immature Chinook salmon

Most sport endeavors, hunting or fishing often have seasons, and the seasons are usually to protect the stocks in some form or another. Why should the chinook fishery which is endangered be any different. A couple of month break while the fish are developing and feeding aggressively makes sense, leave the little fish alone for a while so you are not shaking 10 or more off for every one keeper. Its not only the nearly dead ones that are the problem, but the ones that come up pumping blood, or had their mouth damaged, or have injuries you can not notice. These fish are going to swim away and die. The compiled data for sport fishing estimates about 12% "release" mortality (on the fish landed and released) , with about another 7% of "dropoff" mortality (fish that die due to predator removal or that are hooked, get off the line but are injured). So some of the fish you land are going to die, and some of the ones you don't land are also going to die. Between the ones landed but undersized and all the missed bites that can be a lot of fish in a day on these rearing grounds. For these juvenile fish the numbers could be higher. These are fish that have made it out of the river and estuary where most of the mortality has been shown to occur (from predation and disease) are large enough to feed aggressively, and have reasonable chances of surviving until they are ready to return to the river. Not fishing them during this time seems like a good idea.

OMG.:rolleyes:

Believe it or not, there are still some out there haven't gotten it yet; continuing on as we have in the past should not & will not happen. Until we all agree that we are going to have to change our fishing practices this uncivil disagreement will continue. We need to wisely choose our battles.

Here is a really simplified version of this issue:

Fish in the winter when most of the fish are small

Fish in the Summer when the fish are bigger

Today we can choose both.

Soon, somebody will decide for us which of the options (if any at all) we get. Get it?

Cautiously, without wanting to pick any side or argument - I would say the issues are whether or not the fisherman practices catch & release - or not.

If not - then the question is about harvest numbers and TACs and overall take, coast-wide (and potentially a weak-stock ID).

If so - the issue is one of mortality, handling and gear.

Obviously the fish that have made it past all the mortality and capture fisheries to return to spawn are key in protecting population numbers and growth.

Believe it or not, there are still some out there haven't gotten it yet; continuing on as we have in the past should not & will not happen. Until we all agree that we are going to have to change our fishing practices this uncivil disagreement will continue. We need to wisely choose our battles.

Soon, somebody will decide for us which of the options (if any at all) we get. Get it?

And yet another one from outside our area talking about shutting winter fishing down. With no science , no data, and not involved in the process. This is about the worst thread I have seen on this forum for a while. You guys from other areas are beating up anglers in area with small impact. Creating an issue that really doesn't exist, and making a pile of noise. I think it is shameful if you ask me. We all have way more important things to get through in all of our areas right now. Give your heads a shake.

Last edited:
And yet another one from outside our area talking about shutting winter fishing down. With no science , no data, and not involved in the process. This is about the worst thread I have seen on this forum for a while. You guys from other areas are beating up anglers in area with small impact. Creating an issue that really doesn't exist, and making a pile of noise. I think it is shameful if you ask me. We all have way more important things to get through in all of our areas right now. Give your heads a shake.
How on one hand can you claim no science, no data and then right away say no impact. There isn't really a good winter spring fishery worth while around where I live so I could give to hoots about loosing it and would gladly offer it up as a contribution and have my poke at two decent springs in the summer.

And so because there is no decent winter fishery where you live you are eager to throw those who do have a great winter fishery under the bus. Others that already have the most restrictive summer Chinook fishing on the coast. I would suggest you rethink this..as up until now the south Island has put up with taking the hit so others remain untouched. That shouldn't be taken for granted...you can only take so much.

As I live in this area I can understand why SV is getting emotional and p o 'd.

Just curious Eric as the intent of this thread was not to “pick on” 1 area.....is there a winter Chinook fishery in Washington State?

Just curious Eric as the intent of this thread was not to “pick on” 1 area.....is there a winter Chinook fishery in Washington State?

I'm not from Washington, but took a quick look at the regs as I was curious. The regs are complex but I believe it depends on the area, some areas don't have winter spring fishing (areas 1-5 - Straight of Juan DeFuca, west coast) where the seasons end in September (or earlier if qoutas are caught ) , but others do have winter seasons (San Juan islands and Puget sound) where retention is either 1 or 2 hatchery fish only (all wild chinook are released in all areas) and the size limit is 22" which is about 56cm.

Is there a winter fishery in Tofino?
Yes there is but i haven't participated in it for 20 years, ever since i saw a trail of 4 lber's floating behind my boat no matter how gentle i was. I was also a river guide for 12 years and have a good idea about releasing fish.

Yes there is Rollie but i kill a couple of yellow fins and call it a day. Not releasing them all morning.

A bank fisherman/experienced guide from Tofino who slaughters fish two months a year is actually lecturing us on a winter fishery. LOLOL I will say something from fishtofino I was wrong about you. Your out for yourself and its apparent by your posts on here. Have a good day. Done with this thread.

When I catch my undersized Chinook is August and September (10 inches and smaller) some will die I am certain. This is at the same time as fishing for what ever returning salmon are available. I have caught them on pink hootchies and spoons when fishing for pinks and sockeye. I have caught them on white hootchies while fishing for Coho in September. I have caught them on spoons that are bigger then them with hooks so big they go in their mouth and out their belly.

Natures conservation seems to work where I live and fish. Wind keep most away and a large amount winterize their boat from October to April. A winter closure would really hurt the guides. Who without a doubt would be fishing catch and release if they were forced into a closer.

March to June- If I catch undersized they are typically all as big as a pink salmon and catch and release is not an issue. Never seen one impacted the slightest, on the line for a sort time and a quick gaff release at the boat and there good to go.

I think sports fishermen are going to have to make a compromise or will be told to. That is they way the winds are going with the SRKW issue.

I have many thoughts on this topic but they are not backed by a lot of science. However I think as a group we need to be having these conversations. Its pretty obvious that some people on this forum have way more self interest or business interest in it then others.

Not sure how a closure would work. You would have to completely close it fishing all together. all finfish ect... other wise guys will be out fishing for marlin and be hooking Chinook by "accident".

One thing without a doubt is we need to be having a conversation and we need to advocate as one voice.

At a recent meeting it was disclosed that 30% of all juvenile Chinook salmon are predated on by seals. So if you really want to save young salmon and allow them to grow up to provide opportunity for all fishers and the whales...there is the best bang for the buck..pun intended. That is only the juvenile count, sea lions also take another large percentage of the adults. As their population continues to increase so will the consumption of these salmon...offsetting any effort on our part to reduce our take.

A bank fisherman/experienced guide from Tofino who slaughters fish two months a year is actually lecturing us on a winter fishery. LOLOL I will say something from fishtofino I was wrong about you. Your out for yourself and its apparent by your posts on here. Have a good day. Done with this thread.
You have no clue about me yet are keeping up the personal attacks.

You said to let it go on the last page and here you are still at it.

I have zero respect for you and your selfish motives.

At a recent meeting it was disclosed that 30% of all juvenile Chinook salmon are predated on by seals. So if you really want to save young salmon and allow them to grow up to provide opportunity for all fishers and the whales...there is the best bang for the buck..pun intended. That is only the juvenile count, sea lions also take another large percentage of the adults. As their population continues to increase so will the consumption of these salmon...offsetting any effort on our part to reduce our take.
I think we all agree that Salmon populations will never recover without a seal and sea lion cull

Back