Kamloops Lake Fishing Area

koonerrods

New to the area, not a ton of lake experience, lots of ocean and river from the island and QC's, looking to get into some lakes this summer, any tips around kamloops would be great. No power boat, looking at a pontoon or belly boat, so smaller lakes are great. Any tips would be great!

Thanks,
Kooner

No shortage to chose from. Kamloops area lakes are primarily managed for quality flyfishing and stocked with Pennask and other stocks that are primarily insectivores. There are lakes with natural populations that can be caught on spinners and such. My advice is to chose a few lakes and get to know them, rather than running around chasing reports of what was hot yesterday.

The GoFishBC lakes page for Region 3 will let you look at all the lakes in the area and get basic info, including directions, stocking info and topo maps: http://www.gofishbc.com/where-to-fish/location-map.aspx?regionID=3

Flyguys.net is a great website for Interior Lakes if you are a flyfisher or want to take it up.

Finally, a trip to one of the local tackle stores to chat with the staff will get you started.

As a starter, Stake, Jacko, Edith, Roche, Paul, Lac LeJeune and Paul are all close, easy access and offer fine fishing. Countless others once you master the basics of fly fishing chrionomids and the hatches that progress into the summer, many of which have been producing very big fish in good numbers this year.

Cheers!

Ukee

Jacko is fishing poorly this year. Locals aren't fishing it very much. The algae bloom will be coming shortly as well. Roche is fishing good for small fish. The big guys are few and far between since the winterkill a couple years ago. Edith is always fun. Caught them up to 6 lbs. Can get nice brookies as well. Stump Lake is where you will find most of the locals. Large fish have been caught. Usually gets windy around 1:00pm and you will get blown off. Plus it a very large lake. Heffley is a fun lake to check out. Fishing can be quite hot. Haven't heard to many reports from my buddies up there though. So I don't think they are fishing it much.

If you want a nice selection of smaller lakes to fish, I would go to the Roche area. There is quite a few small lakes that are easily fished from float tube/pontoon boat. There is a few good ones accessed by 4x4 or quad. They winter killed a few years ago, but should be getting better by now I would think. I haven't fished them in a few years because of the kill.

You could also hit the Chattaway lakes just outside of Merritt., close to Logan Lake. Pretty good fishing in that area on smaller lakes.

Back