Kinder Morgan goes rogue, proving it can’t be trusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foastry has flagin tap left behind .the mountans are littered with peoples crap tape, to keep within the bounderys.why not put the crap in the rivers to detour the fish.
If they put the mats where there was suitable spawning habitat for a particular species before that species spawned - and there was limited suitable spawning habitat elsewhere in that stream - that would potentially cause unsuccessful spawning to happen - or even to fail.

You would need to look at the whole stream and the timing beforehand - something I would bet the NEB has no jurisdiction over - nor possibly any interest in. If it happened in a stream with stocks at a low population number - it could have serious negative effects. That would sure as h*ll *NOT* be "mitigating" impacts...

"...a slap in the face to our democratic ideals..."
The only democracy these people understand is when their side wins 100% of the time. This pipeline has been approved by a democratically elected government. What part of "democratic ideals" is that you don't understand?
These people are bound and determined that Canada will be the next economic Greece. Why is it the whiny minority feel they speak for the majority?

What happens when the Supreme Court rules in favor of Kinder Morgan? Here is a group that refuses to accept the rule of law. Lock them up if they can't play that basic premise.

Do you see how small these mats are... We are talking about 30-40 meters long..... They are there to prevent fish from spawning in the very SMALL location so that none of the eggs are harmed... Also they are not cutting a trench through the river... They bore under it...Blown way out of proportion
Well, I think the problem is the NEB was given jurisdiction over the pipeline RoW by Harper and his crooks - removed from DFO so that their financial backers (re: other crooks) could move ahead on their venture capital ideas.

SO, NEB obviously couldn't give a sh*t about how any particular creek works - just where a proposed pipeline crosses. In isolation - ya - maybe it is only 40m or so. That's the problem - it is done in isolation. That sure as h*ll doesn't an understanding of what species of fish spawn where - or if that 40m was reasonably critical spawning habitat. I'll reserve judgement on the effects until a stream survey is done. And they were told not to by the NEB, anyways...

The only democracy these people understand is when their side wins 100% of the time. This pipeline has been approved by a democratically elected government. What part of "democratic ideals" is that you don't understand?
These people are bound and determined that Canada will be the next economic Greece. Why is it the whiny minority feel they speak for the majority?

What happens when the Supreme Court rules in favor of Kinder Morgan? Here is a group that refuses to accept the rule of law. Lock them up if they can't play that basic premise.
Interesting perspective you have considering your handle "I Love Haida Gwaii". I guess you never heard of the 1985 protest as that area would be a lot different if not for some civil disobediance by concerned activists.https://thetyee.ca/Life/2010/11/25/SayHawaa/ . All depends on who's Ox is getting gored but i'm sure the voiceless spawning salmon appreciate the support for their birthplace and final resting spot.

Do you see how small these mats are... We are talking about 30-40 meters long..... They are there to prevent fish from spawning in the very SMALL location so that none of the eggs are harmed... Also they are not cutting a trench through the river... They bore under it...

Blown way out of proportion

I think you have been misinformed about the rivers crossings on this project. Here is a list of the crossings in that area that going to be "trenchless", bore under it as you say.

"Construction of the Trans Mountain Expansion Project in the North Thompson region includes approximately 275 km of pipeline and four pump stations. Construction is expected to take place between September 2017 and November 2019. The majority of the construction will follow conventional pipeline construction techniques, with trenchless techniques being used for the North Thompson River, Blue River, Raft River, Clearwater River and Mann Creek crossings. In these locations, a horizontal directional drill will be used to minimize impacts and disruption to these areas."
https://www.transmountain.com/north-thompson

Here are the crossings from the news report.

"Stephen said in an interview from Chilliwack on Monday that the affected streams in B.C. are located in the Valemount area, and include Swift Creek, Camp Creek, Serpentine Creek, Chappell Creek, and three crossings of Albreda River."
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2017/10/1...untain-biologist-over-unauthorized-river-work

So you see that contrary to your understanding the fact is those crossing will be trenched just like the video that was posted depicts. The real question is how much damage are they going to make and how long will it take those crossing to recover.

This is important as the news report mentions that these are spawning beds for salmon that are key to some of the regulations that our local recreation anglers are concerned about.

"Stephen asserts in the letter that "this apparently unproven spawning deterrent method" was applied to eight streams, one in Alberta and seven in B.C., that Trans Mountain considered to have a high “fish habitat sensitivity rating” in documents filed with the National Energy Board.

Among the fish species with conservation concerns found in those rivers are bull trout, chinook salmon, and Interior Fraser River coho salmon."
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2017/10/1...untain-biologist-over-unauthorized-river-work

The reason why we have not had wild coho retention for the last 20+ years are because of our impacts on IFR coho. Now this pipeline is impacting the spawning beds of these coho and that is what is troubling.

Well, I think the problem is the NEB was given jurisdiction over the pipeline RoW by Harper and his crooks - removed from DFO so that their financial backers (re: other crooks) could move ahead on their venture capital ideas.

SO, NEB obviously couldn't give a sh*t about how any particular creek works - just where a proposed pipeline crosses. In isolation - ya - maybe it is only 40m or so. That's the problem - it is done in isolation. That sure as h*ll doesn't an understanding of what species of fish spawn where - or if that 40m was reasonably critical spawning habitat. I'll reserve judgement on the effects until a stream survey is done. And they were told not to by the NEB, anyways...

The NEB told KM NOT to go ahead... and then when they found out they had gone ahead and started putting down these mats they sent them a really strong warning to remove them ASAP. Which they haven't done.

KM doesn't give a ****, either about the legal process, salmon spawning or anything else. They just want to get the infrastructure in the ground so they can use the sunk cost fallacy to continue to justify the millions of dollars of tax breaks and subsidies they get every year.

**** them, and **** the pipeline. People are organising to rip these mats out ourselves as apparently KM don't care what the NEB says.

Ironic you say that as KM got told NOT TO INSTALL ANY MATS by the NEB. And THEN when the NEB found the mats, they told them to remove them.

Both of which legal obligations KM ignored. Check out the letter sent to KM by the NEB on Oct 12th

http://www.neb-one.gc.ca/pplctnflng/mjrpp/trnsmntnxpnsn/index-eng.html

**** them, and **** the pipeline. People are organising to rip these mats out ourselves as apparently KM don't care what the NEB says.
That's exactly what I would do - rip em out!

Last edited:
Your posts are becoming more and more militant, aa. Are we going to see you on a protest line soon?

True enough but I can't see you doing it! Fwiw, I think the mats are are a good and innovative idea. Too bad a little more time wasn't put into permitting and approvals.

not so sure spawning fish would agree with your posts...

Just for some perspective, what percentage of viable spawning beds in this river do the mats occupy? Having zero data in front of me I'd be willing to wager that if I rounded it to the nearest whole number it would be zero.

Just for some perspective, what percentage of viable spawning beds in this river do the mats occupy? Having zero data in front of me I'd be willing to wager that if I rounded it to the nearest whole number it would be zero.
Please share your stream surveys with us, then 3x5...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back