I think I caught a record Dogfish

ILHG

Crew Member
I caught this dog fish while at Haida Gwaii last summer. I looked up records & the biggest I seen was under 6'. Because it was so big I didn't want to kill it. So I cut the line & got her back right away. If I would have took the time to measure & record her it would have put more stress on her & possibly killed her.

It was in about 200' of water. It was not a 6 gill shark.

https://www.glaucus.org.uk/Tope-RR.jpg

Looks like a Tope Shark. They're found worldwide and quite a few guys have been getting them fishing hali in BC. Look very similar to a Spiny Dogfish but typically larger. Sometimes they put up a decent scrap and usually make you think it's a solid Hali.

Interesting... I will look that up. It definitely put up a solid scrap. It had head shakes that had me convinced I was going to have my white meat for the season.

It doesn't appear to have the fin spines that spiny dogfish have. According to DFO the Tope has its anal fin directly below its dorsal fin. There is just a glimpse at the end of the video where that appears to be the case.

Last edited:
Im going to see if I can find the pictures I took. That might help

I'm going to say ouche if that was a dogfish.. that spine would have really hurt...

Not a dogfish, dogfish have 5 gill slits, there appears to be six on the shark in the video

Nope I checked that already. Only 5. See attached pics

Attachments

• IMG_0373.PNG
    IMG_0373.PNG
    795.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0372.PNG
    IMG_0372.PNG
    796.7 KB · Views: 95
Pretty sure thats a Tope shark - its hard to tell from the video, but from what i can see of the tail at the end - its a tope. Take a close look at the shape and compare on google.

Thanks for all the feed back. Looking the info I'm finding I think it may be a tope.

Attached are the only pics I have. Hopefully this helps put the puzzle together

Attachments

• IMG_6326.JPG
    IMG_6326.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6325.JPG
    IMG_6325.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 114
In addition to the lack of dorsal and anal spine, one other thing for me is the eyes, they don't look like a dogfish's eyes. I've looked deep into the eyes of many spiny dogfish... :D

Back