Hunting 2012

Was day 2 of taking Laura out hunting... A totally new thing.She just did all of her courses last year at Courtenay Fish & Game... He walk past us at about 30ft as we were about to give up and go home. Had to stop our conversation and walk over to the truck and get the gun. He didn't care about us even being there. He just kept his nose to the ground. Such a great day. :)

Was day 2 of taking Laura out hunting...

Excellent!! Gotta LOVE it when the New Ones get in on The Game! Especially The Ladies!! :)

Took the 2 main rifles to the range today. Verification before headed to the mainland.

Happy with the results.

Here is the group out of the 270 Browning at 300 yards. 15 mph breeze from left to right. Aimpoint top of chevron:

300_Yards_270.jpg

Yes, that is indeed a group that a dime completely covers. 130 grain Nosler Partitions in the Federal Premium load (only load for the Weatherby these days...)
No need for any re-calibrations in my mind's eye.

300 Weberly Magnuts performed a 1" group at 300. 180 grain Nosler Partition on top of 82 grains of 4831. No pix, metallic silhouette up the hill which I simply wasn't hiking to.

DEAD Moose Walking...
happydance.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Congrats! Some Fine Grits right there!

Going through the list:
Tags in hand - Check
Rifles and bow sighted in (again) - Check
Truck Tuned up, oil changed, lubed, aggressive tires rotated - Check
Chains to replace the stolen ones - Check
Tent and all related gear ready - Check

Leaving Monday EARLY. Moose, Mulies, Whitetails and just maybe a Big Kitty on the menu! :D

See y'all in a couple weeks or so...

Cheers,
Nog

Hey Zuess Owen your on a roll. Congrats big time on all the great eats there. I got snorted at the other day and had fun playing around with a buck in the Christmas trees that I could not see but was only 40 yards away from me. He was raking the trees big time with his antlers and making quite the commotion. I kept blowing out my nose, scratching the dirt with by boot, and raking the broom bushes with my rifle. It all kept his attention for about 5 minutes then he let out one big snort and actually ran off instead of bouncing which was interesting. I waited about 20minutes and didn't hear any more from him so I figured he was long gone.

Running out of time now. Prime time for em right now!!!

Cheers,
John

Thats awesome Owen--- like you said-- pepperoni at the Xmas gathering (hint-- hint!)

Congrats! Some Fine Grits right there!

Going through the list:
Tags in hand - Check
Rifles and bow sighted in (again) - Check
Truck Tuned up, oil changed, lubed, aggressive tires rotated - Check
Chains to replace the stolen ones - Check
Tent and all related gear ready - Check

Leaving Monday EARLY. Moose, Mulies, Whitetails and just maybe a Big Kitty on the menu! :D

See y'all in a couple weeks or so...

Cheers,
Nog

I don't see knife on your list. Shot a 2x3 last sunday and forgot my knife. Had to drag the deer almost 2 Kim's full weight. Needless to say I was finished. My hunting partner helped me drag it out the last 500 yards or so.

I don't see knife on your list. Shot a 2x3 last sunday and forgot my knife. Had to drag the deer almost 2 Kim's full weight. Needless to say I was finished. My hunting partner helped me drag it out the last 500 yards or so.

OUCH! Was that fairly close to Port? Heard about one the same size, and the same story just a couple days ago...

Kinda tough for me to forget my knives - one on the belt, spare in the shell bag, second spare in the backpack, and two more spares in the truck console. Carry the full-sized ceramics to keep them tweaked in the truck, and a field set on my belt.

Betcha never leave home again without eh? :p

Final Inventory and packing under way. First boat off The Rock in the am, then off to the hills.
Getting Damn Excited now it is so bloody close! :D

Best of Luck for the remainder of the season Folks! Hope to post a picture and tale or two upon my return...

Cheers,
Nog

Excellent!! Gotta LOVE it when the New Ones get in on The Game! Especially The Ladies!! :)

Took the 2 main rifles to the range today. Verification before headed to the mainland.

Happy with the results.

Here is the group out of the 270 Browning at 300 yards. 15 mph breeze from left to right. Aimpoint top of chevron:

300_Yards_270.jpg

Yes, that is indeed a group that a dime completely covers. 130 grain Nosler Partitions in the Federal Premium load (only load for the Weatherby these days...)
No need for any re-calibrations in my mind's eye.

300 Weberly Magnuts performed a 1" group at 300. 180 grain Nosler Partition on top of 82 grains of 4831. No pix, metallic silhouette up the hill which I simply wasn't hiking to.

DEAD Moose Walking...
happydance.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Hmmmmmm, wow Nog that equates to a hole in one at 100 yds, great shooting! Soooooooo, what do you have it sighted in for at 100 yds, 8" high at 100........ Good luck in Sask.

SS

Hmmmmmm, wow Nog that equates to a hole in one at 100 yds, great shooting!

Thanks! That rifle consistently shoots one hole groups at 100 yards. With the BOSS system, you simply Dial In for pretty much any Quality Load.

Soooooooo, what do you have it sighted in for at 100 yds, 8" high at 100........ Good luck in Sask.

I was actually aiming right at the top of the perpendicular orange bar. Wind drifted them ~ 1/2 to 3/4 inch right. Good on elevation.
The rifle is currently sighted in 2.75 inches high at 100. Still high at 200, and just a smidge low at 300.
130 grain Nosler Partition screaming out over 3100 fps. HOT & Fast for a 270 :)

Off to 3-29B (NW of Kamloops) in BC, then the OK. Haven't been over in Saskabush in many years...

3 rifles packed, crossbow and extra bolts too. Ready to ROLL in the am! OUTTA HERE! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Well we went up to the Bull River area out of the Cranbrook area and the wife bought an elk tag and I got a moose tag..........no moose to be found but she decked a 6pt bull elk at 275yds with her Remington 788 pushing out a sierra 100gr boat tail spitzer with 42 1/2gr of 4350 behind it. We went back to the same area 2 days later and there was another 6pt bull a little bigger at 150yds but we only had the one elk tag................besides what are we going to do with two elk?........it was fun to see them

Attachments

• Wife's 6pt.jpg
    Wife's 6pt.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 155
Spent three days last week in prime honey holes around CR for 3 does a bunch of elk and bear. Not sure where the deer where, but the sign was there.

here is a tease from the bugger we were chasing.......and still chasing. Happened between trip into the remote area.....

IMGP1717.jpg

IMGP1716.jpg

Finally on Saturday, the weather had changed....and so did my health. Total count for the day was 17 deer, 6 bucks (4 spikers, a two point and one I just could not get a good look at, no tags cut) and me ending up with a fever, migraines and chest infection.....good thing I got a moose in the freezer as my season is done.

Good luck to all you still heading out.

Cheers

SS

Back