IHPC 2013 Halibut Biomass reductions

so lollypop, i guess you are ok with the US anglers now pressing for a complete closure of WCVI and JDF salmon fishing since those fish belong to us. what a nice, not, neighbor you are.

X2 fkn 2

nice ta here that from a guide Serengeti !!

fd

Great last two posts. Every time I see searun post I cringe as he has said a cpl of times "1 daily 1 possession is looking pretty good". It is mind boggling he would post that on a public forum. No offence but that's ****ing stupid!!! Ya show dfo you think that's good...genius. I'm with the last two and we better let dfo know that's what almost all of us think and 1/1 or 1/2 with slot is not acceptable nor "looking good"

so lollypop, i guess you are ok with the US anglers now pressing for a complete closure of WCVI and JDF salmon fishing since those fish belong to us. what a nice, not, neighbor you are.
Don't know why Americans want to close their side of the strait or the waters outside our territorial limits off WCVI to American fishers either,but its their choice I guess??

Good neighbours don't build their fences on other peoples property either!LOL

Another thing that bugs me about posts saying looks like it'll be 1/1 or 1/1 is looking pretty good right about now is the fact that that is a dumb way to enter negotiations. One of the reasons unions are so successful is because they ask for the world! They set their sights do high initially that they get to meet half way and get a **** to more out of companies than if they went into it saying we'll take a 5 cent wage increase...no they ask for a dollar plus pension plus benefits and then eventually agree on 50cents and pension. While I realize we do not have the bargaining power of a union, we should still take this approach as I more than believe it would pay off

since we're really talking about Halibut in this thread I don't think you can press American ownership of the resource.
after all you don't have halibut hatcheries. ;)

We really are easily distracted aren't we.

SQUIRREL !!!!!!!!!

how do we ask for higher limits when there is a 34% reduction being presented. something is going to have to give. 1/1 with a total limit would be acceptable.

how do we ask for higher limits when there is a 34% reduction being presented. something is going to have to give. 1/1 with a total limit would be acceptable.
Maybe the reduction could be taken from the 281 commercial guys who don't fish? In 2011 the DFO reported that of 435 licenses issued in 1979, only 154 actually landed halibut. Its clear to me that 281 or almost twice as many are just receiving money for having been fishermen in 1979. That needs to be addressed before anything else. It hurts the actual commercial fishermen as well as sport fishermen and only benefits a small group of people getting a government engineered handout.

Que searun 'Dave that's pretty greedy. what about making sure All candians have access to this Canadian resource" "we are in a tough spot here and we are just gonna have to work the system and have the longest season possible so all candians can fish halibut. That is most important."

Que derby "great post"

Que fish tofino. " lorne you don't know anything! shut up and get involved!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha Lorne. It's their job to find ways to make it work fisher. That's why they get paid the government salaries and benefits...anyone who says 1/1 is acceptable is hurting our cause a million times more the helping it!!!

Great comments on these posts and must say I agree with most of you.
We need some effort right now to send a signal to politicians and DFO.
I'm sure some have read the post I made yesterday.
If not here is a link.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...tal-Halibut-Quota-Fishery&p=263858#post263858

As you can see this is just a small part of the problem but it's something we can effect right now.
Messages need to be sent and I'm asking some of you fellas to do something.
Get it.

GLG

ziggy of the 154 commercial fishermen who do fish halibut many of them hold 3 or more licences to get a large enough quota to bother to fish so y0ur facts are not right als0 the commercial organizations think that the halibut total allowable catch in area 2b will stay at the status quo;who knows but its a hope

also the commercial organizations think that the halibut total allowable catch in area 2b will stay at the status quo;who knows but its a hope

Their just pulling your leg so not to trouble you and perhaps raise concern with DFO before the season starts.
Need proof .... How about reading what IHPC just posted again.... you tell me where it say's relax boy's no changes here.... not time to make a fuss..... move on nothing here to see.
GLG

ziggy of the 154 commercial fishermen who do fish halibut many of them hold 3 or more licences to get a large enough quota to bother to fish so y0ur facts are not right als0 the commercial organizations think that the halibut total allowable catch in area 2b will stay at the status quo;who knows but its a hope
My facts are correct and were supplied by the DFO in response to a question I asked? I'm fully aware that these 154 fishers are paying the non fishers, who do nothing but recieve a cheque to use their quota(my point) , but the fact is only 154 are fishing,although 435 are getting paid! If the commercial industry can't support 435 licenses then why have that many, especially when 281 are simply sold each year and not even used by their owners?Why not reallocate the 281's quota between the actual 154 fishers and the sport fishers?
By the way, what kind of a business plan is based on the assumption someone will sell you their quota in order for you to bother to fish? I sure wouldn't invest!

well ziggy perhaps you should ask dfo how many quotas were leased last year my son fished a quota consisting of three or four small one joined into one quota over the years; your info might have been right at some time in the past but certanly not now; many quotas have been cojoined in past and is still going on; how many different quotas are there now; i dont know only dfo can find out

well ziggy perhaps you should ask dfo how many quotas were leased last year my son fished a quota consisting of three or four small one joined into one quota over the years; your info might have been right at some time in the past but certanly not now; many quotas have been cojoined in past and is still going on; how many different quotas are there now; i dont know only dfo can find out
My info was for 2011 the last year DFO had info for, did they tell you differently? There were 435 licenses http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/licence-permis/quota/2012/comm_halibut-fletan-eng.pdf of which 281 landed no fish. Are you saying DFO has reduced the number of licenses since 2011 ? Where did you get that info from?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think things should be left alone till we can accertian whats really going to happen; with all this talk about lowering our quota to one a day and five a season is just providing ammunition for our opponents to shoot us down with; be carefull what you ask for you may get it you might not like it then; our area two b is the only one with an increasing biomass of halibut; in alaskan waters its the other way; they should and will take the biggest cuts; canadian govt stood up for us last year and hopefully will do so again; we have turned the corner in bc the last couple of years and should benifit for it; while alaskans fight on board obserbers and factory ship discards they have been in place in canada mady years; so i am hopefull of a better outcome than most others here

zig when limited entry for halibut wes started around two hundred boats got licenced thes e are the ones that got quotas then these quotas were split into two equal parts making the 435 different quotas a lot of these were two small to be viable and were allowed to be sold to other people by devious means in volving lawers it slowly became obvious ot dfo to legalize it by making them tranferable but to keep the fleet composed of many sized boats a limit was imposed of only one percent of quota on one boat; each time quotas were joined one quota dissapeared; how many are there now only dfo knows; no matter what they say there are not 435 now probally closer two or two fifty i really dont know; of the 154 that fished most own some quota; some fish there own quota plus some leased from slipper skippers who use their quotas as retirement funds; everyone wants them to be fished byowners its a political problem

I hope people understand that DFO is the biggest slipper skipper as they own over 20% of commercial quota.This was purchased for the first nations in the picfi,so do you really see them changing anything as tis was their vision (ivq) 20 years ago?

Back