IHPC 2013 Halibut Biomass reductions

How about Crown Isle pub on thursday at 7pm ?
Man I miss the Lorne.

How about Crown Isle pub on thursday at 7pm ?
Man I miss the Lorne.
I'm in,,, sorry LP but we can do it again when you get back.

wasnt referring to DFO creating a web , more about SFAC/SFAB... or someone really dialled in to the existing process ....from a-z...

You said it takes alot of time and dollars to organize meetings ,open houses ???
just figure setting up a website would reach WAY more Canadians than local Public Meetings ,its NOT expensive , even attach a chat forum on the site..

fd

Yes, and like you I don't have the time to collect and maintain a web site like that - way too much updating would be required (and who would pay for that..not me). All I have time for is to attend a few meetings and help out where I can. If someone has the interest and time to do so there are plenty of folks around who could feed them updates. As for setting up a forum, what's wrong with this place? I think most of the information, updates and latest issues are being posted here by folks directly involved in the SFAB process, so you aren't missing anything from what I see. About the only thing that wasn't out there in 2011 was the actual halibut catch data. DFO did not share that in a format anyone could post, or at least I'm not savvy enough with computers to do that like others might be. I also believe that per action items requested, the SFAC Chairs will be provided with all that data and analysis of various options. Like I said, there's plenty of ways for everyone to get information...and if someone out there was willing to host a website and maintain it, there would be plenty of contributors lining up.

Another option might be to join the mail list of a SFAC, pretty simple to do and you get all the updates..more than you will want. If you are interested, send a PM with e-mail address and we will add you to Area 23. If you want to get directly involved, the Area 23 group is looking for a good guy to sit on the Prawn Working Group right now.

good on ya Gil
thx

felix

We had 2 public meeting in the last year and maybe 2 or 3 smaller meeting before them to organize and set a date for those 2 meetings. And yes they were open to the public but during the day. I'll take you up on the offer to help setup something on face book so more people can see what is going on. And yes I did offer to setup a website (at my cost) to help this along. Problem is I'm not a website designer but I can setup and administer the servers. There is a difference. As you may have noticed I'm all for getting everyone here in Area 14 involved. And I might add so far we have been getting more people here involved. I know I can count on you and LP to come out to a meeting to voice your thoughts and that's what I want. Many of us are pushing hard to get things going but let's face it we are all busy and the political climate in Canada is putting the screws down on getting anything done.
GLG

A " Halibut Only " website ,

with all links associated with Halibut , updates , forecasts , numbers , whatever ,options , ideas........
Rallys , donations yadayadayada.... im sure theres guys willing ta step up and help admin , moderate whatever they do.. Thx Gil , he stepped up , **** id be willing ta contribute some funds ta help set this up ,
a forum as well , this forum can be usefull , but , tends ta lose its wheels to often , a " HALIBUT Only chat forum !!
maybe facebook is an option , i only use it to harass people and send explicit photos ...

later fd

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it appears that the quota for next year will be a lot less than last year.
That being the case, to get through the season and allow all anglers to have a chance then a 1/1 for June till Sept. appears to be the answer.

Could be. Its too early to know for sure what our TAC will be. Call me Pollyanna but I'm hoping our Canadian Commissioners at IHPC can argue our case - there are certainly some abnormal increasing abundance trends in area 2b compared to other areas on the coast. I think GLG said it best, we need to start thinking in terms of what we "need" our season to be, not what we want it to be. Certainly agree that the core season should be June to August.

May long til sept long.. 6 anual limit...1 over, 1 under,, 1 per day/2 per trip.. Report catch.. Pleeze

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, that is what I would want also. However we need to be prepared for what we get. 30% is a big hit. Unfortunately, I think OBD may be on the mark at 1/1 and shorter season. Sure hope that's wrong, but I fear its right. The difference between projections last year with the 1/2 slot taking us to end of season and what actually happened was the 2012 projections were based on the 2011 exploitation rate...we had a better season in 2012 and burned through the TAC at a faster rate than 2011. Next thing you know we are in August and...Houston we have a problem!! That's why you didn't get past Sept long weekend. Don't have all the data, DFO hasn't put out the data yet...but that's the gist of the early indications. So, for 2013 DFO will take the 2012 data and use that to run their projections of exploitation rate, divide by TAC and there you go.

May long til sept long.. 6 anual limit...1 over, 1 under,, 1 per day/2 per trip.. Report catch.. Pleeze
And the commercial quotas held by non fishing fishermen be eliminated. Heck, there's a huge conservation move right there,

Rip lips bonk repeat after me!!!!

Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk!

Simple retardation in charge of the bus. Please let us report our catch accurately you assholes!! All this 'we exceeded' or didn't is estimation and we know how good they are at that.

Did a good job at divide and conquer though. Been the only thing they have been effective at and they've done it well from the get go.

Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk! Rip lips bonk!

May long until Sept long wipes out the halibut fishery in area 19 & 20...like we don't already have enough crap to deal with here.

We can ask all we want, unless the Minister is forced by the court in the Malcolm case to come up with a way to transfer quota from the commercial sector to the recreational sector we will be stuck with the TAC we get. From there it simply comes down to coming up with a way to fairly distribute that TAC across all areas of our coast. With the TAC going down by some unknown amount (but likely to be 30% or less) we all face some touch choices. Perhaps 1 fish; 1 possession is starting to look pretty good.:(

We can ask all we want, unless the Minister is forced by the court in the Malcolm case to come up with a way to transfer quota from the commercial sector to the recreational sector we will be stuck with the TAC we get. From there it simply comes down to coming up with a way to fairly distribute that TAC across all areas of our coast. With the TAC going down by some unknown amount (but likely to be 30% or less) we all face some touch choices. Perhaps 1 fish; 1 possession is starting to look pretty good.:(
what I meant by that was, give them(dfo) the idea to cut us back to may to sept, with a limit of 6....we need to stop giving them ideas on how to restrict us .
WE gave them the idea of salmon slots, a few years ago and thats what happened! WE gave them the idea of a halibut slot, WE got it! Rec fisherman r getting punished for the mismanagement of fisheries! Even if we and commie fisheries r cut by 30% it doesnt change the fact that commies still get an unfair allowcation of the tac. Its still the same! just 30% less! WE give ...THEY take! I dont mind 1 fish, 1 possesion, thats what we do anyway! ...regardzzzz

I want a full and garanteed halibut season from 1 Feb - Dec 31 with 2 per day and 3 in possession with a possibility of 2/2 in years of low abundance. I want no in-season closures. I want the necessary quota for this be transfered for free from quotas stripped off quota holders who haven't fished their licence themselves over the last few years. I want that resident and non-resident sportfishermen are treated equally in terms of licence conditions.

Great last two posts. Every time I see searun post I cringe as he has said a cpl of times "1 daily 1 possession is looking pretty good". It is mind boggling he would post that on a public forum. No offence but that's ****ing stupid!!! Ya show dfo you think that's good...genius. I'm with the last two and we better let dfo know that's what almost all of us think and 1/1 or 1/2 with slot is not acceptable nor "looking good"

Back