Im fixin to get a new smoker: Advice wanted.

Birdsnest

I've been using true north smokers for many years but have decided to move on due the the lack of temp control specifically getting into the higher temps required.
I like the looks of the smokers that take the puck chips but not sure I want to commit to pucks due to the cost and I like to harvest my own wood for my smoking endeavours.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Just a thought, if your into doing your own mods. If your looking for more heat you could get a propane BBQ side burner and put it in place of your electric element. They can easily be found for free when people throw out their propane BBQ's. Lot's of mods documented on some smoking forums. You could use it in combination with a pellet smoker tube to do both hot and cold smoking. Looks like a good Canadian smoker that could easily be altered to fit your needs with a little modification.

I've got a masterbuilt. I use it in conjunction with a pellet smoker and really like it. Side by side to a bradly I'd say fit and finish is nicer on the masterbuilt.

Long story short, I have a little chief smoker whose heater element died. It is an older model and the newer style replacement element isn't compatible. With a little bit of modification I replaced the element with a hot plate from XS Cargo for about 12 bucks. It takes a bit of getting used to but the rheostat switch on the hot plate means you can adjust the heat of the hot plate from barely warm to red hot. A note of caution, too high a setting will result in the smoker chips bursting into flame, not so good for smoked fish. A little trial and error and you'll figure out what settings work.XS Cargo is no more but Walmart sells one for $15

Long story short, I have a little chief smoker whose heater element died. It is an older model and the newer style replacement element isn't compatible. With a little bit of modification I replaced the element with a hot plate from XS Cargo for about 12 bucks. It takes a bit of getting used to but the rheostat switch on the hot plate means you can adjust the heat of the hot plate from barely warm to red hot. A note of caution, too high a setting will result in the smoker chips bursting into flame, not so good for smoked fish. A little trial and error and you'll figure out what settings work.XS Cargo is no more but Walmart sells one for $15
This is a fantastic idea! Thanks.

That is also a common mod. Do some searching on the smoking forums. Combine it with a pellet smoker and you can use the hot plate for high heat without catching the chips on fire.
Without the element on you can still cold smoke with a pellet smoker tube. I suggested propane for the higher temps it would put out. Lots of guys swap out the element for a hot plate. I think some hot plates work better than others for this mod, so do a bit of research.

build one.. not that hard to do and works great i got inspiration from Nog love mine and it works great and i use real alder have a hard time paying for wood when its right here FREE....

Wolf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
build one.. not that hard to do and works great i got inspiration from Nog love mine and it works great and i use real alder have a hard time paying for wood when its right here FREE....Sorry dont know why it wen sideways View attachment 30709
possably he might not have the room that you have for a kick butt smoker, but if he does that would be the way to go

I find it difficult to find racks for home built. Otherwise I would build one.

I used oven racks can EASILY get them from a used appliance repair shop or recycle place it holds 2 per shelf. have 8 racks and it holds it all for salmon and about 100 lbs of hams and or BACON!!!!20160312_155615.jpg 20160313_194614.jpg

Parksville Boathouse has a great deal on the Bradley 4 rack.. Some where around $250 mark. Bradley makes a great smoker. Love mine, easy to use and control temp and smoke

i have not been happy with Bradleys warranty, more door pins fell out after one use, but because it was over a year old they would not help, sent them pictures and all,

I used oven racks can EASILY get them from a used appliance repair shop or recycle place it holds 2 per shelf. have 8 racks and it holds it all for salmon and about 100 lbs of hams and or BACON!!!!View attachment 30713 View attachment 30714

Build your smoker from the inside out. Find your racks first, then size your inside dimensions around the racks you have obtained. Pretty hard to do build your smoker first then find exactly the right size racks.

I love my Bradley right now. They are great smokers that make you look like a hero if used properly. That being said, I have always wanted to build one like Nog's or Roy's. One day.........

I built mine like I did for one main reason , I have a HARD time paying for wood for smoking when its right here at our door step. and I cut with a saw with just veg oil in it etc im pretty fussy. if i can save a few $$$$ just doing that alone then its worth it. as for racks most are standard size but YES find em first , the smoker didnt take long to do ,if you do have any question feel free to PM ill pass on all the info I have found over last 4 years with this beast.....

Good luck Wolf

I've seen that one of Roy's a few times and it is a beauty. It's in my retirement plans to build one like it.

I built mine like I did for one main reason , I have a HARD time paying for wood for smoking when its right here at our door step. and I cut with a saw with just veg oil in it etc im pretty fussy. if i can save a few $$$$ just doing that alone then its worth it. as for racks most are standard size but YES find em first , the smoker didnt take long to do ,if you do have any question feel free to PM ill pass on all the info I have found over last 4 years with this beast.....

Good luck Wolf

Great offer Roy. I love your set up.

You have the room Birdsnest. Just sayin' :).

Back