Kinder Morgan goes rogue, proving it can’t be trusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please share your stream surveys with us, then 3x5...

Please re-read my post, I said; Having zero data in front of me

Care to venture a guess from your experience and extensive searching prowess?

empty-bun.jpg

Just for some perspective, what percentage of viable spawning beds in this river do the mats occupy? Having zero data in front of me I'd be willing to wager that if I rounded it to the nearest whole number it would be zero.

It's more that if they are showing this level of disregard for legal proceedings, obligations and environmental impact before pipeline construction is even begun, then what are they gonna do when it's constructed?

The places they are installing the nets in aren't even signed off yet, they are disrupting salmon just on the off-chance the route gets approved.

The company has a terrible record at dealing with the inevitable leaks and spillage and this isn't exactly instilling confidence.

True enough but I can't see you doing it! Fwiw, I think the mats are are a good and innovative idea. Too bad a little more time wasn't put into permitting and approvals.

They don't really have that time though.

Every month/year that goes by the economics of the pipeline look worse with the rise in renewables/DIRT cheap natural gas in the US/chinas massive push away from burning fossil fuels

Even taking the economics out of the thing, the longer they take, the more the 'social license' (if they ever had it) slips away from them. If they don't manage to grind this thing through and force it in in the next couple of years, it's not going to happen - it's getting real hard to justify endangering the local coastal environment (and the thousands of jobs that depend on it) for the sake of around 200 permanent jobs and a bunch of money made for Kinder Morgan shareholders. Royalty payments are a joke, so it's not even like the country would really see any additional income from the expanded operations.

And if they don't get the infrastructure in the ground, at some point people are going to ask why we are subsiding the oil companies so much. Oil isn't going away anytime soon, but it's definitely not a growing market anymore and there is more and more money to be made in other energy sources

This also isn't even mentioning our climate change obligations.

rise in renewables/DIRT cheap natural gas in the US/chinas massive push away from burning fossil fuels

Global demand is increasing and forecast to do so for a long time. It's not just for gasoline, even electric cars need it for all their plastic.

“Key growth isn’t to power transportation ... rather oil as an input into other products, particularly into petrochemicals and fabrics,”

Not really.
If so - we appear to be going in circles - and you appear to know more than anyone else. Apparently, even the NEB knew enough to know they didn't know enough. Apparently not Kinder though. Kinder thought it was easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission - and screw any fish or fisheries concerns.

Every month/year that goes by the economics of the pipeline look worse with the rise in renewables/DIRT cheap natural gas in the US/chinas massive push away from burning fossil fuels... Oil isn't going away anytime soon, but it's definitely not a growing market anymore and there is more and more money to be made in other energy sources...This also isn't even mentioning our climate change obligations.
Seeing the light: Oilsands, mining companies watch B.C. solar project with intrigue
Renewables become an option for defunct mining sites
By Kyle Bakx, CBC News Posted: Jun 27, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kimberley-sunmine-oilsands-teck-1.4178082

Global demand is increasing and forecast to do so for a long time. It's not just for gasoline, even electric cars need it for all their plastic.

“Key growth isn’t to power transportation ... rather oil as an input into other products, particularly into petrochemicals and fabrics,”
Turning bitium into plastic? That would be an epic breakthrough that I'm not aware of. Please show us where you got this information from. My understanding is the products that you get from bitium are burned as fuel in one form or another.

Kinder Morgan: Swift Creek
Video and photos of anti-spawning mats installed in Swift Creek by Kinder Morgan, a Texas pipeline company hoping to cut a trench across this important Chinook spawning area near Valemount. Images gathered October 29, 2017 by Dogwood B.C.
https://spaces.hightail.com/space/R3x984VZFE/files?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWVdZNU1UZ3lOREl4WWpSaSIsInQiOiJ3VWExUU1MNTJ4bG5yMVZVang0RkxlVlMzQXMybEFFXC9Ja2VwYTZ0b1dvMkZPenNLZ2MxczJIK1Y2Mm9xemppQnVmSFFuSmRDMVpjSWVKalpmMnQzK2t6Q3ZOaXdZMWxkUkZFcWxaaFBGQTcza0lXcERFdjRBbTlPV3JNWmxTbUEifQ==
Doesn't appear to be much spawning gravel in those videos ... hard to say what is under the mats in some areas but in others in seems like silt or sand. If KM wants to win a few partners on this particular stream, they might want to supply funding for future augmentation of spawning gravel.

