Just about had enough of Courtney O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishmyster it all comes down to one thing be it river,salt,lake and even hunting people do not like guides for one reason and one reason only JEALOUSY!!!!!!! They figure we are the ones who take all the fish and when they see us catch fish day in and day out it pisses them off!!!!!
I cant tell you how many times at the dock people have some comments about the days catch by my clients some are positive some are not especially the ones who dont get a lot of fish and are to stubborn to notice what they are doing wrong you now exactlly what I am talking about there the ones asking you wht time,depth,color etc etc etc. I even had a guy bring me a anchovie set up and ask me on the dock to show him how to spin bait when I told him 300 bucks ill show you same as a charter at the time if you want a lesson!!!!!!!

You will never will its human nature.

Good luck Wolf

Heh guys, I know how to stop all the bickering.
You know, back when I was a kid. One day older brother and sister were playing with my toys! Not only that they had my very best ones! Now they were older and bigger and afforded an unfair advantage over me. I was appalled and outraged I went to my parents and complained bitterly to them. How come they get to play with my toys?
You know what they said to me? Quit your god dam whining. Get over it. Go back and share with the rest of them. If you can’t learn how get a long you can go play in the other room, by your self!!

I went back, kicked my brother, and than asked to play also.
This life lesson was learned at a young age for me.
I was brought up to look up to the govt. The ministery should act like adults in the said situation and somehow in a professional manner express to the complainers this same lesson rather than give them their own way.
Fishmyster

Fishmyster...I fish the stamp maybe a dozen times a year and have since I was a kid...my father and grandfather much more so...I grew up on the koksilah...my father enjoyed fishing enough to purchase a house on the river, so I consider my self to have been a pretty lucky kid...riding my bike every couple days to my favorite pools on the cow. I have honestly only had one memorable incident with a jet. I had been up at the crack fishing by myself on a piece of private property on the stamp, after about an hour of unsuccessful attempts of working a nice seam and tailout a nice 10 lber took my offering....at that exact moment it just so happened that a jet came around the corner at high speed, noticed I had a fish on and proceeded to stop and fish back and forth in the exact seam I was fishing!!while I was playing the fish..The young operator proceeded to stare me down??while he instructed his guests on where to cast....I landed the fish..released it and proceeded to sit on the bank and wait for them to go...they didn't leave...I did...That was my one and only time a jet has ever bothered me they usually rip right by going to what I would assume a better and more remote spot that the bankies couldn't reach? Now drift boat issues on the cow,,,thats a whole other issue...many blatant scenes. I have never had the opportunity to fish from a jet and I'm sure it is incredibly productive and probably the best way for guests to get bang for their buck. I am just a guy who likes to fish ..mostly alone and in my short life span have seen my home river go downhill(obviously not from jets) My only thought here would be to say that if all the negative energy I see put into complaining about others was put to good use our fishery would benefit immensly. I certainly don't have all the answers, but I would like to hope that all of you fellow fisherman's years of experience could be put to good use..ensuring the kind of fishing we have enjoyed would be able to be passed on to our grandchildren and theirs and so on....anyhow always interested to hear peoples positive and constructive ideas...my 3 cents...The house on the mouth of the river....p.s. I have no problem with guides they can be some of the most respectful and educated fisherman out there, living the dream!!but there are also #$!holes in all walks of life.

quote:Originally posted by Mouthhouse

The house on the mouth of the river...

...."Mouthhouse" - I get it now! That's a great nick, who would thunk it! Good on you ;):D

"Another serious issue that comes apparent while reading these proposal letters is that these complainers have a hate on for guiding. This I’ve seen before in Gold River by a Campbell river angler group. This I don’t think there is a cure for. Thankfully this attitude is shared by a very small % of the total anglers out there."

Really???

I'm thinking you are referring to the then existant Campbell River Branch of the SSBC when you refer to "a Campbell River angler group" and if so, you couldn't be more wrong when you state they "have a hate on for guiding."

Half the members of the branch were guides for goodness sake Ken.
Nobody had a hate on for guiding on the Gold and nothing the branch fought for (bait ban, powerboat ban) was designed to deter guides or guiding.
By the way, kind of ironic that it was you and your actions on the Gold that proved the final nail in the coffin for both bait useage and powerboat useage eh?

Thanks for that by the way.
It made my job a lot easier.

