INBOARD or OUTBOARD Preference

Da Bay Bye

I currently have a 16 ft boat with a 50HP Yamaha. This is my first boat and I use it for fishing in the Strait of Georgia.

I would like to try and find some sort of preferred type of power for boats, if any.

I might want to get into a bit bigger boat next year and with no great amount of experience, so any input is valued.

I might as well be the first one to say it, it's like comparing a Ford to a Chev! Everybody will have their opinion as to which is better and why. This debate has raged on this forum many times before. Try a search and you should see lots of comments as to who likes what and why people think one is better than the other!

There is a reason most manufacturers building boats for those of us who fish are putting pods on them. Outboards give you more space which is a premium on almost all boats. I've had both and I'd argue outboards have a lot of advantages.

I just went from a single inboard to podded twin outboards and I can't say as I'd ever go back,
More deck space ( no doghouse to trip over)
Quieter trolling with mains
Safer offshore or in shore for that matter
Less maintenance per motor
Fuel economy remains almost the same for me with an extra 100 hp
I was doing approximately 3 mpg with my inboard now I'm at 2.5 which was a great sacrifice considering all the other positives.
I'm sure others will argue each of these Points but in any case I'm happy with the switch and would do it again in a heartbeat
Oh and I troll off 1 of the twins so no added expense of a kicker
Tim

From what I've read on these forums on this subject.......Outboards are in.......inboards are out.

I like inboard diesels and I get pretty decent economy. plus less risk of having something blow up in the engine compartment. can't get an outboard in diesel... (well you can but it's gonna cost ya...) does take up alot of valuable space but I still have plenty... and the diesels will last forever if you do the proper maintenance.

If you want to fish year round the outboard has the advantage.

I agree Gil, love the outboard, but what is the advantage fishing year round?

LOL
doh-1.jpg
[/URL]

If you drain the motor of water, you don't need to pump antifreeze into it. Air doesn't freeze.
I have an I/O, 3.0 merc, and I really like it. Simple to work on, no mechanic bills.

I've owned both as well.

With the I/O combinations figuring out maintenance is a bit easier than some of the newer OBs. Regular maintenance items like alternators, starters, distributors, cooling systems etc are typically easier to access (subject to the design of the boat's engine access). While an OB is smaller, the parts do tend to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle and in some cases require specialized tools for removal and replacement. Generally speaking, most newer I/O engines use small and large block GM engines and there tends to be a much larger (and cheaper) variety of parts available where the OBs tend to be proprietary and have a much higher price (for example, a solenoid relay on a Mercruiser is about $25 vs. $85 for a Yamaha (same exact part with a proprietary mounting bracket).

I tend to think of I/O motor/drive combinations as modular with OB's more generally fixed (not exactly true but sort of fits). A bit easier to replace/source any modules that need to be replaced on an I/O (upper or lower drive, pumps, cooling, exhaust, electrical and even the block typically bolt off and replace easier).

But...all that said the OB's are a nice sealed unit that don't get as much exposure to the environment. Pull the cover off a well cared for OB and they can look brand new where an I/O tends to get wet. I'd tend to say an OB requires fewer repairs over time than an I/O but when major items come up, the OB is more expensive.

Oh and I troll off 1 of the twins so no added expense of a kicker
Tim

You'd be surprised how little fuel a 9.9 HT 4 stroke Yami kicker uses as compared to one F150 when trolling. Depending on how many times out per year you'd be surprised how quickly the 3K kicker cost is recovered as compared to fuel expense. Also all those hrs on the kicker and not the mains!

Hi I have and outboard motor and is a black max 135 hp 2 sickle oil injected is very good on gas like very good I have it for four years and I only broke down ones and I go very far all my friends have inboards motors and they keep replacing parts. I don't do that with my motor all I have done replace two hoses
sorry for my typing I 'm new in canada but I really like how help full everybody is and close good luck.

Hi I have and outboard motor and is a black max 135 hp 2 sickle oil injected is very good on gas like very good I have it for four years and I only broke down ones and I go very far all my friends have inboards motors and they keep replacing parts. I don't do that with my motor all I have done replace two hoses
sorry for my typing I 'm new in canada but I really like how help full everybody is and close good luck.

Just take a look at the boats for sale, you can buy a 21 ft. boat with a inboard for whatever but the same boat with a outboard is approximately double what you pay for the inboard. - Supply and demand i say, and yes with the price of fuel the new four stroke outboards seem like the way to go as long as you do your due dilligence on the maintenance.

I've owned both as well.

Regular maintenance items like alternators, starters, distributors, cooling systems etc are typically easier to access (subject to the design of the boat's engine access).

None of those parts should be "regular maintenance items". Other then the flushing of the cooling system if necessary which I wouldn't really call maintenance.

I have never owned an inboard, but I have helped a friend work on his 220hp Volvo in a fourwins boat, and I have to say it was the worst engine I have ever worked on. He sold the boat after 2 years and thousands of dollars because it was such a headache and cost him so much money. It was a beautiful boat only used at a lake in the summer never in the salt etc... it was the factory motor and leg less then 10 years old at the time and around 500 hours on it when he finally got rid of it.

If you want to fish year round the outboard has the advantage.

hmmm i fish year round???? guess im doing something wrong?? as Im out ALOT!!!!!! and mines a 383 stroker inboard cheap on fuel and runs great easy to rebuild $3,500. new outboard 25 grand..... thats a lot of rebuilds.........dont see alot of 20 year old outboards still running, pushing big boats....
but will say if you are not mechanically inclined buy a new outboard or inboard run it till it dies then do it all over again , whatever you own you have to maintain ANY engine and im not just talking putting gas into it.
if you have an inboard/outboard replace parts before they die. ANY hint of a problem replace to band aid it and hope for the best
I have spare parts on hand just like any smart outboard guy should or would

Last edited by a moderator:
inboard/outboards might be cheaper to start but your bill will increase alot faster than a outboard especially if you don't do things yourself. as for longevity lots of good ten year old for strokes out there like mine and quite a few others i know of pushing 2500 hours(on 20 plus foot boats) with no MAJOR parts replaced. u-joints, bellows manifolds risers all parts that are expensive and will fail usually within a 3-5 year span not to mention the drive is full time under water which is a cause for more problems,the deck space you lose to your "dog house" (engine cover) sucks. power to weight ratio grossly favors even the heaviest outboards(honda).inboard/outboards had there day but its gone. serviceability of outboards is also way better access to alternators starters oil filters even spark plugs on alot of inboards is a nightmare. also outboard will hold there value longer. there's a reason so many boats are podded out and it isn't because sterndrives are better.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me outboards have a huge advantage. I can swap my 200 Yami (2 stroke) if it does gernade with my 0 hour rebuilt spare in half a day and be back on the water the same night breaking it in...then back making money the next day. I know...I've done it before. At $1000 a day...waiting for shop repairs costs more than just the hourly rate.

Back