kingfisher vs hewescraft vs north river which would you reccomend?

JuBy

my dad is looking into getting a 17-20 ft welded aluminum and is considering the above mentioned brands of boat...was wondering if anyone has had experience with them or can pass along any tips or information I can pass along to my dad before he spends the big bucks!

cheers,

Juby

ironwood is the best but they start at 20ft i think. silverstreak is probably good as well.
Heres a list of tips :
1. Buy direct from the manufacturer. If you buy from a dealer, the price will include a 15-30% mark-up. If the price is comparable, the boat you get will likely be made of inferior, cheaper material. The finish may look great but you buy an aluminium boat for its durability, not its great-looking carpet, decals, and beaded upholstery.
2. Ideally, for a saltwater boat the hull plating should be 1/4" (6mm) for the transom and bottom and 3/16” (5mm) for the sides. At the very least, the plating for the sides should be 5/32” (4mm). Once you have the plating established, check out how the hull is put together and how it is welded, including the spacing of the welds, whether the hull welded continuously inside and out and whether the hull has a keel and frames. Nothing matches the strength of a full keel welded into the hull plates if you hit a log or rock.
3. The framing of a boat is very important. The framing should be done with aluminium parts welded in place to create a “skeleton” or “egg crate” in the hull. Instead of completing the aluminium framing in the hull, another way of finishing the hull is to spray foam in the air space in the hull. The foam expands into the space making a solid block. It is a good way to build a hull and some fibreglass boats are built in this manner but there are the following drawbacks: (a) There are differences between spraying foam in a fibreglass hull and an aluminium hull. The combination of the foam, saltwater and aluminium will cause electrolysis on the inside of the hull, which damages the hull; (b) If a repair is required, having the foam backed up against the aluminium makes the welding very difficult. As the aluminium is heated, the foam burns and the gas created from the burning foam explodes out through the area where the aluminium is being welded. (c) The foam can absorb up to 10% water so a 25’ hull could have as much as 450lbs of water held in the foam. You'll notice some boats have a channel up the centre of the boat to help drain the water away from the foam. With a channel, there is less foam and less foam means less strength.
4. Consider the alloys used in construction of the boat. The smaller boats (under 22’) are generally made with 5052, although the option exists of using 5086 or 5083. Commercial boats using 5052 that have over 10,000 hours of use have been built. Boats over 24’, should use 5/16” 5086 plate, rather than ¼” plate. There are even stronger alloys such as 5383, 5754, and "Sealium" but cost and availability is a factor as these alloys are not widely used.
5. Take one for a test ride. People will research and test-drive cars for 3-6 months before buying but will not do the same for a boat. There is no consumer reports for aluminium boats so it is up to you to learn what makes a boat durable and, most importantly, what will give you a safe, comfortable, and dry ride. Make sure the conditions are comparable when you test ride a boat.
6. There are boat-building standards but, unlike cars, there is no testing agency to ensure that the boats are built to those standards. Once again, it is up to you and the integrity of the builder to make sure the standards are met or exceeded. Ensure it meets the European standard ISO 12217-3:2013 for boats less than 6m in addition to Transport Canada standards. Add another level of buoyancy using seaworthy boat airbags if the craft does not self bail.
7. Certification by the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) does not assure quality. A CWB certified company is allowed to employ an uncertified welder for as long as 2 years. As well, a welder can be certified for only horizontal weld to save money but may be required to do vertical and overhead welds as well when building a boat.
8. Make sure the self-bailing deck self bails. You don't want a boat that requires an electric bilge pump to keep it afloat.
9. Some boats use aluminium frame windows for the two side slider windows and rubber trim for the rest. Rubber set windows leak after time.
10. Make sure that you can get access to the fuel tank. When it comes time to do a repair on the fuel system, the last thing you want to do is to use an electric power tool to get access to the fuel tank.
11. Consider the differences between a four-piece bottom and a one-piece bottom: (a) A one-piece bottom is used to save the time of fitting and welding the chines and keel. By using a one-piece bottom, the builder is limited in the shapes into which the plates can be rolled. A four-piece bottom gives more flexibility. (b) A one-piece bottom is no stronger than a hull assembled out of different parts. The welding process weakens the aluminium plate because the temper is removed when you apply heat. This applies whether there is one piece or four.
12. Aluminium cut using a computer-controlled cutting table produces a finer/nicer- looking hull. Whereas a person using a saw can cut to within a .125” (1/8”) tolerance on a good day, a computer-controlled cutting table can cut the same piece to within .05" every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do your research, a lot of the 'boutique' builders, especially on the island and locally, build a good product (Silver streak, lifetimer, North West Alu. Daigle, etc - all $$$). There are some good threads on here as well if you search.

