JB Marine Weld for corrosion repair on cast iron.

Newf

Crew Member
I have to do a small repair on the face of a cast iron heat exchanger. A small area is corroded where a flange bolts on and will leak around an o-ring if I do not build it back up. Was thinking about using JB Marine Weld. Has anyone used this product before with success? Any feedback or other suggestions appreciated.

TKS.

always worth a try with jb, i had a toyota with a cracked block from overheating and then hitting a puddle caused the crack... cleaned out the area, jb the heck out of it and drove it for another 5 years.

Thanks Guys. It's a very pricey part to replace so it's worth a try to attempt this repair and hopefully get a water tight seal against the o-ring. As you noted Spring Fever and from the reading I've done on similar repairs, "the prep is key".

Years back the JB Weld Package had a testimony from a Kansas Farmer printed on the back: He swore it was the next best thing to binder twine! Like spring fever says, your success will be directly related to good clean prep work.

sounds like it would be a good application for your job. I've used it a few times and have had good results also... even used it on a cracked block one time years ago and it did the job for as long as I had the engine... . (over 5 years)

Back