Islander vs. Trophy vs. Rapala vs. Amundson

Matthias

Hi all,

I'm in the market for some new mooching reels. Currently outfitted with a couple Shimano Plus GT's, and although I'm convinced these reels are the best bang for your buck (I've had no problem with them), I still want to invest a little into something more luxurious.

I've been doing some digging, but of course, can't find a consistent trend of opinions that has pushed me in one direction. My current understanding:

1. Islander MR (2 or 3)
Pros: Smooth action, creep is generally not an issue, warranty, sexy aesthetics
Cons: Highest price, maintenance can be an issue

2. Amundson (Trend or Lieutenant)
Pros: Medium Price, Creep no issue, hardware issues minimal, good warranty
Cons: not as sexy as an islander
Unknown: Reel handling/smoothness

3. Trophy XL Tyee QR
Pros: Good price, very smooth, creep no issue, looks like an islander
Cons: maintenance issues
Unknown: Warranty

4. Rapala (Shift/Classic) - I know nothing about this reel.

If you have any experience with comparing these reels, or just have a strong opinion, please share!

Thanks

Albeit I have limited experience with islanders and trophys, but I wouldnt describe them as having no issues with line creep. The Trophys Ive used have had really finicky drag knobs; sure theres no creep when u winch the drag down but theres also no give if a fish wants to take a run either.

I think the Amundson TMX-5's have really changed things as far as drag systems go. The reel itself might not feel as smooth as an islander, but the carbon-fiber drag puts an Islanders to shame. Every Islander Ive used has had more issues with line creep than a $60 daiwa. How they can fail so hard with such a crucial component of a reel and still call it "the best salmon mooching reel" (quoted from their sales website) is beyond me.

Give a TMX-5 a try. For 2/3 the price of an islander (or less), its the best bang for your buck as far as the machined reels go.

Hi all,

2. Amundson (Trend or Lieutenant)
Pros: Medium Price, Creep no issue, hardware issues minimal, good warranty
Cons: not as sexy as an islander
Unknown: Reel handling/smoothness

If you have any experience with comparing these reels, or just have a strong opinion, please share!

Thanks

I currently use these, the Lieutenant MSR 05 (rod and reel combo), was able to get 3 of them at Cabela's for $130 each! I have nothing but positives to say about both the reel and the rod. Even if I had deep pockets, don't know that I would switch to something else I've been that happy.

I've used Islanders and Trophy, I don't know they are worth a cost factor of 3-4 X. I also used to have both Shimano Moochers and Daiwa M-One's, prefer the Amundson's easily. Shimano an Daiawa are hefty and can take a beating, I don't like the drag and hate the plastic sounding clickity-clack reeling in! I believe the Daiwa's were better than the Shimano's IMHO and cost less.

I could care less about sexy or not compared to Islander, the price isn't worth it for me. I also don't mind the flat black at all.

Reel handling and smoothness, I have no issues or complaints. The drag is nice, you need more rotations for adjustment compared to Trophy or Islanders (whole turn vs maybe 1/4) but I don't mind that, less chance of locking up. Conversely, the drag is more sensitive compared to the Shimano and Daiwa where it was 3-4 complete rotations of the drag.

I know some people had issues with the older rod blanks breaking, but that's not at issue here. I had a spring that went in one reel, it's also a common fault, simple enough fix.

Just my two cents worth, take it or leave it!

Here is a link to a recent post of my reels.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...what-lb-test-are-you-using.65709/#post-822441

Last edited:
Albeit I have limited experience with islanders and trophys, but I wouldnt describe them as having no issues with line creep. The Trophys Ive used have had really finicky drag knobs; sure theres no creep when u winch the drag down but theres also no give if a fish wants to take a run either.

I think the Amundson TMX-5's have really changed things as far as drag systems go. The reel itself might not feel as smooth as an islander, but the carbon-fiber drag puts an Islanders to shame. Every Islander Ive used has had more issues with line creep than a $60 daiwa. How they can fail so hard with such a crucial component of a reel and still call it "the best salmon mooching reel" (quoted from their sales website) is beyond me.

Give a TMX-5 a try. For 2/3 the price of an islander (or less), its the best bang for your buck as far as the machined reels go.
I am absolutely with advTHXance...although I don't own an Islander or Trophy, I have fished with both and own a Amundson TMX-5. You don't have to remember to let the drag off at the end of the day for fear or destroying the cork on an Islander. I actually do find the drag very smooth when a fish is screaming out line (well actually there is a tiny bit of a break in period). And as for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think that the TMX's are gorgeous reels. I am hoping to buy the Black w/ Gold scale pattern this season. I'm big on price/performance ratio's when buying gear and I don't think that you can go wrong with these...

