IHPC 2013 Halibut Biomass reductions

%30 less ?

cant speak for others ,but , was this last season not really productive ? had a great season , both on the hook ,
draggin in the mud , best in 5 or so years ?? bigger as well.. we were finished in short order on most days ,,
as i stated on a earlier post , i seen less halibut at the Poett Nook tables this season , mostly due to the inshore fishing so hot right through July on the inside ,
less pressure on the outside perhaps because of this.. the guys that did venture out , DID WELL !!

just an observation

sorry GLG , i think all sportsfishers should have a right ta know of what our options are ,its a public resource, yes its complex , set-up a website ta explain it all, may be an option ,75 attendees at meetings , vrs over 300k fisherman , that geographically can not attend , is NOT fair...???
no im not ok with trusting others decisions , it keeps getting worse every year , time for change !!
alot of guys here were quite pissed off about how last year played out , all we heard was that , there was not enuff time ta for other options ,
if this happens again , i truly believe there will be more fighting amongst sports fishers , which is NOT good,

anyways

gd lk ,i know ya guys mean well , BUT !!
pretty hard ta talk about this anymore ,frustrating..
like beating a dead horse..

m2b

fd

With the latest infomation that has come down in the last week... and the SFAC handing in there reports at the SFAB .. the hailbut working group has been given and will be getting some new tools for the tool box and will be looking at some option...so to answer your question we don't have anything to present untill they have time to process it all and see what can come out of it..... So most likely Jan. there will be something perhaps to look at .... it is how the process works.... and all the good people involved in all levels of the process do have your best interest in mind... :)

I agree with GLG - there are a lot of very good people working tirelessly on our behalf trying to find ways to get us a fishery that works best under the circumstances we find ourselves in. I also trust they have our best interest at heart.

He's also 100% correct, time for us all to start changing our thinking around to finding ways to get the season we "need" as opposed to the season we might want. Given what appears to be a very challenging season, we will really need to work together to figure out solutions quickly within the framework we are eventually given...it may not be a 30% reduction, but it will be a reduction.

I can't agree with the suggestion there hasn't been enough effort to create open dialoge on halibut options. A lot of people have worked their butts off to arrange meetings and spent lots of $ to make that happen. So I would say more has been done this year over last on that front.

This year there have been a great many ways used to engage rec anglers - this is about as transparent as it can get. There were 4 public meetings; the SFAB has put out a Halibut Options Paper for input from all SFAC's; the IHPC has published all meetings and scientific data; there are a number of posts on this forum and others containing information and links; as information and potential options are developed they are shared - what more can be done??? Sorry if I sound more than a little frustrated..but we worked really hard to generate discussion.

Don't forget there still isn't any catch data available for 2012; no DFO science analysis of various management options; no decisions on Canadian TAC. Earliest we can expect any of that is about 3rd week of January - roughly when TAC announcements usually come out. Once that happens we have until the first week of March or so to assess the TAC, regulations options then get the licenses/regulations printed. A whopping 6 weeks - there won't be much time for consultation...we need to be realistic in terms of expectations.

There is a process by which DFO collects input from the rec sector and that is for the moment the SFAB process. DFO hasn't been interested in public engagement via websites - and I rather doubt they have the $ to start now. In fact, they can barely afford the SFAB process which is being scaled back due to budget cut backs. So the staff at DFO are doing the best they can with ever decreasing resources - an impossible situation. I sympathize with and respect their efforts given their rather unfortunate plight.

I do appreciate that there is a feeling out there that if you do not live on the island you can't participate in the SFAB process. In reality that is NOT true. The SFAB process takes place coast wide - including Vancouver all the way up to the Fraser Valley. SFAC's are open to the public, as are all SFAB meetings. There are also other ways to get involved including joining a NGO like the BCWF or SFI...both of which are working for your benefit...good example, they jointly funded our Intervenor legal involvement in the Malcolm case. Some of these same people are also working around the SFAB table - I think they have put their money where there mouth is. They are saints and we treat them like crap. Typical.

Last, if attending meetings, joining NGO's isn't in the cards, try visiting the IHPC website to get the most up to date info and write your MP. Here's the link to the IHPC site and last meeting info including all presentations:

http://www.iphc.int/meetings-and-events/interim-meeting.html

Sorry for the rant.

Talk to your MP about funding for DFO - its all about budgets to pay for that. Who's going to do it when they are cutting back on staff resources? Situation is bleak.

