Lawsuit Filed against DFO & Marine Harvest!!!

Whole in the Water

Let's hope this goes through and Alexandra wins this case to start a powerful movement that will get these unsustainable, pollution and disease spreading, foreign owned salmon feedlots that are over subsidized and losely monitored by corrupt politicians out of BC waters once and for all time!! :D

Good on ya Alexandra, good luck and Godspeed!

--------------------------------------------
Yesterday, I filed a Notice of Application to take the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Marine Harvest to Federal Court to stop them from putting diseased farm salmon into the Fraser sockeye migration route.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com
Alexandra Morton

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope this goes through and Alexandra wins this case to start a powerful movement that will get these unsustainable, pollution and disease spreading, foreign owned salmon feedlots that are over subsidized and losely monitored by corrupt politicians out of BC waters once and for all time!! :D

Good on ya Alexandra, good luck and Godspeed!

--------------------------------------------
Yesterday, I filed a Notice of Application to take the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Marine Harvest to Federal Court to stop them from putting diseased farm salmon into the Fraser sockeye migration route.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com
Alexandra Morton

Don't forget the last line, about how to donate to this latest cause ... salmon farms are killing wild salmon, must be because there aren't as many as before ... send money. Keep fishing, that's ok cuz your'e fishing on wild salmon and that's good, but send money.

Right.

Excuse me--- but the proper reply to Dave seems to be.....wait for it.......**** OFF!

Don't forget the last line, about how to donate to this latest cause ... salmon farms are killing wild salmon, must be because there aren't as many as before ... send money. Keep fishing, that's ok cuz your'e fishing on wild salmon and that's good, but send money.

Right.

Sounds to me like the desparate cries from a supporter of the unsustainable, environmentally destructive, increasingly out-moded and less profitable, less publicly supported, salmon feedlot industry!

Sounds to me like the desparate cries from a supporter of the unsustainable, environmentally destructive, increasingly out-moded and less profitable, less publicly supported, salmon feedlot industry!

And by that you mean desparate cries from DFO??!!

Seriously, I’m not a fish farmer ... I’m a retired Senior Research Technician from DFO’s Science Branch, spending 37 years based out of the Cultus Lake Laboratory. Among other duties I provided technical support to both DFO and university scientists and for about 15 years was involved in sampling Fraser River sockeye for stressors relating to pre spawning mortalities and disease.

Well Dave, after all those years working as a grunt with wild salmon your new claim to fame is that you spend virtually every day on a Sport Fishing Forum working against wild salmon and shrilling for salmon feedlots. I understand the tobacco and asbestos industries need a little help also and I suspect could help augment that pension. That is if you can fit them in, what with all the time you spend here trying to explain to us misguided fools who just won’t accept what a wonderful beneficial industry the Atlantic salmon feedlots are and how lucky we will all be when the industry expands to fill every sheltered BC coastal inlet.

Your selfless heroic dedication and that of your colleagues on here promoting the financial interests of foreign salmon feedlot corporations is truly inspirational. It must be frustrating that we just cannot grasp what a good idea it is to introduce an alien Atlantic salmon predator species and their Atlantic Ocean diseases into our Pacific coast inlets.

Great one Rockfish! LOL
And on the same theme it must be so frustrating for them that we cannot see how inefficient nature is. Millions of years of evolution have clearly been wasted and misdirected and the ocean feeding grounds and coastal river spawning areas on our doorstep could be improved so much. All we have to do is bring in tons of technologies, cram the fish together in cages and load them up with antibiotics, chemicals, and dyes and then use huge amounts of energy to strip mine the oceans of feed fish and bring the food to the caged fish. Voila, so much better and less wasteful than nature and easy to keep diseases and pathogens away from the healthy fish in their antiseptic cages eh? We must be so short sighted if we cannot see that…….

