Importing boat from US

nerka992003

I have a question and it maybe a stupid one ,but dealing with the government ................... If I have a boat delivered say from the eastern seaboard to Montana or Bellingham etc would I have to pay tax on the cost of that move? To me I think I should not ,but I just don't know . I'm all ears to if anyone has advice on importing and any reputable boat haulers.

Thanks!!

I have a question and it maybe a stupid one ,but dealing with the government ................... If I have a boat delivered say from the eastern seaboard to Montana or Bellingham etc would I have to pay tax on the cost of that move? To me I think I should not ,but I just don't know . I'm all ears to if anyone has advice on importing and any reputable boat haulers.

Thanks!!

No tax on transport unless the transporter brings it across the border. You will be paying the transporter and receiving the boat in the US, so
No taxes. When you bring the boat across make sure you have all your paperwork in order or you could be held up for a while. Very easy to import a vessel as long as you do your homework.

You will find a few threads on here about importing a boat. I have done it myself however the boat was from Wa state so it was easy to look at first.

Some deals look great on line from a distance. Make sure someone can look at it closely and run it before you buy it. That would be my biggest suggestion.

The importing as TC and others will say is pretty straight forward as long as all paperwork is in order.

Cap from dnrtransport.com is who I and a few others have used to bring them up to Blaine,
Great guy for the job

Another question . I searched but no answer...........if I have a boat delivered to say ..........Montanna would I somehow have to get a temporary type of insurance on the trailer to bring it into BC?

Short answer is yes

You get a binder of insurance from ICBC which you can buy in advance if you have all information on trailer including VIN. A valid USA licence plate on the trailer is also required, it can be a temporary one. I also insured the boat before importing and transporting it.

I've imported a few boats from the US. Every time I've had the transportation company meet me at the Burger King just across the border at Pacific Hwy Crossing. At that point, the haulers remove the plates from the trailer if the originating State even requires plates on trailers (Ma. does not, for example).
There is a large supermarket very close to the BK that has a WA licensing kiosk in it. Buy a temp license there to take the boat from BK up to the border (300M away). My understanding is the the ICBC Binder of Insurance only allows you to take your trailer from the border straight home. Even though the Binder lasts for a few days, you theoretically need to get temp insurance to take your trailer from your home to Canadian Tire for the inspection. The last time I did it, I think I got the RIV form almost immediately, and stopped at CT on the way home. They asked for temp insurance, and I gave them the WA docs.
All in all, it's a very simple process.

I've been involved in a number of boat imports from the US, all from boat dealers, new and used. A few tips of docs to have:

• 2 purchase agreements, 1 for the hull and motor and another for the trailer.
  • 2 copies of all docs, original and copy.
  • If it is new have the MSO (manufacture statement of origin) for the hull and trailer. And make sure the dealer has filled out their required information.
  • Letter of "no recall" from the trailer manufacture.
  • If the total hull weight is over #3000 lbs brakes are required.
  • If the total weight is over #6000 lbs you must have electric brake system, either electric over hydraulic or drum. A surge system is not allowed.
  • For a tandem axle both axles must have breaks. Many states in the US only require one of the axles have brakes and a lot of dealers order their trailers that way to lower the cost.
  • For a triple axle only the front 2 axles need brakes.
  • All trailers with brakes are required to have a break away system.
  • IMO you should error on the side of "too many docs", better to be safe than sorry. Visit your licensing or licensing office a few days before pick up to confirm you have all the docs they require.
  • Stop at the CA boarder office on your way down to double check you plan to have everything they would like to see when coming back.
  • And lastly don't wait until the day before pick up to ask the dealer for the above info.

I've heard of a few times when guys we're either sent back to get the missing info or have to leave the boat at the boarder to make sure everything meets compliance.

I used the information from the following site when I bought my boat in the US in 2011. In my case I had all the documentation and Canada Border Services and RIV did not even look at the boat or trailer, but only wanted my Credit Card. By the way the trailer inspection by Canadian Tire is a joke, they did not check the lights or noted that the trailer only had brakes on one axle. If I were in the market again for a boat I would certainly look in the US again. In 2011 our dollar was higher than the US dollar so it was a very attractive purchase.

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

If you have Nexus, importing a boat (by water) is as simple as phone them with your credit card and paying the tax. You don't have to see anybody in person.
I would find your own reputable surveyor (definitely don't ask the seller for a recommendation)
There are a lot of very cheap hurricane damaged boats that aren't worth the asking price

I've brought two boats through the boarder and it was a piece of cake. All I had was the bill of sale and title for the trailer. Both times I gave the full price I paid so no fudging the numbers and paid the gst. The boarder guards were helpful and informed me of what I had to do when I got home. I didn't eat the trailer inspected right away and got a nasty letter from RIV so I took it to can tire and sent off the paperwork. All the guy did from can tire was copy the vin from the trailer and send me on my way, didn't check the lights or tires.

I've brought two boats through the boarder and it was a piece of cake. All I had was the bill of sale and title for the trailer. Both times I gave the full price I paid so no fudging the numbers and paid the gst. The boarder guards were helpful and informed me of what I had to do when I got home. I didn't eat the trailer inspected right away and got a nasty letter from RIV so I took it to can tire and sent off the paperwork. All the guy did from can tire was copy the vin from the trailer and send me on my way, didn't check the lights or tires.

Looking to buy a used boat in WA. Anyone knows with this recent tariff wars, how much they are going to ding me at the border? Is this still PST on the hull and motor and 12% on the trailer?
Hull is made in Canada but the trailer and motor arent. Called Canada Customs and the guy on the phone was clueless.

Also make sure the trailer has a makers tag w/serial-Vin# on it.If it doesn't have one it's a pain to get one,you have to wait for MV to send a tag to Can.Tire to put it on the trailer,about a week.The paperwork with the Vin # wasn't good enough,the trailer had to have the tag to match.

Also make sure the trailer has a makers tag w/serial-Vin# on it.If it doesn't have one it's a pain to get one,you have to wait for MV to send a tag to Can.Tire to put it on the trailer,about a week.The paperwork with the Vin # wasn't good enough,the trailer had to have the tag to match.
Yeah. I’ve got a picture of the trailer plate with the VIN#. It’s just that I’m not sure how much they’re going to ding me at the border. This new tariff announcement is even confusing for the custom guys. Need to know if it’s worth even bringing the boat to BC.
Who said Trump was good for business?? :D

BTW, should I ask for the letter of no recall from EZLoader ahead of time?

I would think any tariff would only affect a new build boat,not used.If you have the Vin# of the trailer I don't see why you can't ask for the recall letter.

Thqnks, guys.
If you are buying from a private seller and you don’t want the risk of carriying cash with you, what would be the safest alternate method of payment?

Thqnks, guys.
If you are buying from a private seller and you don’t want the risk of carriying cash with you, what would be the safest alternate method of payment?

bank transfer through a broker IMO that way funds dont get released till boat does and paperwork etc.

Back