Lethal Atlantic salmon virus found in BC sockeye

This is @#$%^&* in-excusible!!!:mad: I say that this is the final straw!

If this report can be confirmed we have no other course than to demand that all net pen fish farms be moved onto land asap!!! If this virus spreads to more salmon and/or other marine species then sportsfishers, commercial fishers, First Nations, guides, fish processeors, lodges, motels/hotels, restraurants, fish and marine supply and many coastal towns, etc. will be totally screwed, not to mention the marine ecosystem itself!

We must all join together as stewards of this precious resource and pressure and protest the govt. until the needed changes take place!

Not surprised that the testing showed positive after all we knew about over thousand cases of ISAish results in fish farms. Vet keep one eye closed as he tested the farm fish morts. Sad really what mankind has unleashed on the salmon of the north pacific. Thanks C for posting this. I did not want to read it but knew I must.
Put the fish lots on land .... on Norway land.
GLG

I bet a dollar to a donut the fish farm PR will weasel their way out of this one too!! I hope they get nailed big time once and for all.LETS HOPE FOR THE BEST!!

Just saw this on the news. They said Rivers Inlet. No matter, this is BAD news. It was only a matter of time as ISAv has followed salmon farming everywhere in the world.

This was on the local CTV news with Hudson Mack.......
icon14.png

CHEK news of course didn't say a word........
icon13.png

[8VK-Oti6cFQ] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=8VK-Oti6cFQ

I have tried to post info about this virus on the Alaska sports fishing forum below but they keep deleting it as spam.
If anyone here knows someone on the Alaskan forum maybe they could ask them to post this info.
I did a search of the forum to see if they are aware of this virus but nothing came back.
It would be very interesting to find out how they feel about this.
Maybe if we could unite all concerned about this virus from Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska politicians might finally sit up and take notice.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/3-Alaska-Saltwater-Fishing

I have tried to post info about this virus on the Alaska sports fishing forum below but they keep deleting it as spam.
If anyone here knows someone on the Alaskan forum maybe they could ask them to post this info.
I did a search of the forum to see if they are aware of this virus but nothing came back.
It would be very interesting to find out how they feel about this.
Maybe if we could unite all concerned about this virus from Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska politicians might finally sit up and take notice.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/3-Alaska-Saltwater-Fishing
I'm on there as Whalebreath I'll try tomorrow too bagged right now.

Thanks for the video clip, MT. I feel much more re-assured after that BC salmon farmer with the Scottish brogue told us there is nothing to worry about.

"Maybe if we could unite all concerned about this virus from Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska politicians might finally sit up and take notice."

I tried, it was called the WSA.

Then government or the industry decided I was making too much noise, so they had the RCMP allege I made 'bomb-threats' against offices of the Federal government. I watched a 300+ strong membership evaporate faster than a puddle of water in the Sahara.

I'm on there as Whalebreath I'll try tomorrow too bagged right now.
Thanks DB keep us posted so we can see what sort of reaction they have in
Alaska to this news.

Your house is on fire! Uh we do not have positive information on this, there is no exact information pointing to this fact even though flames have been spotted and there is some visible smoke there is no conclusive evidence pointing to the fact that there really is a fire. Actully the jury is still out on this but in the meantime we still have backups in the pens.
Typical attitude deny until it is too late to do anything about it and then disappear to a new area to destroy.

After DB made the post there were some replies but unfortunately none of them were very interesting except Charlie's, they were more argumentative than anything else. No one who posted really seemed to take the news very seriously. And then for some mysterious reason they moved the post so it could only be viewed by members. Before they moved it there were just over 300 views. It looks like Alaskans aren't ready to take this threat very seriously at the moment.

Good try anyway guys.
The Western Canada Wilderness committee has always fought the open net pen salmon feed lots. (They are feed lots NOT farms).
This group has started another letter writing campaign following the recent devastating ISA news and you can add your name and comments to the Minister here, if you wish:-
http://wildernesscommittee.org/write...ve_wild_salmon

Back