Take care.

wolf. take a flyin leap off your high horse buddy, thinkin that people are jealous because your a "guide", that has got to be the biggest load of crap i have ever heard, sure there are people out there that are might just be a little, but you are sounding just as bad as the so called called spey guys with that last comment,and nice job turnin a fellow fisherman down on some good advise from a guide[:eek:)], thats how guides get the bad rep,but lets get back to the issue and the reality of it is you dont want to run into a bunch of guides and a hundred people then first off DONT fish the SSS or the COW, hundreds of other spots to go, you just have to get out and find them,if you stop at the falls pool parking lot and theres 30 cars there, dont hike down and then be mad that there is to many guys!!!
ensure the future C&R
ps i hope that post by wolf raised a few hairs on you guides out there knowing there are guys like that givin you good ones a bad name.Not sayin your a bad guide wolfy just wrong choice of words!!

So I gather I am supposed to tell everyone all my trade secrets for nothing?????? hmmmm that sounds good for business wouldnt you say fisherman 69 I am not on on highhorse far from it some people who know me will say I am the farthest thing from that I run a safe calm business and to judge me by the little comment from what I wrote if in fact you are the least of my worries!!!!!!!!!I have shared a ton of info to people on and off the water and on here it gets to the point where I have to say NO!!!!!

People are infact jealous of us in the trade while you are sitting in a stuffy office,forklift or whatever you do you WISH you were out fishing as much as us guides do,if you say your not you are lieing I think you need to get down from your pony as well.

Your blasting me with less than a 60 posts cmon grow up please

GOOD LUCK WOLF

how to tie bait is a 'trade secret', yes i am sure you have a secret way to do it but to not help the guy out is ridiculous, and belive me, i am not judgeing you by that ONE comment,as your next post also proves to me,
Your blasting me with less than a 60 posts cmon grow up please

so in the end you can call me a liar because i definaly do not feel jealous of guides, and mabye its you son, that should 'grow up' because 2 posts or 10000 posts, doesnt mean sh&% in my mind, just proves you sit by the idiot box more than anybody eles!!

One of the "BIG" concerns should be the way in which MOE is now doing what they call public input.
The way they are doing it with your replies going to a web site that no one can see the results is just plain terrible.
You have no ideal what the real replies were as they do not make them public, nore do they add up as I fund out one one already.

There is a real need for MOE to go back to the communities and users and have PUBLIC MEETINGS as DFO does on these subjects.

However there are a number of people in MOE ( And the list goes very high in the bureaucracy) that want NO PUBLIC INPUT.

You all need to advise the Minister that this is not acceptable..

As an aside, it is time for groups and people to stop playing dog in the manger.

All you are showing all is the kind of person you really are.:(

Let's face it the sss is an artificial fishery. The efforts by the hatchery support a local economy which Port has become famous for. The rest of the arguments put forth by Courtney deal with the social aspect of the fishery which cannot and should not be legislated by the MOE.
Courtney has no business trying to bring about change to satisfy one group of society (i.e. fly fishers). I am a fly fisherman and I certainly find no need to bring these changes about. The sss is not my favourite place to fish due to the amount of (social) pressures put on the system by the high numbers of fishers so I find other places to fish. So what. Get over it Courtney and move on (maybe out of the province?). Courtney does not represent all fly fishers. Please don’t group us all with him!

The faults Courtney finds in others most certainly reflect the faults he exhibits himself on the water. Through the years I have made it a point to avoid him on the water due to his rude and obnoxious behavior. I have had less conflict with gear and sled guys on the sss then I have with Courtney!!!
Courtney from my observations you are driven by money.
You are a self promoter. You have sold your soul and those of others by writing articles about systems told to you in confidence. You say you have worked for the preservation to the fishery. When have you actually got your hands dirty working for the good of the fish at any work party? All your efforts have been so that you can self promote at BCFF meetings and other venues. Perhaps you should change the opening paragraph on your website.

I have never met Ken but from his letter he shares the passion for river fishing that I have. Right on with your letter!!! After the years spent on the river one can only gain knowledge and respect for it. Not like our Johnny come lately.
To the gear guys and sleders. I apologize. Again Courtney does not represent all fly fishers. Please don't group us all together. Not all Spey fishers wear pink tights under their waders!

If you want to shut Courtney up the solution is simple. Stop buying papers and magazines he writes in. If you advertise in these papers stop advertising. Tell the editor or sales staff your opinion. Call Andrew at Island Angler (753-2227) or email him at kolapub@yahoo.ca and let him know.

