Is my math off?

tubber

Not trying to offend anyone, just trying to do math.
The thread about buying boats in the US has me trying to understand the complicated math of the economic benefits to BC of sport-caught fish vs commercially-caught fish.
I have an old American boat with a Japanese outboard.
If I spend $1000 per year on tackle, about half of it originates in the US or offshore( most rods and reels, fly lines, power pro, coyotes etc...)
The vast majority of the rest of my spending would take place in BC whether I fished or not so it is a wash in terms of benefitting BC including buying a Canadian made boat.

To summarize, my sportfishing habit costs the economy of BC several hundred dollars per year, and if I drive stateside to bring a new boat back(which I may well do), it will cost our economy much more.

My point is, a BC resident angler has a negative to marginal impact on the economy of the province, unless he or she was to spend his or her fishing money outside of the province.

Therefore, when comparing the value of a pound of sport caught fish vs commercial as it benefits BC, only the money spent by non-residents in their own boats or on charters should be included in the equation.

Finally, I have no idea what percentage of charter guests are non-resident or what the dollar value of exported commercial fish is. I agree that sportfishers deserve more halibut And I did seasonal work on commercial boats many years ago.

If many profitable charter operators do the smart thing and expand or re-invest by buying cheap American boats, a good chunk of the benefit to the economy is lost.

For the new market, with the exception of some tin boats, I can't think of anything made in Canada currently that would be a good, beefy guide boat. Hourston maybe, but they are NOT giving them away, there are some good aluminium companies, but when you are looking at 150 grand for a new boat, versus 50 grand for the stateside special, the economics just don't justify it. There are not a lot of outboards made in Canada, there is Evinrude, but I think they are still made stateside, and just owned by Bombardier, so you are stuck buying overseas or cross border anyway for your power.

Once an item is used, I don't know how much it helps the economy anyway.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Commercial fishermen don't take advantage of deals across the border too? The big difference between the 2 fisheries in terms of revenue and impact are...when a sport fishing charter client forks out $3500.00 for 4 days fishing at Langara and hits a bad week and comes home skunked the lodge still makes $3500.00 and the government will get their share.... the impact on the fish is 0. A licenced commercial fishermen has to catch fish to earn a living and more is better.

Back