastchance had a post last year on how to look,i think it was in his campion post.Dan

Shouldn't this be in Boats, Motors, Trailers and Towing Rigs Forum</u>?

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

The floorboards should give a little under pressure but should not be spongy or bouncy. Always ask for a test drive.Boat will feel solid if its good.Mine started getting a little rattly this year and voila! Rotten stringers.
I'm getting pretty good at fiberglassing now.
At least I will know the condition of the floor now and when I'm done I will have a lot more in-floor storage.

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

So I'm considering purchasing a new to me boat. Like a 17 6 Hourston or the likes.

It's likely this will be an older hull I'm buying due to my budget so... hoping to get some good advise here as to what to look for as I know there is lots of experience here. I know I need to look for rotten stringers and transom, how can I tell if things are rotten, what are the tell tale signs?

I have owned a 17 6, 1985 Hourston for 4 years and I fish out of it year round. It is definently economical, 2 stroke 60hp Evinrude(rebuilt by Tipton), and a Honda 8hp kicker. Puts me in the game on most days, very cheap to run. Would love a 19 - 21ft but Iam waaayyy too poor at this stage in my life, lucky to own what I have and it gives me good fishing opportunities. Paid $4500ish and then comes the stuff you forget about. Kicker bracket,kicker, duel batt. system, plotter, new radio and a rebuild. Lucky it came with sounder and awivel mounts,$$... I will be honest I do feel held back as to where I wanna fish some days (hali, going w ,ect) but thats why you have frinds like Addicted, Tailspin and Ocean Rambler with big boats.Yes, I confess Iam a boat slut. It fishes 3 guys perfectly, 1 to steer, 1 to net and bring up gear, and 1 guy on the fish(hopefully); although I personally perfer 2 people,fish hog. It is easy to lauch, trailer anywhere and deal with buy yourself. In younger dumber times I fished out of aluminums and double eagles with no roof, brrrrr, never again. The hardtop keeps you warm winter spring fishing or anchored up. If a Hourston like that is whats in your budget you will not be displeased. Start looking now and just be patcient until you find a nice old man garage kept Hourston or Eagle. I found mine very randomly near Dallas Rd. Saw some good stuff in the Buy, sell & Trade too. Possibly selling mine in the new year, getting out of owning a boat for 3 years to save my pennies for a bigger ride.

I have a 1977 hourston on it. It still is solid and has the original motor on it.Check the compression on the motor which is easy. My motor has 120 lbs on all cylinders.The boat has been garage kept all its life and is still rock solid. You see my boat and it still looks new, Always serviced and cleaned. It is not hard to spot junk.It is not a perfect system but use your gut feeling when buying a boat.The persons yard and other vehicles etc. Works for me. Willyd

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Jim buy mine and ill even include a few hali waypoints!!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Is that right!! hahaha Sure Roy.:D I think you just need to take a break there, Dude!! Besides, it's likely that rig is outside my budget constraints as laid out by the chief financial officer. Unless you'll take 4500 bucks for it? (with the waypoints of course) ;)[:p]:D:D

AHHHH im sure you could come up with it!!!! ill take a break soon enough its still up for sale $4500 would be for the waypoints LOL LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Open boats that are stored outside usually tend to show stringer and floor rot. Take a steel needle and get it sharp and poke through the glass into the wood. Test poke on a solid piece of wood before to get a feel how deep and easy you can penetrate good wood and then you can quickly tell when you check out used boats. Look for stress cracks in gelcoat and glass on the underside of boats and near typical load zones.

Hey Kildonan

I am Looking to sell my very safe very reliable double eagle which needs nothing. Whether you are looking to catch dinner or go water skiing with the family this is the boat for you. Never bottom painted or left in the water. Always out of the elements. IT HAS ZERO ROT ISSUES.

It is the 17' 6" model with the deep V hull
comes with a 90 hp Johnson with around 60 hours on rebuild(done by Lordship Marine in Vancouver with receipt)

also including is a 2.2 kicker
Brand new seats
brand new canvas top
Galvanized aluminum trailer with serge brakes and bearing buddies

FISHING EQUIPMENT
two Scotty strong arms with extra cables and 3 balls and many clips.
Lowrance fish finder with built in speedo
vhf radio
Compass
2 Scotty rod holders

SPORTS EQUIPMENT
1 Banana tube (two people behind one another)
1 normal ski tube
1 set of like new water skis
1 rope for tubing
1 rope for water skiing

MISC EQUIPMENT

JVC am/fm CD player
4 6" x 9" JBL speakers in removable boxes
4 life vest
2 aluminum oars
2 tie downs ropes
3 bumpers
1 extra prop
fully out fitted anchor with chain/rope
new 650 gal/hour bilge pump

Everything is included and you will need nothing. Service has just been done on the motors (again with receipt) and they start and run perfect.

Contact Ryan for viewings
604-780-9119

doubleeagleboat010.jpg
[/URL]

doubleeagleboat017.jpg
[/URL]

fishingbamfield2009014.jpg
[/URL]

Hey Kildonan

I am Looking to sell my very safe very reliable double eagle which needs nothing. Whether you are looking to catch dinner or go water skiing with the family this is the boat for you. Never bottom painted or left in the water. Always out of the elements. IT HAS ZERO ROT ISSUES.

It is the 17' 6" model with the deep V hull
comes with a 90 hp Johnson with around 60 hours on rebuild(done by Lordship Marine in Vancouver with receipt)

also including is a 2.2 kicker
Brand new seats
brand new canvas top
Galvanized aluminum trailer with serge brakes and bearing buddies

FISHING EQUIPMENT
two Scotty strong arms with extra cables and 3 balls and many clips.
Lowrance fish finder with built in speedo
vhf radio
Compass
2 Scotty rod holders

SPORTS EQUIPMENT
1 Banana tube (two people behind one another)
1 normal ski tube
1 set of like new water skis
1 rope for tubing
1 rope for water skiing

MISC EQUIPMENT

JVC am/fm CD player
4 6" x 9" JBL speakers in removable boxes
4 life vest
2 aluminum oars
2 tie downs ropes
3 bumpers
1 extra prop
fully out fitted anchor with chain/rope
new 650 gal/hour bilge pump

Everything is included and you will need nothing. Service has just been done on the motors (again with receipt) and they start and run perfect.

Contact Ryan for viewings
604-780-9119

doubleeagleboat010.jpg
[/URL]

doubleeagleboat017.jpg
[/URL]

fishingbamfield2009014.jpg
[/URL]

Go for a 17 Double Eagle over the same in a Hourston. Have owned both, the D.E. is a better hull in the rough stuff, especially at speed. The hull is wider and it shows between the seats..a tight squeeze on the Hourston, not so on a D.E. Both are sensitive to taking greenies over the bow while trolling if to much weight is up front. The water runs up the windshield, gets under the canvas snaps and dumps in your lap. So keep the big guys in the rear seats.

Back