Dave H
I’m sorry to have ruffled your feathers with my other note. My appologies. Back in those days I do remember another angler with the initials D.B. who identified himself as a member of the said group. We talked for a bit one day exchanging feelings about jet boats and me guiding there. He explained that he and his friends were totally against roe, jets and guiding. He said felt that the river was too small of a resource to allow commercial activities and that there motions were nothing personal. He did make some sense. Anyways, It was late the other night, I was a little burned and emotional as I had just finished reading these proposal responses:

To whom it may concern
CONGRATULATIONS on the proposed modifications to the current steelhead fishing regulations. After years of diminished opportunity and lack of vision someone has finally come up with some COMMON SENSE changes with the AVERAGE RECREATIONAL ANGLER IN MIND!!!!!!!! I will give feedback on the proposals that I am familiar with and I think it is important to give a background of my experiences and knowledge as a current steelhead angler, former guide, former broodstocker, always fanatic.
After suffering through the dark ages of reduced opportunity and an increasingly skewed playing field (guides, jetboats, decreased access, blanket closures, gear restrictions) it is very refreshing and encouraging to see proposals designed to help enhance population concerns while simultaneously addressing the increasing frustration of dwindling numbers of recreational anglers, especially weekend bank anglers such as myself. If these proposals are endorsed you may even see some displaced anglers return to angling as well as hang on to the anglers already in place, otherwise I fear the trend of decreasing participation will continue.
It has been very frustrating watching measures on the Stamp be put in place that entrenched the "rights" of a select few (but well connected) guides, while simultaneously ignoring the growth of the phony "assistant guide" phenomenon allowing the "locals" with the resources to "test fish" using restricted equipment with impunity while excluding everyone else from this same opportunity. The previous leadership overseeing steelhead management did an admirable job with respect to habitat and to a lesser extent conservation measures but stubbornly refused to take any responsibility whatsoever over their mandate to maintain equitable access and quality angling opportunities for all anglers. This "head in the sand approach" ignoring the angling experience itself, particularly on the Stamp and to a lesser extent on the Cowichan and Gold is, in my opinion, largely responsible for where we are and why so many people have quit steelheading. Blanket closures, guides, phony assistant jet boat guides fishing with their buddies and decreasing public access have made it more and more difficult for the average recreational angler to get out and enjoy a quality day of fishing on the river. I used to fish with 12 other "fanatical fishing partners", there are now only 3 that still buy a license, the rest have quit in disgust and those of us that still fish are only fishing a fraction of what we used to.
Having fished steelhead on Vancouver Island since I was 16 years old (for the past 29 years) it saddens me to see how few opportunities are now available to the average recreational steelhead angler on Vancouver Island. As a result of my keen interest in steelhead fishing I used to fish from July to May on various streams on the island. Island streams that I fished on an annual basis included the Cowichan, Chemainus, Nanaimo, Englishman, Little Qualicum, Big Qualicum, Gold, Salmon, and the Stamp Somass system. Others that I fished periodically included the Sooke, San Juan, Harris, Nitnat, Kokisilah, Ash, Heber, Quinsum, Oyster, Puntledge, Campbell, Adam, Eve, Nimpkish, Cluxuwe, Kokish, Marble, Toquart, French and Haslam creeks. On the mainland I have fished the Thompson, Seymour, Squamish, Chekamas, Veddar, Bulkley, Morice, Susquaw, Copper, Kispiox, Kalum, Lakelse, Fraser, Skeen
Kitimat, and Gitnadoix rivers. Vancouver Island used to be a steelhead mecca with opportunities throughout. I am now reduced to fish for Steelhead from December to March on 3 Van Isle rivers, predominantly the Cowichan with on occasional trip to the Stamp and Nimpkish and recently the Nanaimo.
As you can see I have been around, chasing steelhead in over 46 watersheds in British Columbia. I guided steelhead on the island for 3 years (in the mid 1980's), was involved in the broodstock capture program on the Nanaimo River as a volunteer and was subsequently hired by the Ministry of Environment to capture brood stock throughout Vancouver Island (mid to late 1980's) and continue to be an avid recreational angler as time and opportunity permit. I have witnessed first hand the degradation of habitat, questionable expansion of fish farms, results from decreased ocean survival, decline in recreational angler participation and the intensifying of guide pressure on the few remaining viable populations of steelhead. I would like to think that I have a broad base of knowledge and considerable experience to draw upon when commenting on the proposed regulation changes.
The rationale accompanying the proposals is solid and is a very good summary and with this in mind I FULLY ENDORSE ALL OF THE PROPOSALS as presented with only two suggestions for modifications.
-the proposed fly only area above Skutz falls be open to all gear types RATIONALE
-to help spread pressure on the river
-provide opportunity above the clay banks in high water
-it is not very good fly water even in low flow situations
-the stamp proposal go through as presented or ideally extended downriver to the rifle range
-eliminate or reduce "assistant guide privileges" RATIONALE
-almost no access to shore angling below the rifle range
-increase quality of angling experience for shore anglers
-increase number of anglers on stamp river
-guides can still fish after they get out of the boat
-guide etiquette poor when not confronted face to face on the bank
-guides very aggressive in fishing water occupied by shore anglers
-mid river boon dogging very aggravating to listen to all day
-guides already have huge equipment advantage in the rest of the river
-guides have access to vast amounts of water inaccessible to shore anglers
-phony assistant guides are the predominant users of this portion of the river "test fishing" with their buddies
-guides take disproportionate amount of fish already
Murphy bragging about catching 1500 fish one season
-guides race to occupy water other anglers are heading to
-guides never accessed the upper portion until recently
-guide pressure above falls increases pressure on wild fish
-guides already had closure reduced by one month above the ash
-guides pound summer runs holding at hatchery area
-guides catch and release many fish making them harder to catch
-public hatchery paid for by all and used by select few
-guides responsible for boat access closed atp22 ——[place
Thank you for looking at the current regulations for areas that can be revised to allow for more access to our rivers. I look forward to the outcome of these proposals and am looking forward to next steelhead season.
Sincerely ^