I can't imagine how to dumb I would look talking to my mp about a facebook page. All I am suggesting is maybe the sfac might want to consider it.

wasnt referring to DFO creating a web , more about SFAC/SFAB... or someone really dialled in to the existing process ....from a-z...

You said it takes alot of time and dollars to organize meetings ,open houses ???
just figure setting up a website would reach WAY more Canadians than local Public Meetings ,its NOT expensive , even attach a chat forum on the site..
If more people is genuinely what you are seekin , the Internet is the way ta go .. meetings are a lill dated ? no ??
Life is a busy times for most , internet is easy , fast , available 24/7 , to all Canadians last i heard..
i barely have time for me !! im sure most would agree . How many of your Charter Customers show up to the meetings Searun ?? do they not want to keep up to date , and have a say ?? im guessing you email them , or call them directly , what about the rest of the Sportys that spend thousands , to put in your economy

seems like you always have an opinion , or always shooting down ideas ,?? agree with guys only , that have your views ,,
please stop using the card, of us not appreciating all the efforts of the volunteers that work there asses off , thats a pile crap ,
i speak to a few of them , often !!!

gd lk.... popcorn time Lippy.......

fd

wasnt referring to DFO creating a web , more about SFAC/SFAB... or someone really dialled in to the existing process ....from a-z...

You said it takes alot of time and dollars to organize meetings ,open houses ???
just figure setting up a website would reach WAY more Canadians than local Public Meetings ,its NOT expensive , even attach a chat forum on the site..
If more people is genuinely what you are seekin , the Internet is the way ta go .. meetings are a lill dated ? no ??
Life is a busy times for most , internet is easy , fast , available 24/7 , to all Canadians last i heard..
i barely have time for me !! im sure most would agree . How many of your Charter Customers show up to the meetings Searun ?? do they not want to keep up to date , and have a say ?? im guessing you email them , or call them directly , what about the rest of the Sportys that spend thousands , to put in your economy

seems like you always have an opinion , or always shooting down ideas ,?? agree with guys only , that have your views ,,
please stop using the card, of us not appreciating all the efforts of the volunteers that work there asses off , thats a pile crap ,
i speak to a few of them , often !!!

gd lk.... popcorn time Lippy.......

fd

Most SFAC members are here on this website.
So from my first SFAB meeting it is obvious how much influence we/you have.
Do I face book? no but maybe I should..
Do we need a SFAC/SFAB website? Yea I would agree but what do you want me to do?
Spend time on building a website or spend time making sure they don't close your favorite fishery.
Tell you what ... If someone steps up I will put together something for us to use.
I need someone that can use wordpress to build a site that we need.
We could add a forum to that website.
Strictly non-official as I have no mandate to do such a thing.
Back to face book.... Don't know much about face book but if some of you guys here know more and can help me I could start the ball rolling with our local sfac. Perhaps others would follow.
I'm all ears.... like I have been for years.....
GLG

Excellent post FD/Lorne. The meetings wouldnt be secret if they were online. Id join the Area 14 Facebook Page to keep up to date.
The meeting are not secret ... they are free to anyone that want's to attend.
To use that word is counter productive.

Alright I'll give up close during the summer but open march 1st and close when the tac is gone. In Victoria June 1st - July 31st it's hardly worth fishing for Hali because you'll catch 100 dogfish to 1 Hali. So that leaves basically August to fish for them without a huge headache. I get about 2 weekends per year in August to fish and those are salmon trips. I'm not giving up months and months of opportunity for tourists and part time guides. The tourists can come here whenever they want they are not limited to summer.

If they delay the opening I'll be looking at my options including C&R.

That argument aside if Canada's portion is up 30% just maybe that's because our regulations ARE WORKING and we can keep it the same if not INCREASE the TAC without hurting our area. If you tell me the Hali I caught from march - September were heading to Alaska I call absolute ******** most had white (local) bellies only a couple were red (transient).

