Langford, Kemp, and Elk Lake

S

steelrainbow

Just got back from my fly fishing vacation in Vancouver Island specifically Langford, Kemp, and Elk Lake. I was hoping to land a Bass or two (never caught one yet) but got skunked in my attempts. I did catch and released some beautiful cuts and bows. Overall, the experience was "fun"tastic but hopefully next time I'll be able to hook into one of those ellusive smallmouths.:) Well, I'll be back in October to try my luck again.:)

I fished Elk and Langford about 4 weeks ago, before I headed down to LA for some serious largemouth fishing (Castaic lake) and the trout and "cutties" where definately NOT co-operating. What method's where you using on your trip???

I fished Elk and Langford about 4 weeks ago, before I headed down to LA for some serious largemouth fishing (Castaic lake) and the trout and "cutties" where definately NOT co-operating. What method's where you using on your trip???

I caught most of my cuts and bows with chironomids on a floating line with a strike indicator and micro leeches on a Type III sinking line while trolling.

My main goal on this trip was to fish for some smallmouth bass but I just couldn't buy one. I tried nearly all the different flies in my arsenal but to no avail.

I got some feedback from Bill Luscombe (see Fly Fishing Forum) as to what to use and where to fish for Bass. I'll be sure to give it a try when I head back in October. Were you fortunate enough to land a smallmouth, if yes, what did you use and where?

I caught most of my cuts and bows with chironomids on a floating line with a strike indicator and micro leeches on a Type III sinking line while trolling.

My main goal on this trip was to fish for some smallmouth bass but I just couldn't buy one. I tried nearly all the different flies in my arsenal but to no avail.

I got some feedback from Bill Luscombe (see Fly Fishing Forum) as to what to use and where to fish for Bass. I'll be sure to give it a try when I head back in October. Were you fortunate enough to land a smallmouth, if yes, what did you use and where?

I have never really tried to fish for smallmouth's in Elk or Langford, from what I hear Langford's smallmouth fishing has suffered in recent times due to the females nest's being disturbed therefore leading to low spawning success.
I am however catching a lot of Largemouth here in SoCal upto 9lb 9oz on large immitation plastics 10" puple worms, crayfish etc etc and can't wait to try these techniques in Elk in a few weeks time.

I have never really tried to fish for smallmouth's in Elk or Langford, from what I hear Langford's smallmouth fishing has suffered in recent times due to the females nest's being disturbed therefore leading to low spawning success.
I am however catching a lot of Largemouth here in SoCal upto 9lb 9oz on large immitation plastics 10" puple worms, crayfish etc etc and can't wait to try these techniques in Elk in a few weeks time.

I've spent quite a few days on Elk lake recently, and although I don't target them myself I haven't seen alot of bass being caught. The trout fishing, however, has been excellent. Trolling a minnow about 20' deep has been producing a surprising amount of trout in the 20" range. I wonder what that says about the theory that bass introduction will wipe out the trout fishing.

I've spent quite a few days on Elk lake recently, and although I don't target them myself I haven't seen alot of bass being caught. The trout fishing, however, has been excellent. Trolling a minnow about 20' deep has been producing a surprising amount of trout in the 20" range. I wonder what that says about the theory that bass introduction will wipe out the trout fishing.

well maybe smallmouths won't take an adult trout but as soon as the "stockies" go in down here the largemouth and stripers are lining up for dinner!!!!

well maybe smallmouths won't take an adult trout but as soon as the "stockies" go in down here the largemouth and stripers are lining up for dinner!!!!

Hi ya steelrainbow. I grew up on the Island and did a fair amount of flyfishing for smallies. 3 good lakes for them are glen, langford and Matheson. Eary season try maggot and crayfish imitations fished slowly on the bottom. But for the most fun i liked to fish late july early august, just before the sun went down with little wooden poppers. Drives the bass crazy, they jump out of the water and smashem hard.

Good luck.

Hi ya steelrainbow. I grew up on the Island and did a fair amount of flyfishing for smallies. 3 good lakes for them are glen, langford and Matheson. Eary season try maggot and crayfish imitations fished slowly on the bottom. But for the most fun i liked to fish late july early august, just before the sun went down with little wooden poppers. Drives the bass crazy, they jump out of the water and smashem hard.

Good luck.

Good luck.

quote:
But for the most fun i liked to fish late july early august, just before the sun went down with little wooden poppers.

Luckynuts,

Thanks for the tips. Might be able to fish those lakes you suggested sometime late July or second week of August. Hope I do as well as you did, if not, a bass or two will suffice. Cheers :).

Back