Dolighan. Randy ENV:EX
Sent: Tue, July 25, 2006 3:22 PM
To: Fishreg Review ENV:EX
Subject: Steelhead Sport Fishing Regulation Proposals
My comments re regulation proposals: Total bait ban on Vancouver Island. PERIOD.
Cowichan System 1 thru 5 - Agree
Englishman R. - Great proposal
Gold R. Introduce boat ban. Limited pressure does not warrant closure above Heber R. Consider total closure after April 1 to July
Haslam Ck. - Agree Little Qualicum R. - Agree Nanaimo R. - Agree
Oyster R. - Agree Puntledge R. - Agree Quatse R. - Agree Quinsam R. - Agree
Stamp R.
The Stamp/Somass System is a disaster!! The Stamp R. offers the worst Steelhead fishing experience in B.C. BAN MOTORS AND BAIT!! Curtail the" Murphy Monopoly".
If federal legislation restricts boat bans than safety issues should be introduced. Irregardless motorized boats should be restricted to below the gun club. Bait should be
banned throughout the system. If there is a surplus of fish transport them back downstream as the hatchery does in the Vedder/Chilliwack R. system. Bait is not the solution.
The stretch of water between the gun club and bucket(Gir) Guide Falls) offers an accessible unrestricted fly fishing opportunity.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond to the regulation proposals. Regards,
| Director BCFDF (Island Chapter) Castaways Fly Fishing Club Coast Steelheaders

Hooton, Bob ENV:EX

From: Hooton, Bob ENV:EX on behalf of Fishreg Review ENV:EX Sent: Thu, May 1 8, 2006 8:54 AM
__
To:
Subject: RE: Vane Island Proposed Regulation changes. My thoughts,^"
Sent: Wed, May 17, 2006 10:01 PM To: Fishreg Review ENV:EX
Subject: r-w: vane isiana proposed Regulation changes. My thoughts
My thoughts are centered on the 3 major rivers.
GOLD RIVER - great proposal. Give the fish a safe haven Dec-May.
STAMP RIVER - anything to do with less/no motors on the river is welcome. The bait proposal seems to give the feeling that too much hatchery influence is present and may be affecting wild steelhead. I am assuming the wild fish transit through the Girl Guide- Stamp falls Park area quickly. Your guidance is trusted here. BAIT must only be used to target hatchery fish, or progeny of hatchery steelhead. PLEASE EXTEND ENGINE BAN INTO THE MONEY POOL and ASH CONFLUENCE AREAS. There is no reason for a boat to go upriver. However considerate a jetboat driver may be does not compensate for the noise and disturbance a jetboat makes. This activity directly leads to less enjoyable fishing , and less people on the river.
COWICHAN RIVER.
I applaude the extension of the flyfishing zone to Skutz falls and Greendale trestle, and a closed season on the river
above 70.2 mile trestle from Dec-April. This will protect the steelhead and trout populations. The bait ban all year is a tremendous step for conservation of fish in the Cowichan River. I assume this extends up to the weir in Lake Cowichan.
The proposal obviously has had a lot of thought put towards the protection of steelhead. Thanks to the Ministry Staff for placing fish ahead of political forces that may exist.
Please acknowledge receipt of my comments by email. Sincerely,

