Installing radar deflector

Charter Tofino

Im in the fog sometimes fishing so i need to install a radar deflector on the boat but the layout doesnt make it easy. I know it has to be high above the water line. Any ideas on whats the best way to install with no radar arch or good surface to install?

a1.jpg

Wont let me edit but above is the picture. It has the normal runabout layout. The antenna seems to flimsy and especially when running and i dont know if the two interfere with eachother.

Kelly, I would use radar reflective tape? I have that around my entire boat and it lights it up like a Christmas tree! I have one strip around the entire bow and another around my hard top. You can get it in different colors, so you can make it appear as an ordinary stripe!

If you go with the standard reflector, read the article below! They do have mounting poles for them and you can attach pretty much anywhere, including your windshield? Higher is better, but just get it as high as you can. It really only needs to be about 2 feet above the water line to be effective, but the higher means you can be seen at a farther distance.

Our radars are X-Band. While they may not pick-up everything, all the ones I have had pick up plastic boats, just fine! Sometimes just a little closer than I like, depending on how fast they are going! If adjusted right, they will pick up a log floating in the water. And, I am not suggesting you not put something on your boat, as I centainly believe there is a valid need! The more you can put on, means a "bigger" blip on someone's screen...you will be noticed faster and that is a good thing!

This is a good article on radar reflectors: http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies/radar_reflector_test.htm#INDEX

Here is the tape I have on my boat: http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8391&idcategory=0

Again, the higher and more reflector, the larger and bigger the blip!

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Thanks for the link that tape looks like a better alternative. Ill check out the local shops to see if i can find a smaller roll.

Hi Charlie. Are you saying you have 3M radar reflective tape on your boat? You mean light reflective tape don't you?

I have never heard of a 3M adhesive tape that reflects radar signals. If so please let me know.

Long live wild salmon!!!

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

Hi Charlie. Are you saying you have 3M radar reflective tape on your boat? You mean light reflective tape don't you?

I have never heard of a 3M adhesive tape that reflects radar signals. If so please let me know.

Long live wild salmon!!!

I probably should said TAPE REFLECTIVE SOLAS, not radar reflective. All I know is the tape I have, which is: http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8391&idcategory=0 Lights my boat up like a Christmas tree, using our radar, which is the X-Band!

How do I know... my friends have radar! :D

quote:Radar waves scatter in a variety of ways depending on the size (wavelength) of the radio wave and the shape of the target. If the wavelength is much shorter than the target's size, the wave will bounce off in a way similar to the way light is reflected by a mirror. If the wavelength is much longer than the size of the target, the target is polarized (positive and negative charges are separated), like a dipole antenna. This is described by Rayleigh scattering, an effect that creates the Earth's blue sky and red sunsets. When the two length scales are comparable, there may be resonances. Early radars used very long wavelengths that were larger than the targets and received a vague signal, whereas some modern systems use shorter wavelengths (a few centimeters or shorter) that can image objects as small as a loaf of bread.

Short radio waves reflect from curves and corners, in a way similar to glint from a rounded piece of glass. The most reflective targets for short wavelengths have 90° angles between the reflective surfaces. A structure consisting of three flat surfaces meeting at a single corner, like the corner on a box, will always reflect waves entering its opening directly back at the source. These so-called corner reflectors are commonly used as radar reflectors to make otherwise difficult-to-detect objects easier to detect, and are often found on boats in order to improve their detection in a rescue situation and to reduce collisions.

More is good... more and higher, is better!
If you are offshore in the shipping lanes, be advised... they could be using S-Band, and just might not see you!

Davis makes an emergency fold down model SD151 that is reasonably priced. Their web page shows how to put a bolt through the center to make a mounting option. I am going to order one and mount it onto an extension boat hook and put it into a rod holder or rocket launcher.

Back