Is Everyone Noticing Something?

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
The sportfishing industry used to be aligned with a lot of the activist organizations like watershed watch etc. Has anyone noticed how the orca whale issue was betrayed by media with all these groups cheering it on.

It's like it was targeted together for 2 weeks and very coordinated. I find it strange how all the sudden these groups are all advocating for a stop to all chinook fishing. Also aligning themselves with the Fraser fn groups that are in court to get access to more fish. Anyway it seem strange to all the sudden there has been this change.

Anyone else found some of the writeups strange?

This is not new, SV. Not really a "change". Just instead that you have enough experience with a NGO to see past all the fluff. Some aren't too bad to pretty good (e.g. T. Buck Suzuki Foundation, Pacific Salmon Foundation, and the Atlantic Salmon Federation - are but 3 examples, IMHO) - well others I would place on the other end of that spectrum (IFAW, Sea Shepherd, etc.). Watershed Watch works closely with Pacific Wild, and Raincoast Conservation - esp. within the Pacific Marine Conservation Caucus: https://www.mccpacific.org/about/

Last edited:
Makes you jaded pretty quick.
Pacific Gillenetters Association worked with Greenpeace along with other commercial salmon groups to get the high seas drift net ban into UNCLOS.
We provided much of the money and GP got the limelight.
Had to say was bit surprised when shortly thereafter, we were fishing the Fraser and I see a couple of news choppers overhead.
Regular fishery does not usually attract the news outlets, so we scratch our chins a bit.
Next we see the GP inflatables roaring out of Steveston to protest us!
Nice little shiv in the kidneys.

These organizations will do what's best for them and their fundraising, not the salmon or the environment.

With some of the comments I see on here about conservation versus the right to fish, can you really say that we (as a group) are any better?

Back