Hunting: 2011

Just got in late yesterday we got our deer pics to follow had fun weather was weird on the 27th it was + 17 WTF then them high winds on the sunday VERY weird weather .... more to follow.

wolf

Good luck Nog. I never knew you were a bow hunter!

ANY Implement Of Destruction will do! :D

Bows, muzzleloaders, shotguns and rifles have all had their place in my arsenal. Gone to a crossbow now, my shoulder finally lived up to the SawBones' predictions and won't allow me to pull a longbow any more. Itchy to break this new one in...

Reports suggest the deer are moving en masse into their lower winter range habitat out that way. Bodes well for for the upcoming Fun! :)

Nice whitey hooktender! Sounds like you had some FUN too Wolf! Have to wait to see the pix until I wander home...

Saddled Up and Headed Out! Catch ya'll on the Flipside...

Cheers,
Nog

Wish I could.....I want some help. Gulf Island Deer they are, but with days running out I am not sure what to kill. I look at them and want better. But at the same time I want Pepperoni. Going Nuts....You ever sat there 10 feet from so many does and small bucks wondering if you should make pepperoni out of them? I hate it.

I hate it..

So offf we went on the 21st to calagary hiways the worse ive ever seen snow on every pass and saw a hardly and plows or sand trucks??? WTF 3 inches of snow the crews should be out there??? went to visit a client and he put us up for a couple of nights in his house which was great he is a long time client comes out 2 times a year for the last 8 yrs or so.
Get up next morning and yep go spend some money at bass pro shop of course!!!!!! later that night Big Al takes us to BOLERO the brazilian restaurant man was that good they come around with big skewers of meat and carve it off for you damn fine lamb chops and ribeye.... ROLL out of there.

So on the 23 head for sask to relax (I think) LOL arrive at my buds place he has moved to a place called simmie lake nice new house right on the lake, tells us he has a little job for us the next day and it wont take long ok "whatever" you want gary.......that was a mistake get to the ol shaunovan hotel he took it upon himself for us to volunteer us to move a pool table in the hotel for his new house and then bring the new one in ok how heavy can that be???? WELL holy crap a slate table is FRICKEN heavy!!!!! we go get some 2 inch pipes so at least we call roll it after a hour finally one on the flat deck trailer then the new on comes on a forklift drops it on the deck and we roll that one in and set it up, I ask Gary do you not have any friends in sask??? you got to import buddies from BC to move stuff??? LOL LOL his response "MY FRIENDS ARENT THAT DUMB" LOL LOL ok back at me LOL

So off we go stop in and say hi to the game warden and get our habitat tag and looky there gary can get 2 whitetail doe tags... AWESOME...

So off we go back to simmie set up the table everything done Garys like ok lets GO shoot some does cause the area we are allowed to do this is about 10 mins away so we pile in the truck we cant shoot yet but gary can as our day isnt until the friday. 20 mins in 1 doe down, about an hour later i look into a fence row and notice a rack near a fence wow a wide nice 5x5 gary looks it over Damn thats a shooter off we go to take a closer look buck busts out and runs down the row so we boogie around to the far side this things comes up over the hill right at us with his harem of does and stops 50 yds away then realizes oh oh makes a jump for the fence 1 shot drops it right in the neck. 2 deer down in a hour and a bit. finish off on the way home and drop another doe. into the shed we go 3 deer down and skinned in less than 3 hours.....
GREAT start!!!!!

So Friday the 25th is our day and away we go wind is just fricken howlingand kinda warm we dont see to much as the wind is really bad.day 2 we head out again this is better -11 we have to go down to an area where we can get 2 mule does on the way there we spot a nice 5x4 so my bud decides yep ill take him bOOm down it goes perfect lung shot.and we get our 2 mule does as well back to the shed... I make a huge seafood feast for all his freinds that night seafood linguine with salmon and halibut and clams, ceaser salad, garlic toast all from scratch and a varity of salads brought from his friends 18 of us have a great night lots of laughs and fun times and a few bivies... ok alot LOL

Wake up sunday it is just fricken howling this is the day calgary got hit real bad its blowing so hard I can hardly open the door to the truck...we go anyways the plan is to hunt to 2 then de bone what we got as we cant bring whole deer into bc we see only about 10 deer and the ones we did see are hunkered down in coules and it was +16 WTF LOL go back home do what we do and watch BC kick some winterpeg butt .so my plan the next day is to get mine as im the only one left to shoot.
Monday get up its about -2 so not to bad and no wind thank god off we go seee lots of bucks but all dinks, garyy wont let me shoot this one buck thats bedded down cmon its only 11 by 3 we will take a meat buck. an hour later we gaet a call from one of his friends Got a nice 5x5 over down past the hale bail near the flat part of the road!!!!!behind the spped trap ....(sarcasm) as if I know where the it is but gary does. off we go on the way there we notice a nice buck about a mile away we stop hmmm not bad on gary phones his bud back "where is this buck" dont worry hes gone his bud says down into the coule as i scared him off.... For f sakes garys say ok bye we spotted one anyways....