If this lawsuit succeeds you fellas may get your "natural order" but you can likely kiss most of our hatchery programs goodbye because prv has been found pretty much everywhere including hatcheries from alaska to washington. On a brighter note maybe the alaskan salmon ranching would be shut down too! Considering this maybe its time to really look at the facts about prv situation in BC and the whole coast for that matter and seriously evaluate the risk and make the divide between the reckless fear mongering morton tactics and the actual facts. Your call guys.

If this lawsuit succeeds you fellas may get your "natural order" but you can likely kiss most of our hatchery programs goodbye because prv has been found pretty much everywhere including hatcheries from alaska to washington. On a brighter note maybe the alaskan salmon ranching would be shut down too! Considering this maybe its time to really look at the facts about prv situation in BC and the whole coast for that matter and seriously evaluate the risk and make the divide between the reckless fear mongering morton tactics and the actual facts. Your call guys.

We really are up to our armpits in Fish Farm employees and PR Hacks on our little sport fishing forum. I guess we should be honored that you consider us such a threat that we are worth expending all that effort and resources. I am just happy that so far I have not had to watch more fish farm TV ad propaganda during the hockey playoffs.

You may well be correct that the Atlantic feedlot industry and their government proxies will try and use the threat of closing down our hatcheries to leverage the protection of the open pen feedlot industry.

I have notice they want to increase testing of hatchery fish and knowing the Harper/Conservative government would like to save even the pathetically pitiful amount of funding they put into Pacific Salmon enhancement through support of our hatcheries. If tax dollars are not used as corporate welfare what good are they, right.

They can go ahead and try to close down our hatcheries, many of them volunteer funded and operated. If they think they have taken some political heat on the underfunding of Search and Rescue and the Coast Guard they have not seen anything compared to what will happen if they Pizz off hundreds of thousands of anglers by trying to kill off our hatcheries out of spite and political gamesmanship.

The Conservatives are spending the political capital at a fast pace and they are going to find that they are not going to want to jeopardize even a portion of those votes. They are going to need every vote come the next federal election and so are future provincial governments. Politics is not only about money; it is also about survival.

I would point out that neither Alaska ranching nor local Pacific Salmon enhancement hatcheries use Alien Atlantic Salmon with their Atlantic diseases. Diseases that Pacific Salmon have not evolved to be resistant too.

Further; they do not involve raising to adulthood and treating millions of adult fish in pens which are perfect large open petri dishes for quickly evolving and spreading even more virulent and resistant disease of both the Pacific and Atlantic variety. Then of course there is that lice parasite problem and the pesticide resistance that develops.

I don’t even like that the pens are eyesores that clog up and pollute our inlets, impair navigation of the public waterways, trap and kill sea lions and now possibly whales, and that their business model is driven by the need to grow and install ever more pens while increasingly vacuuming up the feed resources for food pellets that Pacific Salmon and other Pacific species need.

I have noticed the industry shrills like to attack Alaska’s ranching model which they see as competition for their open pen disease factories and which sets a bad example because they know Alaska won’t let their damaging discredited open pen industry into their waters. Given a choice, I would take Alaska’s model over the open pen Atlantic salmon industry in a heart beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Rockfish! Even though what you say makes environmental and economic sense, they (the Lice Farm hacks) won't get it, as they don't want to!

We really are up to our armpits in Fish Farm employees and PR Hacks on our little sport fishing forum. I guess we should be honored that you consider us such a threat that we are worth expending all that effort and resources. I am just happy that so far I have not had to watch more fish farm TV ad propaganda during the hockey playoffs.

I happen to be a fish farmer who fishes allot and has fish for as long as I can remember so if you are so willing to put forth statements declaring otherwise then fill your boots. It simply isn't true.

I have notice they want to increase testing of hatchery fish and knowing the Harper/Conservative government would like to save even the pathetically pitiful amount of funding they put into Pacific Salmon enhancement through support of our hatcheries. If tax dollars are not used as corporate welfare what good are they, right.

