I finally did it... Bought a boat!!

I bought my brand new 18' 2017 Falcon Kingfisher last fall. Love my boat but I definitely had my boat blinders on when I picked it up. When I went to pickup the boat and I found 5 small deficiencies with the boat. Which the dealer fix no problems. After installing all my goodies on it I noticed more deficiencies. Looking really closely at the hull I noticed two patches done. They were small but noticeable and the swim grid had a small gouge. Because it was a new boat I didn't think I would have had to look at it with I fine tooth comb. It doesn't bother me that the boat has those patch or the deficiencies it bothers me that the dealer didn't identify the problems before I picked up the boat.

Next time I'll get my wife to look over the big purchase before I pick it up.:p She would have walked away and left me crying "I want my boat" LOL

Honestly, I involved my wife in the whole process. I even walked away from a boat at the Seattle Boat Show. The funny thing was, she knew how badly I wanted it but she was so proud that I was able to say no and walk. When the Sportsman I purchased came along, she let me go for it.

And, ABSOLUTELY! In all honesty, if my wife was able to come along with me to look at the Sportsman and ask questions about safety and creature comforts, I am 85% sure she would have pushed for the Searunner. She's a great first mate. We just took our boat out on Lake Washington to start the break-in process this past weekend. She seemed to really enjoy driving it around. And, she didn't really have a problem with our "deluxe" yogurt cup bathroom! It's the 48oz organic version. :)

Thanks for everyone's help with insurance. I ended up going with Dolphin Insurance. They were ~$400 less than my current provider for my house & vehicles (TD Insurance). Also they have WAY more on the policy, definitely best bang for my buck.
It worked out to $800/yr.

Glad it worked out well for you. I did a lot of research in 2013 before buying my policy from Dolphin. Not sure about others, but I’m extra picky about car and boat insurance b/c of my teenage kid.

Enjoy your new boat and give us reports of ur first trip to HG. ;)

Honestly, I involved my wife in the whole process. I even walked away from a boat at the Seattle Boat Show. The funny thing was, she knew how badly I wanted it but she was so proud that I was able to say no and walk. When the Sportsman I purchased came along, she let me go for it.

And, ABSOLUTELY! In all honesty, if my wife was able to come along with me to look at the Sportsman and ask questions about safety and creature comforts, I am 85% sure she would have pushed for the Searunner. She's a great first mate. We just took our boat out on Lake Washington to start the break-in process this past weekend. She seemed to really enjoy driving it around. And, she didn't really have a problem with our "deluxe" yogurt cup bathroom! It's the 48oz organic version. :)

Wow!! This is so true for me to! It was the exact same thing with my wife. Crazy to here I'm not alone.

That is a solid boat, and plenty of width and depth. It would be nice if our CDN Dollar would start to recover. In 2013 these boats were being sold in the mid 30K range. When the Dollar crashed, the same boat jumped into the mid 50 K range. The cost of the labour in the US did not jump, nor the materials, for us north of the 49th parallel, it was purely the dollar that did us in.

Drewski

Finally picked her up today! I had to take it across the the USA side to do an offshore delivery (as to avoid paying PST). It was so choppy water on the way back and a great chance to test it out. It exceeded my expectations. Tomorrow morning I hop on the ferry and head home.

Attachments

• IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    834.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    646.1 KB · Views: 116
Finally picked her up today! I had to take it across the the USA side to do an offshore delivery (as to avoid paying PST). It was so choppy water on the way back and a great chance to test it out. It exceeded my expectations. Tomorrow morning I hop on the ferry and head home.
Beautiful boat my friend...that will give you many years of enjoyment. I'm really glad you went with the 150 on that beast! Can't wait to get a ride in it!

You're teasing us with only 1 & 1/2 pics. Congrats your patience has paid off big time. Looking forward to your fishing reports.

Nice ride @ILHG ! I can’t wait to hear more about it after some sea trials.

I think I’ve seen a similar $h!t eating grin recently. :p

Was thinking, "now there's a **** eating grin if I ever saw one..." also... haha

Very curious about the "so as to avoid paying PST" angle here. Not sure how that works, particularly if you're going to apply for a BC registration number.

Very curious about the "so as to avoid paying PST" angle here. Not sure how that works, particularly if you're going to apply for a BC registration number.

I registered it in Alberta. There are 2 ways to avoid paying PST if you are not a BC resident.

1. Have the boat delivered to a different province

2. Do an offshore delivery.

I chose the offshore delivery, so I could take the cost of shipping it & use it to pay for a small holiday to come get it myself.

I don't understand all the info behind the offshore delivery. We basically drove the boat to USA customs & filled out a form. The dealership keeps a copy of the form for audit purposes. It's $40 for customs to do the paper work & then you head home. Oh I also sign a declaration form that I am not a BC resident.

If I would ha e had to pay PST it never would ha e been economical for me to purchase my boat in BC. It's a crazy a$$ amount of tax.

My next post will be when I have pics of her all rigged up. Now the fun begins. Lots to do in the next couple months.

I have had anxiety about drilling holes in the boat....

Stay tuned

I registered it in Alberta. There are 2 ways to avoid paying PST if you are not a BC resident.

1. Have the boat delivered to a different province

2. Do an offshore delivery.

I chose the offshore delivery, so I could take the cost of shipping it & use it to pay for a small holiday to come get it myself.

I don't understand all the info behind the offshore delivery. We basically drove the boat to USA customs & filled out a form. The dealership keeps a copy of the form for audit purposes. It's $40 for customs to do the paper work & then you head home. Oh I also sign a declaration form that I am not a BC resident.

If I would ha e had to pay PST it never would ha e been economical for me to purchase my boat in BC. It's a crazy a$$ amount of tax.

Ah - didn't realize you weren't a BC resident. Makes sense now.

First day off at home since I brought the boat home. Yesterday I got my order from the "Tackle Shack" & finally get to start on the fun stuff. Scottys installed & looking dam sexy if I say so my self.

I am switching out the steel cable with 200# power pro. Only concern I have is how do you spool it at 312'/min...... Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_2871.JPG
    IMG_2871.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 56
First day off at home since I brought the boat home. Yesterday I got my order from the "Tackle Shack" & finally get to start on the fun stuff. Scottys installed & looking dam sexy if I say so my self.

I am switching out the steel cable with 200# power pro. Only concern I have is how do you spool it at 312'/min...... Any advice?
YESSSSSSS!!!!

Back