Doliqhan, Randy ENV:EX

Sent: Sat, May 6, 2UU6 b: l b AM
Subject: Steelhead proposed regulations

Dear Sir/Sir
I am writing in response to your call for input on proposed regulation changes for streams in Region 1. In particular I would like to address your proposals for the Gold River. If I am reading your intent correctly then I believe that the proposals for the management of the Gold are twofold, one is to reduce the number of Steelhead hooked repeatedly (often by the guiding community) and to protect Steelhead during thier spawning time. I am both appreciative and respectful of these intents and agree that both issues should be tackled. However, I believe that there may be less restrictive measures than total closures to effect the same results and keep angling oppourtunites open for anglers both guided and local .
I have watched over the last ten years as the guiding community has taken to the tactic of keeping thier sports in boats while angling. This practice has served guides in keeping thier clients from getting wet more often but in addition it has certainly increased thier number of hook ups with Steelhead in two ways. Firstly, this practice has allowed guides to cover more ground and ground not covered by shore anglers; and secondly it has opened the door to backtrolling with plugs which is a very effective method. So my recommendat 49" is to flatly ban ancflir^y ^nTn h"fltg- This has been a very ettective measure on the Thompson
River and would also be highly effective in reducing the number of fish hooked by guided parties on the Gold. There is no doubt that such a measure would profoundly reduce the number of fish hooked by guide boats.
As for protection of fish in spawning areas I would rather see The Ministry adopt gear restriction methods of management rather than total closure as this would greatly effect the guide community which is largley a gear based fishery but it would retain angling oppourtunity for the local angling community. BC residents should never have to suffer for a guide industry than is at times out of control and over bearing, and it has been long proven that once rivers have closures in effect it is a very long time indeed before those closures are

Dear sirs,
I fish the Stamp River from shore for steelhead frequently every winter and I used to fish the Englishman River quite often as wftii All I can sav as to your proposed regulations concerning these two rivers is - THANK YOU.
22 ~~~

August 9, 2006
Fisheries Regulation Review Vancouver Island Region Ministry of Environment 2080-A Labieux Road Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 6J9
To Whom It May Concern,
I am writing this letter in support of the majority of the proposed regulation changes for Steelhead Sport Fishing in the Vancouver Island Region.
Most of the facts that are given in the report by the Ministry I believe to be true and the intention to maintain a steelhead fishery with minimal impact on the steelhead justified. The proposed regulation changes would be beneficial to all. I fly fish for winter steelhead on the the Cowichan River, on a regular basis, and have personally seen a steady increase in angling pressure. In particular, the amount of guiding has visibly increased and put negative pressure on steelhead stocks. I fully support the Ministry's attempts to protect spawning steelhead in the upper reaches of the river by closing the river December 1st through April 15th. The extension of fly fishing only, from the 70.2 trestle downstream to Skutz Falls all year, would be a positive move as fly fishing only is the best conservation tool to reduce the mortality rate effect that gear fishing has on steelhead.
I fish the Stamp River for both winter and summer run steelhead. I agree with the fact that angling from a boat, either jet or drift, is a major concern on this river and fully support the Ministry's attempt to reduce the amount of pressure on the river with the proposed restrictions. I do not support the Ministry's proposal to allow the extension of the use of bait on this river or any river. However, I did support the Ministry's attempt to impose a bait ban provincially wide on all rivers in British Columbia and I believe that this issue needs to be re-visited.
I would like to propose that the Ministry spend more time and effort meeting with the various user groups to explain the rational behind these proposals and gather more information from the experience of the people that fish these rivers. I believe that there are many misconceptions surrounding these issues and that many people are being misled on what the true purpose of these proposed regulation changes are intended for. With the increasing decline in steelhead stocks on Vancouver Island and most other rivers in B.C. more effort needs to be placed on reducing the mortality rate that angling has and a stronger focus on public awareness is imperative.