Attachments

• Amundson TMX5.jpg
    Amundson TMX5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 147
Awesome points everyone. Thanks for contributing. Was leaning towards Amundson's before, now even more so.

Every Islander Ive used has had more issues with line creep than a $60 daiwa. How they can fail so hard with such a crucial component of a reel and still call it "the best salmon mooching reel" (quoted from their sales website) is beyond me.

That's exactly it: MOOCHING Reel. It wasn't designed for downrigger fishing, even though that's what it's mainly used for. They've got the new(and more expensive) TR3 for that

I am absolutely with advTHXance...although I don't own an Islander or Trophy, I have fished with both and own a Amundson TMX-5. You don't have to remember to let the drag off at the end of the day for fear or destroying the cork on an Islander. I actually do find the drag very smooth when a fish is screaming out line (well actually there is a tiny bit of a break in period). And as for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think that the TMX's are gorgeous reels. I am hoping to buy the Black w/ Gold scale pattern this season. I'm big on price/performance ratio's when buying gear and I don't think that you can go wrong with these...

I don't know if Admundson marketing people read this site. If they do - For God's sake, make a plain TMX 5 reel without and fancy fish scales or Game of Thrones 'fish slayer' graphics.

That's exactly it: MOOCHING Reel. It wasn't designed for downrigger fishing, even though that's what it's mainly used for. They've got the new(and more expensive) TR3 for that

So? The same then applies to the rest of the lot, the Amundson's, Trophy Tyee, Rapala's , Okuma's, Daiwa M-One, Shimano Moocher, etc.

Most true 'trolling' reels are level wind.

Same applies to 'mooching' rods. Downrigger rods are generally way too stiff/heavy.

Amundsom.....one died within a month, cabelas replaced it, now sits in cuddy as a spare.
Amundsom.....brother in law used his first outing, broke. Cabelas replaced it if a rapala, works great.
Diawa....you get what you pay for.
Trophy Tyee XL....got two on sale, used 2 years, not a problem. Love the extra large handles with my arthritic hands.

I don't know if Admundson marketing people read this site. If they do - For God's sake, make a plain TMX 5 reel without and fancy fish scales or Game of Thrones 'fish slayer' graphics.
I'm pretty sure that this year they are coming out with a solid black and a gunsmoke version...haven't seen them yet though.

Islander is making 100 TR3 Reels (trolling) that will be available this spring. They mention a ceramic bearing, but no word on drag (cork or other). It's be an absolute shocker if they didn't nail the creep issue. I expect you'll see some used MR3s coming up for sale the second the TR3 is available.

Have 2 TMX 5 Theron reels that were test reels used one summer that I purchased from a forum member here. I have put 2 years on them now fishing on hot summer days and below freezing winters. Best reels I have ever owned so far. Had one handle cap pop off and get lost that's been it and Amundson sent me replacements. As far as changing anything on them ? Yeah, maybe .....I find the cylindrical alloy handles a bit harder for me to grip in the cold and rain in winter sometimes fingers slip off. The Shimano rubber paddle handle offers much better grip IMO .....not sure if they can be fit to the TMX 5 ........but not sure I'd want to do anyway as it would change that cool all alloy look of the Theron.

Trophy Tyees are crap. Not worth the money.

Rapalas....who knows....who sells them and what about parts and service?

Theron and other reels.....I wonder how they do fished 100 full days a year? Then what happens?

Amundson....pass.....

Islanders? The devil you know.....yadda yadda yadda...

Abels....well....they are creeping now too...I was talking with someone who has 4 and 2 are creepers.

I have 4 Trophys and had a handle post break off in November on the reel that I most recently purchased (reel in it its first season of use). A defect vs operator (ab)use issue and four months later I still don't have the reel back and apparently I will also be charged for the repair when I do get it back (a distributer vs retailer issue). I remain a fan of the reels and will happily continue to use the ones that I own but personally wouldn't buy one again given the warranty/customer service experience I have had. As I was short a reel, this past Boxing Day, I bought two TMX5's as a late Christmas gift to myself (didn't want an orphan TMX5 so I bought two) to try something different and I have been very happy with them during the first few months of use (the drag is awesome).

Last edited:
These are the new 2017 TMX-5's. I love the look of the 2nd from the left (Gunsmoke). They completely got rid of the scale pattern. I think Amundson has nailed it this year.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 279
Who doesn't love a little bit of creep.

Islanders by far #1, a click or 2 of creep every so often means your drag is set perfect.

Back