Turning bitium into plastic? That would be an epic breakthrough that I'm not aware of. Please show us where you got this information from. My understanding is the products that you get from bitium are burned as fuel in one form or another.

Its all about breaking down the Carbon Chain in the "Cracking Process". Once various hydrocarbons are obtained from cracking, they are chemically processed to make hydrocarbon monomers and other carbon monomers (like styrene, vinyl chloride, acrylonitrile) used in plastics.

All kinds ofg great stuff in there

Doesn't appear to be much spawning gravel in those videos ... hard to say what is under the mats in some areas but in others in seems like silt or sand. If KM wants to win a few partners on this particular stream, they might want to supply funding for future augmentation of spawning gravel.

I noticed that about the picture also. My first thought was that it's quite possible that section the mats are covering is gravel that is suitable for spawning beds. The heaviest materials at one end, (rocks) lighter materials (gravel) in the center and lightest (sand) at the other. Also the cover of the vegetation (trees, and shrubs down to the waterline) in that section would afford the fish to feel more secure in that area for spawning. I bet you would think the same.
Image 9033 shows large boulders on top of the mats. I'm assuming they were put there by the people who placed the mats to keep them down. Or do you think they cut those mats to go around those boulders? would be interesting to know. maybe a bit of both. There are some places where it's unlawful to move rocks in a river. Not sure of this situation or if the rocks were actually moved. Still unlawful to have the mats there from what I've read without prior approval. And to have done this on many creeks shows it isn't just an isolated bonehead move. These guys are flaunting the law and feel impervious to an repercussions.

Last edited:
Yes fellas I'm aware of the process and products that you can get from crude oil. Kinder Morgan new pipeline is for Dilbit not crude oil. As far as I can tell the products that come from that are Jet, Gas, Diesel, Petcoke and not sure what else. The condensate part of the dilbit.... Don't know but if the Dilbit goes to Gulf Coast then chances are the condensate will make it back to Alberta to be mixed back into bitumen and shipped again. You fellas do know that Alberta imports a lot of condensate every day (~400,000 bbl/d ) to keep the machine running and it mostly comes from the US.

Alberta has a program to get more value out of their hydrocarbon resource. I guess we will see how that works out. Note the part about the plastic pellets.
https://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/2017/03/refineries-wheres-value/

Last edited:
"...a slap in the face to our democratic ideals..."
The only democracy these people understand is when their side wins 100% of the time. This pipeline has been approved by a democratically elected government. What part of "democratic ideals" is that you don't understand?
These people are bound and determined that Canada will be the next economic Greece. Why is it the whiny minority feel they speak for the majority?

What happens when the Supreme Court rules in favor of Kinder Morgan? Here is a group that refuses to accept the rule of law. Lock them up if they can't play that basic premise.

Don't be so sure of yourself and before you start your "lock her up" shyt that the Alt-Right is famous for in Alberta you best read this.
http://calgaryherald.com/business/e...by-over-trans-mountain-pipeline-permit-delays

Well it sure illustrates the perspective of the so-called "pro" venture capital fanatics, anyways. Any faint promise of the word "jobs" w/o any real commitment nor proof is enough for them to line up on what they consider is a "side" - rather than demanding good governance. It also demonstrates the lack of understanding of our legal system and governance, IMHO.

Sue the pants off Burnaby to recover costs + punitive damages and do the same with any other leftist outfit standing in the way.

It's will be good when we expand to ride water. Sunny days my friends, sunny days
Are the South Resident Killer Whales Leftists too and how can they sue for punitive damages for getting in their way? It will never get expanded my friend, never, the Killer Whales won't allow it. They are smart businesscreatures too risky for them with no return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back