P.O Box 2442 STNMain, 349 Georgia Street West, Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6B 3W7
WEBSITE www.bcjff.ca
Fisheries Regulations Review Vancouver Island Region Ministry of Environment 2080-A Labieux Road Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 6J9
To Whom It May Concern:
The British Columbia Federation of Fly Fishers appreciates the opportunity to respond to the Angling Regulation Proposal 2007 Vancouver Island Region. Our response is listed below within a spread sheet. BCFFF is in agreement with the majority of the proposed regulation changes, with the exception of the proposed closure on the Cowichan, the proposed closure on the Gold, and the removal of the bait ban on the Stamp. The most contentious issue in the package of proposed changes is the closure on the Cowichan from Dec. 1 to Apr. 15. Our membership was extremely divided over this issue. During the discussion period many clubs and individuals focused exclusively on the Cowichan closure. Regarding the proposed closure on the Gold, we feel that angling methods designed to reduce catch efficiency should be
to have material that showed the pros and cons, as appropriate, for each proposal. If the reasoning for a proposal is made on a best assumption; we need to know that as well. We recognize that it isn't always possible to do the science needed, but the well-being of a fishery may be at stake, so it is better to err on the side of action than inaction.
We take commenting on proposals very seriously, since proposals can have a far reaching and
dramatic effect on fisheries. We welcome the opportunity to participate in the decision making
process, particularly when we have the appropriate information.
Note: "N" = BCFFF does not support the proposal; WY" = BCFFF does support the
proposal
Proposals
Upper Cow.
Cow. Fly Fishing
Cow. Fly
Cow. Bait
Cow. Catch &
GoldR. Angling
Stamp R. No angling
Stamp R. Remove
Htslam Creek
9 Rivers
(open

R.
Only
Fishing
b»n-
release
closure
from boats
bait ban
(closure)
lower)

angling
from
Only
whole
for all
upstream
(Stamp
(Stamp

closure
Greendale
(70.2 to
river;
wild
from
Falls Park
Falls Park

(weir to
trestle
Skutz
all
trout/char
HeberR.
downstream
downstream

70.2)
nearLk.
falls)
year
for all
confluence
to "Girl
to "Girl

Decl
Cowichan

reaches
(Decl to
Guide
Guide

to April
down to

of the
May 31)
Falls" -all
Falls" -all

river that
)
year)
year)

(April 16

are open

to Nov 30

to

inclusive).

angling

BCFFF Position
N
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
Y
N
N
Y

on each

proposal.

BCFFF
Vice President and Fisheries Chair

Sent: Sat, June 1 /, ^uue iu:^t> AM
Subject: sport fishing regulations proposals
Minister of Environment
Chemainus River No comment
Cluxewe
Cowichan 1. O.K.
5. Excellent idea
Gold River Do not agree with permanent closure from Heber River confluence Dec1. to May 31 .Keep closure above Muchalet confluence. Possible closure of river from Apr. 1 to May 31. with fly fishing only from Heber confluence upwards to Muchalet confluence.
Haslam River O.K. Little Q. Nanaimo River
Puntledge River No comment Quatse River O.K. Quinsam River O.K.
Stamp River All power boats should be eliminated from entire river. Bait ban all rivers !!
Try influence more anglers that steelhead are a fish comparable to Atlantic salmon and should be treated as a trophy to be caught and released to fight again and hopefully spawn again.
Yours for saving steelhead

Re: Steelhead Regulations Proposals - Vancouver Island. April 1/Q6
The Mid-Island Castaways Fly Fishing Club is a non-profit society formed in 1996 by a group of
anglers in the Parksville/Qualicum area. The Club has become the largest membership Fly
Fishing Club in British Columbia, numbering approximately 100 members. We would submit the
following proposals for Vancouver Island steeiheaci tivers.
1) Complete Bait Ban on ALL RIVERS, no Exceptions
2) No Power Boats on"""" /?,} Rarbless Hooks
4) An increase in fees for Non-Residents of B.C. Referring to your Proposals:
Chemainus River - Cluxewe River - Cowichan River - No Comment -Englishman River - Fly Fishing Only CioSjfifS-before May 31s1 -
Gold River -We feel your proposals are far too severe. We have never seen a boat fishing be tween the Gold/ Muchalat confluence and Tashis Bridge. We see no reason to close the Gold Rivnr upstream from the Hober Rivsr confluence from December 1st to May 31st for the following reasons:
a) The area is not fished heavily and takes some pressure of the lower river.
b) We see no indications that there is a great spawning area, certainly no more than the area between the Lims Campground one! Heix* wn'l'.ioow
c) Close the area above Gold/Muchalat confluence
d) Close all the river April 1st to May 31S|
HasiflRi rrpf»k - Nr. r.rsrnrnent !..Q. River - l.esve present regulations in effect
Oyster River - Closure April 1st Puntledge River - No Comment Quatse River - No Comment
Quinsan River - Closure April 1st Salmon River - Open Kay Creek to Big Tref. Stamp River/
Somass - Bait ban on entire river
- Complete ban on Powei Buaia. We feel iiiai your rccuiiimuiiduiivi; w Transport Canada wouW
receive their approval of the ban.
Tsitake River - Fly-fishing only on entire river - closure Dec 1st
Aririitinngl Rivers:
Caycuse River - Fly-fishing only; closure Dec 1st Gordon River - Fly-fishing only; Closure Dec 1st
Heber River - closure Dec 1S|
Nahmint River -"" Closure for entire river. This might eliminate rumored infractions on Upper
River during winter.
Tsitaka River - Fly Fishing only; Closure Dec 1s
We would be pleased to hear from you.
Thanking you,
Ken Fyfe President
Mid Island Castaways Fly Fishing Club
Parksvilie, B.C. keD@fyfedrilling.com
Sincerely Yours