Well that sounds convenient for the Victoria area fishers. What about all the other Canadian citizens that the fish also belong to?

sorry GLG , i think all sportsfishers should have a right ta know of what our options are ,its a public resource, yes its complex , set-up a website ta explain it all, may be an option ,75 attendees at meetings , vrs over 300k fisherman , that geographically can not attend , is NOT fair...???
no im not ok with trusting others decisions , it keeps getting worse every year , time for change !!

fd
The whole process is set up like our parliament. Democratic ideal. We all have a common purpose. We all have differing views but we all still work together for the common good without dividing into opposing sides, with each side trying to get it's own way. How do we get 300k anglers a voice in the process? Well we elect representatives to speak for them. Our local SFAC are elected by the local anglers and they send a rep to SFAB to speak for them. We use "Roberts rules of order" to make sure things are fair and everyone has a chance to be heard. It's works and as an example here in Area 14 we had a public meeting about our halibut options. As chair I did not agree with one of the options that was put forward..... so what did I do? I put forward what the membership wanted... not what I wanted... So to be clear... Area 14 decided on the halibut options not me. I brought forward our local view (vote) to SFAB through the minutes from our meeting. Not sure if there is a better way to do it than that.

many of us are trying to make things better and as an example, I would say that the hali poll's and the post's on this website do influence what happens. You are a part (unofficial) of the SFAC you just don't see it...
GLG

Gil not trying to be counterproductive but I think you know as well as I do the only meeting that gets any notice on here is the annual one,once a year. Im sure there is more meetings? If you need help with a area 14 Facebook page let me know. I cant guarentee it will help. But maybe people can hear what goes on at all the meetings?? And give there opinions on things. The Web would be productive for local areas to talk to each other also, maybe we should set one up for BC SFAB get the whole provinces opinions? I think everyone at that meeting this year were from the forum, maybe Facebook might get someone else involved? Websites cost money Gil and cost more to maintain, not sure if it can be done unless you have a donation?

Well that sounds convenient for the Victoria area fishers. What about all the other Canadian citizens that the fish also belong to?

Pretty funny coming from the yap of a person on wcga. Holy pot calling the kettle black.

Anyhow, back to the op.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty funny coming from the yap of a person on wcga. I'm pretty sure last years regulations where in you clowns best interest not eveyone else's

You've got a small fning mind Lorne

Don't ever pm me again

You need to look into and mark meetings on your calendars ahead of time. Lots of times you dont see anything about on the internet until the day before kind of thing. And many anglers arnt on the net and need to hear about meeting by word of mouth.

I dont see any info on it on here but my on my calendar I noted there is a meeting tomorrow at the Esq. anglers club of the amalgamated groups...? ( sorry taking notes on iphone I couldnt type fast enough but it must have been important, mabey someone knows?) 7pm

Also sfab members are acknowledging dfo is not taking there advice and anglers are trying other avenues to save our fishery's http://anglerscoalition.com/ please consider joining. listening in at sfab meetings dosnt cut it.

Gil not trying to be counterproductive but I think you know as well as I do the only meeting that gets any notice on here is the annual one,once a year. Im sure there is more meetings? If you need help with a area 14 Facebook page let me know. I cant guarentee it will help. But maybe people can hear what goes on at all the meetings?? And give there opinions on things. The Web would be productive for local areas to talk to each other also, maybe we should set one up for BC SFAB get the whole provinces opinions? I think everyone at that meeting this year were from the forum, maybe Facebook might get someone else involved? Websites cost money Gil and cost more to maintain, not sure if it can be done unless you have a donation?
We had 2 public meeting in the last year and maybe 2 or 3 smaller meeting before them to organize and set a date for those 2 meetings. And yes they were open to the public but during the day. I'll take you up on the offer to help setup something on face book so more people can see what is going on. And yes I did offer to setup a website (at my cost) to help this along. Problem is I'm not a website designer but I can setup and administer the servers. There is a difference. As you may have noticed I'm all for getting everyone here in Area 14 involved. And I might add so far we have been getting more people here involved. I know I can count on you and LP to come out to a meeting to voice your thoughts and that's what I want. Many of us are pushing hard to get things going but let's face it we are all busy and the political climate in Canada is putting the screws down on getting anything done.
GLG

I think the SFAC has taking great strides on being more transparent. THey did a great job so far this year IMO as well as the SFI, and have truly changed my opinion. I think the SFI, and maybe the new anglers coalation is more up my ally, but cudos to the folks at SFAB, with thier input we will have quillback for years to come.

And your making me look good...

Let's face it we are all idiot's from time to time on here.
Heck that's what happens when winter hits and the wind kicks up to keep us off the water.

We need to get together with some other guy's to talk about things.
You up for it?

Ill work on developing a page for you Gil, you want it to be Area 14 SFAB for starters?Maybe get some of the young guns out there more into the discussion.
That would be great but I have no mandate to use that name.
You in for a get together?

Back