What a ridiculous statement. Advance testing of all salmon is what we all want to further our understanding of pacific pathogens and viruses. This is the product of the cohen commission. What. You only want farm fish tested to suit you beliefs. Again, Your call. But it that was the case we would learn nothing.

They can go ahead and try to close down our hatcheries, many of them volunteer funded and operated. If they think they have taken some political heat on the underfunding of Search and Rescue and the Coast Guard they have not seen anything compared to what will happen if they Pizz off hundreds of thousands of anglers by trying to kill off our hatcheries out of spite and political gamesmanship.

Ill be pissed too but the case will not differentiate between the farm introductions with prv and hatchery fish with prv. That how I see it. And it was not a industry scheme to say that. It was my idea and I, as far as I know am the first to suggest it. Just makes sense to me that if it is found to be wrong for a farm to do it why would it be right in any other situation.

I would point out that neither Alaska ranching nor local Pacific Salmon enhancement hatcheries use Alien Atlantic Salmon with their Atlantic diseases. Diseases that Pacific Salmon have not evolved to be resistant too.

It is not 100 % certain which prv this is and it has proven itself to be none harmful to atlantics and pacifics. As bad as you want this to be a european imported virus it just is not so. If it was why would any one invest money in them. Why would marine harvest even bother putting those fish in the water if they were all going to die. Why would the new closed containment project do it. Why would any hatcher program do it. It just doesn't make sense. Yet you insist that it is a doomsday situation in any scenario.

Or you have a naturally developed small level of intelligence. Shame on you birdsnest to defend this pest. And with very little substance at that.

Big difference between hatchery fish released into the wild to disperse and fend for themselves and adult salmon in a pen breeding disease while the smolts swim past.

What you don't understand birdsnest (or fail to acknowledge) is nature never intended for salmon smolts to come in contact with adult salmon that's what keeps the adult parasites away from the smolts.

The adult spawners come in, spawn, die and decompose. Months later the smolts emerge there are no adult salmon around spreading disease... Until they pass your fish farm.

This is the way I see it.........

Not proven, so it isn't so!

The national anthem of the fish farms.

We can do whatever we want until we find out it is harmful.......

Moto of the fish farms!

It will hurt our economy to stop now (and our pocketbooks)

Motivation of the fish farms.

Big difference between hatchery fish released into the wild to disperse and fend for themselves and adult salmon in a pen breeding disease while the smolts swim past.

What you don't understand birdsnest (or fail to acknowledge) is nature never intended for salmon smolts to come in contact with adult salmon that's what keeps the adult parasites away from the smolts.

The adult spawners come in, spawn, die and decompose. Months later the smolts emerge there are no adult salmon around spreading disease... Until they pass your fish farm.

You forgot about the Chinook, Coho and Sockeye that spend a year or more in the same rivers those adults die in en-mass....

Imagine those little guys swimming around dodging Cutties while the rotting corpses of the year decompose all around them.

Funny thing is, the species that go straight out to the ocean - Pinks and Chum - seem to be doing quite well in many areas with farms present.

Not quite that simple.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the Harrison sockeye that have done so well while existing the rivers in their first year!

This is the way I see it.........

Not proven, so it isn't so!

The national anthem of the fish farms.

We can do whatever we want until we find out it is harmful.......

Moto of the fish farms!

It will hurt our economy to stop now (and our pocketbooks)

Motivation of the fish farms.

I could come up with a little jingle about the hypocrisy of the fish killers harping on the fish growers - but that wouldn't really contribute much to the discussion.

BTW - Is that the Langara Fishing Lodge dock in your avatar?

What more evidence do you guys (CK, Birdsnest and others) need? Providing evidence page after page, and having you guys say nothing other than "more misinformation" is really starting to make you guys look pretty bad. Im really not sure why you guys think it is so important to spend so much time here to spread your verbal crap here, but its much like the fish you raise do to our oceans......pollute.
I dont think you are changing anyones views on the issues. Salmon feedlots dont work....sorry, but its long overdue that they leave.

Back