Does anybody think that these people helped in the forming of those proposals last summer?

Fishmyster

OldBlackDog - I have thanked you in the past for your efforts in person and I still, in all the years that I have known you, both in industry and after you had retired...Not totally always seeing eye to eye, but in fact, lately, you are bang on in everything that I have been party to, and that you have been involved - Thank you. many of us are intersted in creating a fishery that is equal to one and all with conservational aspects covered first - thank you for your continued efforts - my hope is to help in the development of a better fishery here in BC for all anglers. Our industry depends upon a devoted, reliable group of individuals that is committed to developing a core group that is non-biased toward any portion of our fishery - it is time to develop a fishery for everyone to enjoy...something that we all can be part of, a public hand in creating the opportunity, survival and renewal of our local fisheries...one and all, or not at all! Something that every angler can be proud of being involved in.

Dave H - Let's not get personal here...forget the past. Everything that we are fighting for is within the grasp of our future...my view and fight will not deviate from it's present coarse. I am not aguide and I do not own a sled...I do how ever own a 10' pontoon and a 12 ft. aluminum. I like to float on logs and fallen trees, and have been known to swim from one spot to the next to have the opportunity to kill fish. [A term, meaning slay, catch lot's, small stream, etc.]

Build a better fishery through total angler cooperation...

My five F-_c_ing Cents worth...yep, I am a very passionate, fat angler who has a demonsterous brain that only thinks fish 24/7 - it's time for everyone to challenge our rule makers to develop better fisheries!

Build a fishery that benifits one and all, or not at all...the choice is ours! We can make the changes...challenge me! We Will Succeed!

I think kenny's last post showing all these b.s. testimonials from the die hard fly community and such shows just how selfish we(including myself)can be at times.At the start of one post the Mid-island fly guys club brag how there the biggest fly club around and then have a long list of demands that are clearly geared toward fly-fishing and fly fisher people!In my years at the stamp i havent seen very many of these guys around anywhere???Why should they decide who can fish where and out of a boat or not!I guarentee if Ken or another valley guide offered a free day trip out of a jet too any of these guys they would be all over it!The point is here lets not let one group take over!In my opinion someone should come up with a "Gear only proposal no fly at all and watch those guys cry!How bout no fly fishing at nitnat in sept!A true fly liners paradise! I can hear the crying now!Oh ya looks like Courtneys buried himself on this one!Bout time!

Don't you find it sad that once again we are having a contest about who gets the fish and how?
The letters shown once again show the agenda from the BCFFF.
So, some info.
First, the Steelhead are raised for the SSS in a Federal Facility.
A few years ago this facility stated they did not have the money to keep raising these fish.
It is my understanding that D.Murphy when he heard this went to the hatchery and paid the money to keep the program going and further stated that if there were to be a problem in the future they were to call him and he would ante up.

( I want you to know that someone in MOE has a hate on for Mr. Murphy and his ability's to run a boat on this river.This is well known and this person will not let it go.)
I note that there are some that feel that he catches to many fish?
What is this about?
No one has declared a conservation problem on this river.

One needs to ask the question of MOE to what extent do they take for example the letter from a Fly club that says it has 100 members?

I belong to a club that has 2500 members, so does that cancel out the fly ones?
I belong to another group that has over 1000 members, same question.

Does the BCWF with 30,000 members cancel out all of this?
They have more people/votes than all the other groups?

