Hunters Call To Arms!

IronNoggin

Hi Folks,

Just got tipped off about an impending Anti-Grizzly Hunt Rally being scheduled for April 1 in Victoria:

bc-rally-poster.jpg

The Fellow who did the "tipping" suggested it would be in Hunter's better interest were we to have a significant presence at this show.

"If we outnumber the antis on Saturday, government will listen. I can tell you government is looking at all options right now and you know what they say about politicians - they only respond to heat, light and fear!"

This particular gent has extremely good insider intel regarding the provincial liberals, so I take what he says to be damn accurate.

Suggest any that can make an appearance!!

See you there...
Nog

Looking like I might be able to make it.
Pee Poor timing, short notice & between paychecks...
But...

Also have heard there will be the odd liberal and maybe even a guide or two in attendance.

Hope our side shows up STRONG!!

Cheers,
Nog

Nog, why do you think we should be killing these animals?

I’m no bleeding heart … over my 67 years years I have killed way over my share of animals; possibly close to 750,000 salmon (bioassays with juvenile salmonids subjected to pulp mill effluent and adult sockeye and chinooks in contaminate and fitness studies on the Fraser River) ; sports fishing for app. 55 years, hunting birds and big game for about 40 years, and running a registered trapline way back in my youth.

One of the highlights of my life was the day my wife, 2 dogs and I were walking a trail along the Horsefly River … we came around a bend and came face to face with a sow grizzly with 2 yearling cubs, perhaps 40’ away.

Being in DFO at the time I had had lots of bear awareness training, carried a DFO shotgun when I thought it necessary, but on this day I was not working, no gun … and nearly shat myself. The sow had two options; take us out, or flee. She made a grunt and she and both cubs were nearly instantly gone into the bush.

It was a moment I and my wife will never forget, and obviously it worked out well for us so I may be a bit biased …

But, and, I question why in 2017 we as a society feel the need to “harvest” grizzly bears? Is it the testosterone rush to kill one of these alpha predators?

I no longer hunt so someone please explain it to me.

Nog, why do you think we should be killing these animals?

Quite Simple Dave. They, like everything else, have to be managed. They simply cannot be left in a vacuum to do as their population desires. We two legs have disrupted the Balance right across the board, and as such, it is now (and likely forever unless we take ourselves out) up to us to at least try and maintain that Balance when and wherever we can. Management by Science, not displaced anthropomorphic sentiment.

Currently BC holds about 15,000 grizzlies. The harvest rate is about 300 of those per annum (or 2%) The biologists firmly believe the population can easily withstand a considerably higher removal rate, in fact up to six percent. Hardly a significant impact. But tailored to individual areas / situations, provides a very useful tool for management concerns.

Recent studies have started to define the grizzlies effects on ungulate populations. In one particular case, a single boar consumed 34 caribou & moose calves in less than 45 days. Were their populations to continue growing unchecked, you can imagine just what that would spell for the populations of ungulates anywhere they roam.

Simply a matter of striking the balance. hunting has, and continues to be a reliable tool for management in this regard. Should be zero difference whether the subject is a large, brown eyed, charismatic attention grabbing species, or not.

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
.... I think you missed a "0" in your harvest numbers though. ;)

Erring on the side of caution (and so anything I say won't be used against me...) I chose to run with the lowest number within the "confidence limits". The bio's here concur with most field observers in that they honestly believe the BC population of grizzly bears to be at an all time record high...

Cheers,
Nog

Quite Simple Dave. They, like everything else, have to be managed. They simply cannot be left in a vacuum to do as their population desires. We two legs have disrupted the Balance right across the board, and as such, it is now (and likely forever unless we take ourselves out) up to us to at least try and maintain that Balance when and wherever we can. Management by Science, not displaced anthropomorphic sentiment.

Currently BC holds about 15,000 grizzlies. The harvest rate is about 60 of those per annum. Hardly a significant impact. But tailored to individual areas / situations, provides a very useful tool for management concerns.

Recent studies have started to define the grizzlies effects on ungulate populations. In one particular case, a single boar consumed 34 caribou & moose calves in less than 45 days. Were their populations to continue growing unchecked, you can imagine just what that would spell for the populations of ungulates anywhere they roam.

Simply a matter of striking the balance. hunting has, and continues to be a reliable tool for management in this regard. Should be zero difference whether the subject is a large, brown eyed, charismatic attention grabbing species, or not.

Cheers,
Nog
Ok. Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated. Always good to hear other opinions, especially from those with more knowledge on the subject.

I am not a hunter Nog, I always loved fishing too much to want to do anything else on my precious time off work. Many in my family hunted and I grew up eating moose as a kid. I fully support hunting, and wish you well in your efforts to protect your way of life. While I am not personally into bagging trophy fish or game, the bear populations do need to be managed. The problem with the agenda to protect all cute furry creatures is that they have no intention of stopping there if they get what they want. Groups like PETA will not be satisfied till all hunting and fishing is prohibited. Keep up the good fight Nog.

