Keeping Chinook Fishing Open from Sidney to Sooke

Governor

DFO could close chinook fishing for several months (March 1 to June 30) this spring around the south Vancouver Island approach waters of the Fraser River. This could impact anglers from Cowichan, Southern Gulf Islands, Sidney, Oak Bay, Victoria, Pedder Bay, Cheanah round to Sooke at Sheringham Pt.

Some of the wild Early Timed Fraser, Early Summer Fraser and Summer Fraser Chinook weak stocks that pass us by each spring do need rebuilding. Returns have been dropping for several years. Conservation is the key here</u> to sustainability of these weak stocks. Without question the FN Food, Ceremonial and Social Fishery on the Fraser has priority over all groups but only after conservation has been met. So commercial and recreational anglers WILL bear the brunt of any conservation management measures regardless.

DFO have suggested special catch reporting is vital if our public fishery is to remain open to chinook during that time. Without it being in place this year and for the next few years the chinook fishery may well close. A proactive move by us, the local angling community, to broaden the reporting of our catch during the times where those weak stocks migrate through would be a very defensible position to take to DFO. However, as part of proposed special catch reporting requirements, there is a need for about 30 anglers (charters and joe tin boaters) who actively fish during that time and in those waters to voluntarily report catch in detail on each trip via a written logbook program.

So I ask ...Do you all want to stay on the water fishing for chinook this spring?

If so ... How many of YOU would be willing to participate in a carefully managed logbook reporting program?

This is not a nasty joke, it's real folks so we need to work proactively and cooperatively as an angling community to maintain our chinook opportunity. </u>

Please respond and help make this a good news topic

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

I'll report them,

As a note, all of the fish I have been getting are hatchery marked. Last year 97% of my DFO head returns were from the Nisqually river in Puget Sound, the remainder were of American origon but smaller unknown hatcheries. These were fish caught from November to May 30th 2008.

www.tailspincharters.com

If they shut us down then they better go as high as nananimo or beyond as well for I know last year they were hammering bigger fish then anybody around up there, is DFO that stupid to think that the fraser run ONLY comes along the westcoast maybe they come down the georgia strait side as well???Forget I asked that I must remember this is DFO.

And when will they annouce this???? a day before on feb 28th ??????????? as we are still waiting and its close to 2 weeks from now from the last SFAB meeting when the DFO guy(kent) said we would know somethhing about the opening on that Friday by the 6th?????So I guess a feb 15th opening for halibut is out now????

IM REALLY getting tired of this whole thing and yes I have written 4 letters now and ill write another one soon I have clients in waiting wanting to book to come here and yet here we are waiting and waiting it is complete bull$hit.

Sure ill fill it all out for them but maybe there wont be anything but hatchery fish in it hmmmmmmm now that would be nasty woundnt it we dont get any but FN does?????? something very wrong here

Sorry my rant for the DAY

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

There are a few anglers in the Nanaimo region that work very closely with DFO along these same lines or very similar, and thy have done so for many years. This for certain is not a new idea, however if you enjoy angling in your region, it is an action that we all must support. If DFO does not have accurate data, how else, but to make the ominous decision to close an area, could they safeguard it to ensure escapement targets are met?? Our best option is to develop an accurate, tangible catch reporting process that will help develop a better understanding of what truly is happening to the salmon within all of our different regions in order to better create working relationships with all stakeholders of the resource and DFO management. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Just confirms what I was thinking [V]-- Port Hardy is looking better than ever for my fishing base this summer...

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Mason if the info we gave to DFO was truly taken and supported by us canadian people then yes i would have no problem what so ever in suppling correct and up to date data I keep a record of all my activities as it shows me a pattern.

BUTwith DFO and there track record with in seasons closures of halibut,salmon,prawns, reductions rules you lamost have to be a lawyer to figure everything out. oh and then a season opens for retention of sockeye to only close it 3 days later and then they allow a commercial opening.

They are worthless all the data they collect from what they get I really dont think they care!!!! 5% of halibut are taken from feb to the end of may and then it jumps up to a 100% by the end of sept and yet there it is in black and white where the problem lies (dfo document) ant YET we still dont have an opening for halibut.
And yet YOU want to support them yeah right

They want us to really trust them with all the crap they give us you might as well have a pack of wolves looking after a herd of elk because you know once your gone they will go in and make there own rules and eat everything up.

Ill say sorry now if I have offended you in anyway as I stat facts.

Thanks Wolf

quote:There are a few anglers in the Nanaimo region that work very closely with DFO along these same lines or very similar

Some of the tagged fish I catch off Nanaimo shows where there from when you send in the head. You can catch those same fish here as down around Vic.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Ill say sorry now if I have offended you in anyway as I stat facts.