There is a prejudice within MOE and it is very obvious.

One needs the answers on this from MOE to see where they balance the groups vs the independent votes.

As I stated before, one group is once again trying to get all the other groups off the rivers.

( As an aside, it is interesting to see that in the North a group of GUIDES wanted to ban back trolling with bait as they felt it was to effective and the Americans were to productive.
Note there was NO conservation concern and the studies showed that the fish were not being killed due to bait).

Dog in the manger??

Don't you find it sad that once again we are having a contest about who gets the fish and how?
The letters shown once again show the agenda from the BCFFF.
So, some info.
First, the Steelhead are raised for the SSS in a Federal Facility.
A few years ago this facility stated they did not have the money to keep raising these fish.
It is my understanding that D.Murphy when he heard this went to the hatchery and paid the money to keep the program going and further stated that if there were to be a problem in the future they were to call him and he would ante up.

( I want you to know that someone in MOE has a hate on for Mr. Murphy and his ability's to run a boat on this river.This is well known and this person will not let it go.)
I note that there are some that feel that he catches to many fish?
What is this about?
No one has declared a conservation problem on this river.

One needs to ask the question of MOE to what extent do they take for example the letter from a Fly club that says it has 100 members?

I belong to a club that has 2500 members, so does that cancel out the fly ones?
I belong to another group that has over 1000 members, same question.

Does the BCWF with 30,000 members cancel out all of this?
They have more people/votes than all the other groups?

There is a prejudice within MOE and it is very obvious.

One needs the answers on this from MOE to see where they balance the groups vs the independent votes.

As I stated before, one group is once again trying to get all the other groups off the rivers.

( As an aside, it is interesting to see that in the North a group of GUIDES wanted to ban back trolling with bait as they felt it was to effective and the Americans were to productive.
Note there was NO conservation concern and the studies showed that the fish were not being killed due to bait).

Dog in the manger??

"Ya Ya Hadden you've won this issue on the gold......now let it rest!!!"

Sure, soon as I finish this.

All I'm trying to do here is ensure that errant statements about some perceived hatred for guides by a local angler group shouldn't go by without the truth being told.
I was the Secretary-Treasurer of the SSBC Branch in CR back then so was intimately involved with the fight to get bait and powerboats off the Gold. I wrote a lot of the letters including the one that was entered into the record of the Village Council in Gold River that pretty much negated completely the presentation Ken had made.

Now, because several guys I know tell me that Ken is a pretty good guy all in all, I feel no great compulsion to reveal what Ken did that I used against him, as I mean no ill will towards him or anyone else on this board, regardless of your feelings about what happened on the Gold back then.
By the way, my feathers weren't ruffled at all, even though I just recalled that it was 40 years ago this month I caught my first Gold River steelhead, it's simply a matter of keeping things truthful.

Nothing personal at all RVP, but the truth is the truth.
And are you as incoherent in real life as you come across as being on here?
Seriously.

I must also note it's difficult to see the number of you who claim there is "no conservation problem" on the SSS system when reports I hear regularly indicate that about 70% of the steelhead in the system are hatchery production.

Seven out of ten are wind-ups but there's no problem.

Frigging hilarious.

Take care.

"Ya Ya Hadden you've won this issue on the gold......now let it rest!!!"

Sure, soon as I finish this.

All I'm trying to do here is ensure that errant statements about some perceived hatred for guides by a local angler group shouldn't go by without the truth being told.
I was the Secretary-Treasurer of the SSBC Branch in CR back then so was intimately involved with the fight to get bait and powerboats off the Gold. I wrote a lot of the letters including the one that was entered into the record of the Village Council in Gold River that pretty much negated completely the presentation Ken had made.

Now, because several guys I know tell me that Ken is a pretty good guy all in all, I feel no great compulsion to reveal what Ken did that I used against him, as I mean no ill will towards him or anyone else on this board, regardless of your feelings about what happened on the Gold back then.
By the way, my feathers weren't ruffled at all, even though I just recalled that it was 40 years ago this month I caught my first Gold River steelhead, it's simply a matter of keeping things truthful.

Nothing personal at all RVP, but the truth is the truth.
And are you as incoherent in real life as you come across as being on here?
Seriously.

I must also note it's difficult to see the number of you who claim there is "no conservation problem" on the SSS system when reports I hear regularly indicate that about 70% of the steelhead in the system are hatchery production.

Seven out of ten are wind-ups but there's no problem.

Frigging hilarious.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back