Leader Lengths

MyEscape

I just would like some personal opinions on this topic. I personaly
set up duplicate gear at different lengths???? I will be honest with you I catch fish but with some help and my own personal determination and of course putting in time I will become a great fisherman LOL... Even if I don't I know I have a great time trying ..... For all those that post "THANKS" CHEERS M.E.

Excellent topic! There are so many types of leader lenghts to use, for me I use different types of lenghts at different times on the year and in different locations. An example would be when fishing Sooke and Renfrew I use about a 8-9 foot leader when fishing chovies. In the Charlottes or in Barkley Sound I would use about a 6 foot leader. When it comes to hoochies I also fish different lenghts, when I was young my Dad taught me to fish hoochies with a leader length from my nose to the my fingers and it seemed to work just fine. A new trick I have picked up is dynamite - I wrap it around the flasher 3 times (lenght wise) and that is the lenght of my leader when fishing hoochies. It seems really short and it took me a while to get used to and develop confidence in it but it works like a charm.

The key when choosing a leader length, infact choosing anything, is to have CONFIDENCE in what you are putting down there.

Good Luck!!

Totally Tyee

Excellent topic! There are so many types of leader lenghts to use, for me I use different types of lenghts at different times on the year and in different locations. An example would be when fishing Sooke and Renfrew I use about a 8-9 foot leader when fishing chovies. In the Charlottes or in Barkley Sound I would use about a 6 foot leader. When it comes to hoochies I also fish different lenghts, when I was young my Dad taught me to fish hoochies with a leader length from my nose to the my fingers and it seemed to work just fine. A new trick I have picked up is dynamite - I wrap it around the flasher 3 times (lenght wise) and that is the lenght of my leader when fishing hoochies. It seems really short and it took me a while to get used to and develop confidence in it but it works like a charm.

The key when choosing a leader length, infact choosing anything, is to have CONFIDENCE in what you are putting down there.

Good Luck!!

Totally Tyee

Well T.T. that sure is long for sooke 8 to 9 ft. You know the success i have you will not believe this but i run short leaders sometimes only 3 1/5 ft to 6 ft i never go past 6 ft. Now your probably wondering why the hell so short, well it took me a lot of years to figure it out and lots of watching the gear at only 5 ft down but here goes, this is the reason watch what a chovie will do with a shorter leader you have the chovie spinning and about the 4 revolution of the flasher the chovie will all of a sudden jerk to one side then it will come on track again, why it is doing that is your getting tail whip from the flasher thats when i think the fish will strike it is something the fish dont normally see they see every type of spin imaginable out the from choppers to not moving at all then all of a sudden they see something moving totally different.
Another reason i use shorter leaders it is way easier when there is clients on board to net a fish they have hard enough time with a shorter leader imagine a 9 ft leader on a 10 ft rod and a 5 ft woman not a fun situation LOL.
So my best advice to you out there experiment with it every boat is different try it on one side go from the lengths i said there are a few things to take in consideration you dont want it jerking around like a hoochie that means it too short either lenthen or slow down your speed you dont want to go too fast springs are lazy they like it slow you just want the flasher spinning slowly its an attractant but with time you will find what works the best for you.
Remember you are hunting these fish ever watch a wolf they dont know what to do when a deer just stands there but the moment it tries to get away BAM THE WOLF IS ON IT LIKE A FAT KID LOOKING FOR A SMARTIE.
thats why they call me the

WOLF

Well T.T. that sure is long for sooke 8 to 9 ft. You know the success i have you will not believe this but i run short leaders sometimes only 3 1/5 ft to 6 ft i never go past 6 ft. Now your probably wondering why the hell so short, well it took me a lot of years to figure it out and lots of watching the gear at only 5 ft down but here goes, this is the reason watch what a chovie will do with a shorter leader you have the chovie spinning and about the 4 revolution of the flasher the chovie will all of a sudden jerk to one side then it will come on track again, why it is doing that is your getting tail whip from the flasher thats when i think the fish will strike it is something the fish dont normally see they see every type of spin imaginable out the from choppers to not moving at all then all of a sudden they see something moving totally different.
Another reason i use shorter leaders it is way easier when there is clients on board to net a fish they have hard enough time with a shorter leader imagine a 9 ft leader on a 10 ft rod and a 5 ft woman not a fun situation LOL.
So my best advice to you out there experiment with it every boat is different try it on one side go from the lengths i said there are a few things to take in consideration you dont want it jerking around like a hoochie that means it too short either lenthen or slow down your speed you dont want to go too fast springs are lazy they like it slow you just want the flasher spinning slowly its an attractant but with time you will find what works the best for you.
Remember you are hunting these fish ever watch a wolf they dont know what to do when a deer just stands there but the moment it tries to get away BAM THE WOLF IS ON IT LIKE A FAT KID LOOKING FOR A SMARTIE.
thats why they call me the

WOLF

Well sometimes it just good to share things with fellow fisherman.
And no i wasnt that kid i stole your lunch money HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

Well sometimes it just good to share things with fellow fisherman.
And no i wasnt that kid i stole your lunch money HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

dont quite know yet they are going through a a change up there sailcone sold the float lodge so im not sure what is really going on yet keep you informed

dont quite know yet they are going through a a change up there sailcone sold the float lodge so im not sure what is really going on yet keep you informed

Ya the good ol' leader talk. I find that slabs in the Charlottes will hit a bait if you attached it right to the flasher, leader length only matters up there for action ie hotchies. As you get down this way it might matter a bit more beacause these fish are spooked out so much by the flasher show they see in popular areas. You'll lose more fishing longer leaders also because you'll have a harder time getting them to the net. On the other hand the extra length will help as a shock absorber also. Hmmm so many options...

Hey Totally remember those springs that were snappin; 40 pound test leader from running so fast!!

Ya the good ol' leader talk. I find that slabs in the Charlottes will hit a bait if you attached it right to the flasher, leader length only matters up there for action ie hotchies. As you get down this way it might matter a bit more beacause these fish are spooked out so much by the flasher show they see in popular areas. You'll lose more fishing longer leaders also because you'll have a harder time getting them to the net. On the other hand the extra length will help as a shock absorber also. Hmmm so many options...

Hey Totally remember those springs that were snappin; 40 pound test leader from running so fast!!

Ya thats one problem with flashers, if the fish gets running to fast and the flasher goes sideways through the water.................................SNAP!!

Ya thats one problem with flashers, if the fish gets running to fast and the flasher goes sideways through the water.................................SNAP!!

40 lb wow so that's the ticket!!!! Hey mama with all this rain there should be one more run at the chrome lets make a trip before another season blows by us. I will call you sometime next week or you call me after this rain and flow settles it should be good. Slabby out oh p.s are you planning on going to that outdoors show in vic this weekend??

40 lb wow so that's the ticket!!!! Hey mama with all this rain there should be one more run at the chrome lets make a trip before another season blows by us. I will call you sometime next week or you call me after this rain and flow settles it should be good. Slabby out oh p.s are you planning on going to that outdoors show in vic this weekend??

Back