Is SVIAC still kickin?

calmsea

I haven't heard a word in months!? Just wondering if it is worthwhile renewing membership or if I better donate the money to PSF or other groups. Kinda sad because I believed this project could finally go somewhere.

Yes SVIAC is still working on your behalf. The Sooke River Project is underway with the 250,000 Chinook eggs having been collected at Nitinat. Our net pen that has been paid for is waiting for pick up in Campbell River. The 250,000 Chinook smolts will be trucked down to Sooke sometime in May. Obviously we will have to have the pen in the water and set up by then.

Last edited:
Are you guys, or do you of any others, doing similar projects out on the Saanich Peninsula?

I doubt anything much can be done out that way as that would be to close to the Cowichan which is a wild indicator stream and the chance of fish straying into that system would prevent such a project.

SVIAC is also keep a close eye on the possible court case involving the 3 Fraser River First Nation Bands. They have filed to force DFO to close fishing for the summer months in areas 19 and 20 until they catch all their FSC. If the case does go to court we will seek intervenor status alone or with others. That cost is about $30,000 per year.

Thanks profisher. Glad you guys are still active behind the scenes. Would be good to hear this through some official channels and proper communication though.

Are you guys, or do you of any others, doing similar projects out on the Saanich Peninsula?

Sidney Anglers had a project years ago but now a lot of there money raised goes to Peninsula stream keepers to bring them back. Maybe someone else knows more info ?

Calmsea I believe our pres is working on a newsletter as we speak and should be ready for distribution in the coming days. As a board I think we agreed to quarterly reports with one of two of them being more in depth. We also have the annual AGM where we explain things in person and there is a chance for dialogue and questions. To date those annual meetings have been poorly attended considering we have 700 members entitled to attend. We are lucky to get a dozen people out over and above the board members.

The SVIAC December newsletter (9 pages packed with lots of interesting articles and info) was sent out to all current SVIAC members last week.

If you are a current member and did not receive the newsletter it is probably because we dont' have your current email address.

You can send an email to SVIAC info@anglerscoalition with your current email address and we will send you the latest newsletter.

Thanks and Seasons Greetings to one and all!

Back