Kayaks for ocean bays, inlets, estuaries etc

Chasin' Dreams

We are looking to buy kayaks for our family for our boating trips up the coast this summer. Not looking to spend a lot of money since they won't be used an awful lot but still decent enough where we feel comfortable in them to tour around as we explore new places up the coast. They don't have to be rough wave kayaks etc cause we will just be using them in calmer areas were we stop to moor and explore for a while.
I was looking at reviews of the Costco ones they get in every year and they sound pretty decent for what we need them for. Great price and good size to be able to put 4 of them on top of our boat for traveling.
Any one have any advice/experience with kayaks for this purpose?
Hoping to not spend more than around $700 each for them. I think they usually have the Costco ones on sale for around $500-$600 or so.

I've had kayaks ranging from 6 to 17', with a couple similar to what you are looking for in the 10' range. Too short and flat bottomed and you won't go anywhere other than in circles. Make sure there is a bit of a keel to it so it tracks somewhat straight. Most of the 10-12' kayaks in the $500-600 range from Costco or Cnd Tire would be suitable for your purpose. Keep your ears open for demo days put on by MEC or Ocean River sports or similar companies and you can jump in and try out different models.

If I were you I'd buy used since those kayaks are pretty indestructable, unless you want a nice matching set. Also, I'd think about spending a bit more on two of the kayaks and getting ones with some storage compartments in them. I'd also get spray skirts for two of them if there is the possibility that you may want to be a little more adventurous.

Thank you very much Seagirt for that great knowledge filled reply! That gave me all the info I need to help us make our decision. :)

I have two of the Costco Kayaks that I strap to my boat. They come on sale for about $300 each spring.
As mentioned If you stop paddling you will turn. I have circumnavigated Mittlenautch Island with them. Used them up desolation sound, In the Cowichan Estuary and Mill Bay several times. I am not an adventrure or tour paddler, so they meet my needs.
I have a buddy with a narrower more expensive yak with a deep keel. It is much easier to paddle, but more tippy than mine. I have spent a couple of hours at a time in mine and been in two foot waves. it is comfortable and feels safe enough, although I would think that that is about the extent of it's capabilities. Oh and as mentioned there is not really any storage in them.
Have fun with your shopping

Thank you fish brain great info! Sounds like the Costco ones will be fine for what we need them for. We plan on mooring close to shore then take picnic stuff to shore then going for short exploring trips around the areas. We will be up Discovery and the East side of the island this year with them for a new exploration trip for us. We can just use back packs to take stuff to shore etc. if the storage in them isn't the greatest. $300 is a great price. Are those the same ones they sell in the USA Costco's? I think they are called Odyssey Pelican's in the USA stores.

Had a pair of annuak II's that I bought 30+ years ago when I was way younger/smaller, made in Renfrew Ont and have not been available for 20 yrs. Been on Atlantic, Pacific, and 100's of waters around the world, caught many species of fish both salt and fresh, had grizz, black bear and moose 1/4s many times. Weigh 40lbs and carry 400lbs. I agree with a keel, these have 3 and track perfectly straight when not paddling. Fit 2 perfectly on the DE hardtop, don't forget our local bass lakes, amazing fun. Whatever ones you decide on Chasin Dreams you will enjoy. Welcome to the club.

HM

I bought one of the Pelican Kayaks from Costco last summer. Used it about 10 times. Fits my needs, love the two flush rod holders in the back. Little dry storage hatch is handy, as is the flat storage area with bungy strap downs mounted. Was cheaper in store than online, Was ~$300. I love it. Going to be fun to nail pinks out of this summer.

Looks just like this, but mine is teal in colour and the one linked here doesn't have the two aft rod holders;

https://www.costco.ca/Pelican™-Odyssey-100X-Kayak-.product.100333947.html

Again, watch for them instore. I will be mounting a proper scotty rod holder on the front this spring when I get around to it.

Costco has an in store sale on their Pelican 10' Kayaks. They are now selling at 324.95. Saw one guy and his lady purchase 4 of them. The sale ends on April 2, 2017.

Good price! I'll sell the teal one I got last year, and get one of these red ones just so I don't have the teal one anymore.

Wow nice rig Wishin! Ya no doubt that's fully loaded. Bit more than what we're after. Do you fish off Ambelside? Have seen a guy fishing a sea kayak near the mouth of the Cap before. Was that you?

No I have never been over to the Cap but will for sure this summer. I have fished the Bell a bunch of times though - haven't caught anything yet (besides sole and a few dogfish) but my time will come this year!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the traps.
Its actually a cool boat - as you don't use a paddle, but instead use your legs kind of like a recumbent bike to push fins which propel you. And the seat is really comfortable - kind of like cruising along the water on your couch....

Back