Instant Pot for crab

mbowers

The Instant Pot is a great crab steamer IMHO. I can fit 4 cleaned Dungeness in the 6 qt model. High pressure for 6 mins and then take it outside to force vent and chill with cold water. Basically no smell in the house!

Sounds like it worked a lot better then what I tried with shellfish. I filled my instant pot with prawn heads to make stock, but it didn't seal properly because a couple antennas were under the gasket. Also didn't realize how much bait was in their guts. Came home from walking the dog an hour later, to the foulest stench filling the house. In a rage I dumped the works down the garborator and clogged the drain. It took hours to get it unclogged. My wife almost murdered me. Learned a few lessons the hard way that day.

Sounds like it worked a lot better then what I tried with shellfish. I filled my instant pot with prawn heads to make stock, but it didn't seal properly because a couple antennas were under the gasket. Also didn't realize how much bait was in their guts. Came home from walking the dog an hour later, to the foulest stench filling the house. In a rage I dumped the works down the garborator and clogged the drain. It took hours to get it unclogged. My wife almost murdered me. Learned a few lessons the hard way that day.
Thanks for a good laugh. :)

The instant pot is really good for stock too because the water isn't boiling so things aren't mixing around. The stomachs probably wouldn't have ruptured if done correctly. You were so right in choice of equipment just slightly wrong in execution.

Get wife and dog drunk and try it again? :)

Back