So we make our way up to where the buck was in our "moving blind" and I get out and peak over the top into a slew bottom see a small buck and 3 does??? Im like where did that deer go then notice off to my right a doe in some buck brush then the big boy moves gary yell take him(i have my gun up already) this thing bolts out of the brush DAMN if anyone knows or hunted praire deer when the run THEY REALLY run so I line up on him as hes slightly quarting away I even lead him a bit BOOM "WHACK" he goes down yep got him right in the left butt "F^%#" if it was few inches further would have been a perfect shot oh well got my buck a really nice 5x5 with big guards and a neat mains that almost touch a good caracter buck most am very happy it may not be the monster but the trip was fun and hanging with friends was the most fun so here is some pics, you can see the hill the back ground where I shot from and how far he got out. the racks are from the first to last deer down.

And yes lipper make them bigger please thanks

Attachments

• Sask 2011 003.jpg
    Sask 2011 003.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 80
  • P1000843.jpg
    P1000843.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 73
  • P1000824.jpg
    P1000824.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 78
  • P1000828.jpg
    P1000828.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 75
Cause you copied the attachment link... you would have to save them and photobucket them

Sask2011003.jpg

P1000843.jpg

P1000828.jpg

P1000824.jpg

Like a soo

Impressive Wolf. I always look forward to yours & Nogs (among others) hunt'in trip summary each year.

Appears not many places for them peckers to hide in them parts.

Glad you had a good trip.

There is sooo many coules with caragana bush and buck brush and dips out there you would be surprised how little cover then need to hide my buck was day 5 in and he was the biggest we had seen and we cocvered a lots of km Ive seen them duck there heads down while passing only to pop up again when the vehicle passed they are indeed smartest deer going and man can they run.....

GREAT Report & Pix as usual Wolf! Sounds like another Fun Run for sure!!

Back from Kelowna area late yesterday. Missed a HUGE Muley at close range, first animal I ever fired the new bow at, and zip - right under his chest. OUCH!
Took the bow to the range for a little work, and discovered she was launching them out just a little low. Fixed that, practiced a good amount, and set back out there...

Put a short stalk on a spike whitetail (first whitetail buck seen in 4.5 days of hunting!). Perfect shot from 38 yards, and dropped him instantly! I was surprised by that reaction - first time I've seen the bow totally collapse one on impact!

Hunted solo the next, a high country still hunt for the full day. Saw over 30 muley does, and only 1 buck - at 70 yards and could not close the distance. Rut obviously WELL over at that point, so decided to drop downhill for the next couple of days to chase whitetails.

No Joy the next day either. But the day after saw a couple whitetail does in what I considered a venerable position. Put the stalk on them, and zipped a yearling doe at 20 yards.

Ended up seeing a Gagger whitetail buck the next morning, heavy flirtation with a doe, but no way for my partner to close. Also saw a couple Basket Rack bucks the same morning, but I was done for that zone.

So, now back home, a big GRIN and a load of fine eating for the winter!! :)

Heard a little rumor about steelhead of late, so will be investigating that shortly now...

Hell of a fine capper to an excellent season!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

A few pix from the run...

Up On Top:

OnTop.jpg

Ponderosa Hillside:

PonderosaHill.jpg

How many does?

HowMany1.jpg

Closer Look (10 yards!)

MDoes.jpg

Couple more to come...

First Buck with the new bow, 35+ yards, through and through:

Spike1.jpg

Second for the new rig, 20 yards - a yummy little doe!

Doe1.jpg

Tried some of the doe last night. In a word - AWESOME! Literally melt in your mouth YUMMY!
bowdown%5B1%5D.gif

That area has some rather "interesting" locals! LOL!

MabelsMelons.jpg

FUN
Run! I will be headed back methinks!

Cheers,
Nog

Hooktender so TRUE!!!! LOL LOL
One year I took a buddy in calgary I asked him how many shells he brought???? 1 box he says why Im only shooting 1 deer I made him buy a second box at wholesale. After the first day and 10 shots later he just shook his head and "Holy F$%K do those deer ever run" LOL LOL
he did get his deer....

Wolf

We did a final dead line hunt this past Saturday....Pepperoni Hunting :) Last day...Got to love it...Could have filled the tags but we are sportsman.... A friend and I filled 2 of three tags with an 2x2 and a 3x? we will never know..... But the pepperoni this comming week at tha Comox Vallay Christmas Party will be great. It sucks having a empty tag but thats how it goes :(

HMMM and how was the garlic nog????LOL LOL

Back