I finally did it... Bought a boat!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by I Love Haida Gwaii, Jan 17, 2018.

1. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Active Member

I also have cheaper insurance but my policy require me to winterize my boat from December to April. Also only covers items like rods/gear that are in a locked bow storage.

2. saanauk

saanauk Active Member

Well I live down in the States ;)..insured through Anchor Marine in Seattle. The policy is called a “yacht” policy but my boat is clearly not a yacht. It allows me to have a policy coverage up to 75 miles offshore anywhere in the lower 48 States and Canada.

3. NahmintPR

NahmintPR New Member

I sure like mine a lot... 10 years later.
    Let the fun begin!

4. sir-vivor

sir-vivor Well-Known Member

Well .... Only thing I see bad about your new boat is "ITS GOT NO BLOOD ON IT !" HAHA !
    Enjoy and hope you geter really bloody this summer ...........
    ps Still a nice looking water sled even without the blood !

5. Stizzla

Stizzla Active Member

ILHG- have you started the break in process on that bad boy yet? You need to have it ready for our trip this summer.

6. I Love Haida Gwaii

I Love Haida Gwaii Well-Known Member

Haven't done it yet. Going to ha e to wait until spring. All the water is frozen around here. Also I'm going to wait to pick it up until April.

This has given me time to figure out how I want to set up the boat. Also a chance to try to save up some more cash to do it before it hits the chuck.

I wish I could have pulled off getting a Evinrude G2 on it, then I wouldn't have to worry about the break in & first 20hr service.

We need to get you up to Haida Gwaii so I can show you a good time.

Stizzla likes this.
  7. Aridhol

Aridhol Active Member

I have an 18' sportsman, great boats. Not a tonne of frills but well made and tough. You're gonna love it!

I Love Haida Gwaii likes this.
  8. Prairie Locked

Prairie Locked Active Member

Are you saying you lack commitment to get it done? Frozen? Pppppffffft! Lol

9. I Love Haida Gwaii

Lol!!! Trust me as soon as I have enough open water I will be out there. Even if I only ha e 100' off shore open

Prairie Locked likes this.
  10. Prairie Locked

Prairie Locked Active Member

You and WaterWolf, he may need to go out as an ice breaker.

11. Christl Waters

Christl Waters New Member

What a great looking boat.

12. ronj

ronj Active Member

Hey ILHG.... not sure how to send PM... send me one if you can.... I just realized I live family close to you... also have a Hewes... I can help you with rigging big time...... contact me if you can.!
    Thanks

13. Christl Waters

What are you plans for equipping it. Sounder, kicker, rod holders, etc?

14. I Love Haida Gwaii

So far I have the following picked out & ordered. Still have lots to figure out, but I got this going for now.

- Lowrance Elite 7 Ti c/w total scan
    - Standard Horizion GX1700 radio
    - 2 x Scotty 2116 HP Downriggers
    - 2 x Scotty stainless steel rocket launcher rod holders

I still need a kicker also. Just need to wait until I get the funds to get one. I may need to do this season with just the main motor. Not ideal but better than nothing. Its crazy how much it is to equip the boat.. I will send some pics as it comes together. I had the fish finder & radio installed at the dealership. I will do the down riggers when I bring it home in April.

kingblazer84 and Stizzla like this.
  15. Christl Waters

I just bought a fairly well equipped 2009 Boulton Sea Skiff, and I have still put over $1,000 in to it with new starter, IAC valve, surge brake and a bunch of other stuff. I guess there is a lot of truth tot he old BOAT acronym. I wouldn't trade it for nothing though. Cant wait to see it all come together. Do you come over to the island?

16. ronin2024

ronin2024 New Member

I bought my brand new 18' 2017 Falcon Kingfisher last fall. Love my boat but I definitely had my boat blinders on when I picked it up. When I went to pickup the boat and I found 5 small deficiencies with the boat. Which the dealer fix no problems. After installing all my goodies on it I noticed more deficiencies. Looking really closely at the hull I noticed two patches done. They were small but noticeable and the swim grid had a small gouge. Because it was a new boat I didn't think I would have had to look at it with I fine tooth comb. It doesn't bother me that the boat has those patch or the deficiencies it bothers me that the dealer didn't identify the problems before I picked up the boat.

Next time I'll get my wife to look over the big purchase before I pick it up.:p She would have walked away and left me crying "I want my boat" LOL

17. ronin2024

ronin2024 New Member

Also I paid $600 for insurance from Intact Insurance

I Love Haida Gwaii likes this.
  18. I Love Haida Gwaii

Havent been to the island yet. That's the 2019 plan & will be spending a couple weeks there. This year I have 2 weeks booked in Haida Gwai which will be her maiden voyage to the salt.

19. Christl Waters

How do you get to Haida Gwai? I just looked it up and it looks amazing.

20. I Love Haida Gwaii

Typically I just took a charter into one of the lodges. However a couple years ago I booked a flight through Air Canada to Sandspit & spent a couple weeks with my family there. Best o do a VRBO.
    This time the family is flying in & I am driving to Rupert. From there im taking the boat across on a ferry.