The inherent bias people have towards charismatic mega fauna is always interesting to watch. You can have the staunchest anti-hunting vegan who will trap rodents, kill insects, rain toxic poison down from the air if a picnic is threatened etc without remorse, but as soon as you talk about killing one that they've put at the top of their self created hierarchy their heads implode. Funny how people will put different value on different animals purely on an emotional basis.

I've grown up eating wild meat and continue to hunt it for my family but up until a couple years ago I had a clear line in the sand. If you're not gonna eat it don't kill it. After actually taking time to learn about the scenario it's clear to me we have a role to play in management. The animals that tags will cover won't be in the prime of their lives or essential for a particular populations survival. Remember folks, nothing in nature dies peacefully of old age.

Last edited:
The inherent bias people have towards charismatic mega fauna is always interesting to watch. You can have the staunchest anti-hunting vegan who will trap rodents, kill insects, rain toxic poison down from the air if a picnic is threatened etc without remorse, but as soon as you talk about killing one that they've put at the top of their self created hierarchy their heads implode. Funny how people will put different value on different animals purely on an emotional basis.

I've grown up eating wild meat and continue to hunt it for my family but up until a couple years ago I had a clear line in the sand. If you're not gonna eat it don't kill it. After actually taking time to learn about the scenario it's clear to me we have a role to play in management. The animals that tags will cover won't be in the prime of their lives or essential for a particular populations survival. Remember folks, nothing in nature dies peacefully of old age.
These should be required reading by all parties who wish to debate grizzly bear hunting and prior to deciding emotionally that all grizzly bear hunting should be stopped.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/grzzlybear.pdf

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/management-issues/docs/grizzly-bear-harvest-management-2016.pdf

The Commercial Bear Viewing Association welcomes The Grizzly Truth, a comprehensive new documentary on grizzly bear hunting
03/30/2017
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/58dc7ef4e4b0efcf4c66a5d5
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/thegrizzlytruth

Eco-freak travel videographer who despite his claims....was NOT going to make an unbiased documentary on the topic. I would be curious to know from those who are 'pro' hunt in his video....how he positioned what he was filming.

And no sh*t the "commercial bear viewing association" welcomes it, it's spun for them! It will be a travel video advertisement for those in big urban centers who don't know a moose from an elk to come see the "endangered" grizzly bear. Queue Miley Cyrus....

Look at his FB....nothing unbiased was coming out of this dude. https://www.facebook.com/tomtravelman

From his Facebook page.

1. Tom Reissmann shared The Grizzly Truth's photo.
  2. · March 2 at 9:02pm ·
  1. A big "Thank You" to Adam Sugalski for his incredible art work on this.
    Starting on #worldwildlifeday you can pre-order "The Grizzly Truth" and support the buy-out of hunting territories with your purchase. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/thegrizzlytruth

Would be nice to see this attitude towards all these tame deer running around our small community's.

NOT MY OPINION but here's an article copied from castanets news service about this topic:

No divide on grizzly hunt
Photo: The Canadian Press
David Wylie - Mar 30 10:23 am
A new poll finds most rural British Columbians oppose the trophy hunting of grizzly bears.

The telephone poll conducted in January by Insights West found 74 per cent of voters "in five rural ridings with strong hunting traditions are opposed to the trophy grizzly hunt."

"This poll categorically shows that there is no urban-rural divide on the issue of grizzly trophy hunting, something that has been asserted endlessly by politicians," says Julius Strauss of the Commercial Bear Viewing Association.

"British Columbians want an end to trophy hunting by a clear majority, even in deeply rural ridings with strong hunting traditions. It's time government policy reflected that reality."

Those who oppose trophy hunting of grizzly bears stands at 81 per cent in Kamloops North Thompson, 79 per cent in Boundary Similkameen, 78 per cent in Fraser Nicola, 66 per cent in Cariboo North and 65 per cent in Kootenay East.

"Few voters who cast a ballot for either of the two major provincial parties in 2013 are satisfied with the status quo on grizzly trophy hunting," says Mario Canseco, vice-president, public affairs at Insights West. "Voicing support for the current state of affairs is not bound to be a winner with voters at their doorstep."

The poll conducted on behalf of the Commercial Bear Viewing Association conducted from Jan. 24 to Jan. 31 has a margin of error of +/- 4.9 percentage points.

AGAIN NOT MY OPINION just an interesting article.

mobile_view_counter.php

Yep. American cities though. Come up here and it's a different story. Someone's actually proposed we give them birth control. Or trap and move them or anything except shoot them. Recent cull in Cranbrook though and lotta crying goin on about it.

Back