HP Restriction on Lakes

BDog Fisher

Does anyone know if kicker motors can be used in HP restricted lakes? I. e big motor trimmed up and using 9.9 kicker on a 10 HP restricted lake.

I understand this is regulated by Transport Canada. I have heard various opinions from it being legal to illegal as even if trimmed up the boat operator is in possession over the limit thus a violation.

Thanks in advance.

Keep the big motor up and out of the water and you should have no problems. If stopped by the CO, or anyone from Transport Canada (doubtful) they would have to have proof that you used the big motor on the restricted lake.

Used to bring my 17' G3 to Tunkwa. Didnt even trim up most of the time (main makes for a good rudder trolling in windy conditions) with my main 70hp yammy.

Used the 5hp kicker mounted on transom to move around the lake, and 72lb thrust bow mount minn kota to move stealthy from hole to hole and to troll. No one batted an eye, didnt think about legalities until reading this thread. May have been in the wrong?

Last edited:
I was thinking if the big motor is up there should be no issue. Someone also said to remove the big motor key and leave at home. Even harder to drive then.

Still a little nervous about this but I have an 18 ft boat which is great for the big family on trouts lakes. A Jon boat is too small for my needs.

I talked to a CO working Elk Lake about this last summer and he said as long as the big motor is trimmed up it's not an issue.

Spent four hours Tuesday checking out a few spots on the Lower Campbell Lakes system and was glad there is no HP restrictions where we were.

Not sure how many horses this 454 big block all tweaked out produces but the boat will do a bit over 65 MPH with four people in it.

Fun as can be too. LOL

Take care.

RSCN5370.JPG

Back