Thanks Wolf

I am not at all offended by anything that you have stated, however please provide some facts for what you have said, as it really doesn't develop any concrete evidence other than to form substantiated evidence of a defunct system. All stakeholders must come to realize that each of DFO's decisions are made based on the most accurate data that is available to them from every source possible. In other words if DFO is working with skewed inaccurate data, then how could they possibly make a proper and accountable decision in favor of any entity other than for the sustainability of stocks, of which they are mandated to accomplish. My personal view is tell them the truth, share your data, give them the most accurate snapshot possible. The only way we can develop a working relationship to benefit all stakeholders is to cooperate to the fullest extent. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

If they want accurate data, why don't they ask us to turn in our old fishng licenses when we buy a new one. The major concern that I have is that if they take the data from "highliners" they may apply the data to all anglers and grossly over estimate the number of fish taken.

Mason All the info was shared with us on paper by DFO and a power point presentation, where else do you want the info from???????????they are using that as data so dont we?????? i dont know what you are asking?????and given to us...
this is nothing new i have it all here this has been going on now for 3 years its just that it has come out now finally there is alot more to come trust me we are not even into summer yet!!!!!!!!

So be forewarned

WE have given them numbers and facts from evrything but thet choose to ignore it.

Are you aware there is 14,000 ministry of fisheries employed in ottawa and they are the ones making decisions for the west I bet you my left nut that half of them havent even seen an ocean but they are the ones making decisions for us here nice really fng nice!!!!!!

Wolf

I am fully aware and am deeply engulfed in the stream of information that comes from many levels and sources throughout the industry, including but not limited to various factions that I choose to participate in. What I am conveying to you is, that DFO has never had a totally accurate in season snapshot of what the sporty's encounter. "In season snapshot" being the key phrase, it is absolutely crucial that we share this data in order to grantee our opportunities. You talk about a past opening and closing opportunity for sport caught sockeye, where a planned commercial opening continued while sport was idle by watching. Well sockeye have never been a sport priority option, it is a commercial priority below conservation and FN. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

quote:Well sockeye have never been a sport priority option,

OH MY GOD I cant believe you have just said that do you by any chance work for DFO???????

It wasnt that long ago the port alberni was standing room only for the early sockeye run which brought milions of $$$$$ to that town as people from all over went there hundreds of sportfisherman went there the town was a buzz tourist bucks were coming in which helped that town in a huge way now just like every fishing based town they are slowing bleeding and getting weak.

SO how to you think they get there info ???? they fly a plane around and count boats and then I could only imagine they put an number that most of us are getting a fish or 2.
So in fact if they keep cutting funding to policing the system well of course they wont get proper data but why should we have to "help" them out affter many many and repeated times they have screwed us????

If your wife/girlfriend cheated on you 5 or 6 times a year after a while are you going to cooperate with her???????if you do your a dumb man after a while you would get fed up and go I hope.why keep bashing your head in????

Wolf

Wolf, "we" as in sports anglers are not the only stakeholders in the equation, once you come to realize this and understand sharing a resource you will come to have far less stress in your life. Unfortunately we do not have priority in every fishery, historically we have had priority below conservation with chinook and coho, two highly regarded species in the sportfishing industry. It has hardly been 20 years since we have started to encroach and put our focus onto what had been previously regarded as commercial fish. It was only when chinook and coho stocks started to majorly crash did the sportsfishing community start to target other species in a big way. I agree that there have been many, many bad decisions made by DFO managers in the past, however, let me emphasize that was the past, today and tomorrow are what count now. If "we" don't want to bend in order to form a functional working relationship with all stakeholders and the managers of DFO, then "we" are going to be the group that gets left behind. Cooperation is our only option! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Im into doing whatever it takes to keep fishing open...from now to july...the crock of it is...i dont know who you are mason...you did not provide me a website or a phone number to confirm with someone from Fisheries that my volunteering efforts would indeed keep fishing open and me being able to keep chartering to help pay for my boat and mortgage and all the insurance companies i pay into...know what i mean? The government is working against us...not with us(sporties/guides)....why is there not a DFO website where we sporties could make suggestions to them or too report catches...Fisheries needs to get its head shook and there needs to be someone taking charge and making the right and fair decisions. that'll never happen but *$@! something needs to happen big time.

why is there not a DFO website where we sporties could make suggestions to them or too report catches...Fisheries needs to get its head shook and there needs to be someone taking charge and making the right and fair decisions. that'll never happen but *$@! something needs to happen big time.

BlackPearl, to answer your question the process is called SFAB and SFAC, get involved at the SFAC level, it is impotent that you do considering the emphasis that you have made in reference to your post and how the fishery relates to you as a "sporty" and how it effects your business. Work towards the long term gains, rather than the short term losses that each and every one of "us" has experienced. I shall reiterate, "let me emphasize that was the past, today and tomorrow are what count now. If "we" don't want to bend in order to form a functional working relationship with all stakeholders and the managers of DFO, then "we" are going to be the group that gets left behind. Cooperation is our only option!" Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Back