Nothing wrong with a used custom built boat either. Remember, you can change the engine, accessories, etc. But you can't change the hull design!

JuBy,

I purchased a Hewescraft 24ft Pacific Explorer last year after doing a lot of research and comparisons. I included Harbercraft Kingfisher and the North River Seahawk OS in my research. I found that the Hewescraft had what I was looking for at the price point I wanted to pay. I had owned a Campion Explorer before and knew the key things I was after. I really liked the custom builds like the Silver Streaks but for the same size they were out of my price range. Overall I am very happy with my purchase after one summer of use. It is a no frills boat and doesn't have many bells and whistles, which is what I was after. The Harbercrafts and Northrivers were definitley nicer inside. I had time on my side and was able to negotiate hard. I found my best deal on the Canadian side of the border.

That said it looks like your dad is looking at a different sized boat than I have. I would encourage you/him to go see all of them personally in order to make a desicion. You will likely find certain things in all of them that you like. In the Hewescraft line the Sportsman or ProV may be something to look at. I have had the oppurtunity to ride in a Sportsman and it is a sturdy boat. The North River Seahawks look like a mighty fine boat as well. I think the Silver Streaks are likely a bit more heavy duty than the Harbercrafts and Hewescrafts.

Good luck with the hunt.

North river would be my pick of those, I also like wooldrige and stabicraft.

There are many great aluminum builders.most build an Off Shore series. Duckworth ,Bolton , Weldcraft, Thunderjet and Wooldridge are only a few of the builders.

As others have said. In addition to your research, take the boats you are interested in for good rips in variable water and compare handling and characteristics. Efficient hulls with great handling translate into comfort, stability, and savings at the gas pumps. The kingfishers do have a superior ride and handling to other boats I have tried.

I chose North River but went 21'. Of the three in the 21/22' they were the one with the .250 bottom the other 2 are .190. If you can push the size up to 21'. Happy with mine. I looked at Ironwoods, Silver Streak, Wolf and a few others. Nice boats but I wanted to get into something for a bit less coin. Either way do your research. I looked at some Weldcrafts at the boat show and liked them too. Good luck.

I bought a Hewescraft 24' Pacific Explorer last year and Love it! Self bailing deck is a must on whatever boat you decide to get. Three 55 gallon fish wells, Huge storage areas, aft helm and controls, air ride seats ... awesome boat. Great price.

We have a 20' Hewes Craft 'Sea Runner' with a few options. Really enjoy the boat but like others have posted _ most similar brands do have differences. It becomes a personal like or dislike of which brand you decide to purchase....Plus how deep your pockets are. :)

They of course do depreciate from their original new price, but you should be able to find a good low hour used one for basically 1\2 the price.

The Hewscraft 'Sportsman' is their most popular model but is basically to be used for Bay or River Fishing... If you fish off shore look for a 'Sea Runner' ~ Over all we are very pleased with ours.

.Alumaweld are also a good boat_ North River are also very nice but we found them to be too pricy . ...BTW, as a used boat , all 3 of the one's mentioned tend to hold their value very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone looked at fuel efficiencies and the various hulls? I am looking at aluminum but when I look at fuel efficacies I tend to see more of a focus on horsepower and speed. With fuel at $1.50/litre in Ukee I have friends who charter out of there who are looking at their boats totally differently now. If I were to look at Fibreglass I could work with Arima or C Dories and sacrifice speed and certain comforts for these boats. Is there a model of aluminum boat that would have similar characteristics? I am thinking of 20-22 feet with a small cabin for overnight trips. I commercially fished for many years and don't need a yacht but appreciate a dry bunk and a cup of coffee each morning.

Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 is an awesome mid-size fishing boat. They're hard to find, but handle amazing and are quite efficient for long runs.

I bought a Hewes 18.5 Sportsman in 2007 and it has served me well. Not a "lick" of problem.

I have had it over to the WCVI many times and as long as you watch the weather/seas you can fish almost anywhere. I however do not venture like 20 miles offshore. Usually stick within 6-8 miles of shoreline in case of sudeen weather blowup and it then it can be a very slow/rough run in.

As I live in Langley it is also perfect for the Fraser all year round.

My 2 cents.

Bought a 18ft Hewescraft Searunner in 2008, love the boat but sure wish I had a spent the extra money and bought a 20footer my I love my boat i just wish i had the extra room, and the smoother ride the extra 2 ft gives you

Don't make the same mistake i did regardless of which make, get a 20 footer you will be happy you did, at least take a test ride in a 18ft and a 20ft boat before you buy

Back