Last two decades

P

Pablo2079

What changes have you noticed on the saltwater over the last 20 years?

Some of the things I've noticed are:

(my observations are in the Strait of Georgia)

More Seals
Less Logs in the Water
Less Sport and Commercial Fishing
Fewer Fish (bait and salmon)
More "green" cloudy water
More Crab

my theory on the loss of salmon is not s o mcuh what is happening around bc but what happens outside the 200 mile boarder. ive heard lots of salmon get caught by the squid fishermen

my theory on the loss of salmon is not s o mcuh what is happening around bc but what happens outside the 200 mile boarder. ive heard lots of salmon get caught by the squid fishermen

I agree that the squid fisherman (and driftnetters) impact the salmon out past 200 miles, but most Chinook don't go that far out. The pink, coho, sockeye and chum do...... Makes me wonder why the Chum seem to be so successful when the others aren't doing so well.

I agree that the squid fisherman (and driftnetters) impact the salmon out past 200 miles, but most Chinook don't go that far out. The pink, coho, sockeye and chum do...... Makes me wonder why the Chum seem to be so successful when the others aren't doing so well.

I think Johnstone Strait was probably way overfished and that the groups of fish that would "prefer" that route disappeared. I have read the more fish will go the "inside" route when it's an El Nino year (I suppose it's due to the water temps). I've also read that the salinity in the Strait of Georgia has been decreasing which is affecting the salmon, but I'm not sure how.

I think Johnstone Strait was probably way overfished and that the groups of fish that would "prefer" that route disappeared. I have read the more fish will go the "inside" route when it's an El Nino year (I suppose it's due to the water temps). I've also read that the salinity in the Strait of Georgia has been decreasing which is affecting the salmon, but I'm not sure how.

some bad things just south of you boys.more seals, herring beds destroyed.the big rafts of seabirds are gone.ling cod open 2 months out of the year,salt water cops everyware and lost fishing rights Our government couldn't manage an aquarium with gold fish.Also more indians who see fit to exterimate the entire specices in the name of cerimonial fish

john vanIeperen

some bad things just south of you boys.more seals, herring beds destroyed.the big rafts of seabirds are gone.ling cod open 2 months out of the year,salt water cops everyware and lost fishing rights Our government couldn't manage an aquarium with gold fish.Also more indians who see fit to exterimate the entire specices in the name of cerimonial fish

john vanIeperen

Back