How the salt makes me feel.

matt benson

I don't know if anyone else deals with this, but when I don't take gravol can be a bad day.

Anyone, have some secrets once your going down hill.

Focusing on land at a distance helps to suppress the queasy feeling a little bit, but once youre sick youre sick. As the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I take a gravol in the morning and never have any problems, even fishing out at the bank all day.

take gravol the night before! stay hydrated!! no acids in the morning (coffee /orange juice etc.. eat light the night before..

i get bugged only if i am hung over, and if my sinuses and ears are plugged.. non drowzy antihistamine works wonders.

my morning meal is half cup of coffee, piece of toast with peanut butter.. never anything more.. then once we are set up fishin, a samich and water are in order.

Focusing on land at a distance helps to suppress the queasy feeling a little bit, but once youre sick youre sick. As the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I take a gravol in the morning and never have any problems, even fishing out at the bank all day.

i have definitely barfed my brains out and felt 100 after. dont fight it, get it out! lol

Can't remember ever getting sick on the water but think I came close once. Only because everyone around me was getting sick... haha. I usually try to take a gravol each day to try to keep it in my system. started taking the patch behind the ear last couple trips. only since someone else was offerring them. they tend to give you a dry mouth. never had a problem with a gravol a day though. often miss a day just cause I forget but never noticed feeling any worse for it. prob helps being the captain so your eyes are usually focused on the horizon quite often. A friend I fish with always pukes if he's in rougher water, but once he's gotten sick he usually feels better and gets over it. Have also heard that greasy foods like bacon, sausage are bad as well as citrus drinks like OJ, etc. but we always load up on that stuff most mornings.
Funniest thing I remember... (well maybe not that funny) was my buddy and his wife were fishing out near bajo reef. It was a bit rough that day but we were catching fish along the inside close to shore and some good sized ones so we toughed it out and stayed outside the sound most of the day. my buddies wife was getting sicker than a dog and I started feeling sorry for her and asked a couple times if she wanted to go in. My buddy answered for her each time and said, F... no. we're staying out here. She wanted to come fishing and she's going fishing. She was quite a trooper. if that was my wife I would have been divorced. lol. she was really, really good about it though and never complained once on the whole trip. she even got up from being sick and was taking pictures and video of her husband with some of the fish he had caught. all this while getting sick. she was at the point where there was nothing left in her stomach by that time.

Last edited:
yup..don't know how many times I have had the folks on the boat, after they went hard at her the night before.o_O... looking that aqua green colour and fighting the barf..:confused:.. final they getter done..:eek: a sport drink and they are re born and ready to good... :D

Eating hardy foods the night before then eating light the day of, Google search it for a lot more tips, different things work for different people. If I'm out there frequently in season, I get used to the motion. If I go out after a long time on land, I can get a lot more finicky. Also I find it easier when the suns out.

Only time I ever got sick was just outside Kyuquot. Late August 2014, it was blowing and swells to beat hell. I was on a 22' boat and buddy's boat was a 24' SeaSport which was less than 50 yards off our port. Swells were so big we couldn't see the other boat for minutes at a time. I started laughing at the guy on our boat who was chumming hard. Then the wind changed and the two stroke oil combined with the swell did me in for good. Stupid hing was we were Hali fishing and not doing well. Salmon jumping everywhere. If we were trolling we prolly would have been fine.

crack beers so my legs match the ocean swell ... then the beer legs kick in ... i mean sea legs :) ...

i try not to think about it because way back that's when i figured every time i thought about getting sea sick lol your mind starts looking for that roller coaster
feeling and your screwed ... also when heading to the fishing grounds for over 20min boat ride ...soon as the boat stops DO NOT LOOK DOWN because that's when
it hits you ,eye balls went from rolling to smooth deck of the boat .. until the second day of fishing then your brain is matched with the ocean waves ... i found

5th day in the shower you feel like your on the ocean now ... haha

Eat bananas. They come up smooth and creamy pretty much the way they went down.

I believe it's an inner ear problem that causes the nausea, same as vertigo.
look at the horizon and never go below deck.
ginger ale helps settle the stomach.

Have a buddy who I have listened to puking for years....he's fine on inside waters but the swell of the WCVI kills him.

I have tried everything under the sun (pills, patches, herbal remedies etc) and finally have the concoction that works and he CAN have cocktails the night before.

Before he goes to bed I fire some Gravol down his throat (the drowsy kind so they sleep well)....to which if he is half gassed I get a "You're awesome and I appreciate you taking care of me"....slurred notably. :p

I am always the first awake and I take him a Vitamin water and feed him Meclizine. It used to be available in Canada and branded as Bonamine but something happened and it no longer is. If you're down in the states, go into a pharmacy and ask for the generic version of it, it's dirt cheap. I have about 200 pills I bought for $20.

My other buddies I fish with are thankful for my efforts because I don't care how big your boat is, it becomes very small listening to someone hurl all day or having to run them in....sucks.

As mentioned we've been through everything with this buddy....Meclizine has no side effects for him like drowsiness which many other remedies did.

Last edited:
Wow I never knew this many guys get sea sick. I've had a few buddies get queezy and barf when it's a little swelly but usually after the initial barf have felt good after. However my daughter is a trooper she gets sick just stepping on the boat lol. Have found that ginger pills help her starting the night before but doesn't take the quezzy feeling away from her but has stopped the puking. If it gets worse she just takes reg gravol and goes downstairs and goes to sleep lol

Have a buddy who I have listened to puking for years....he's fine on inside waters but the swell of the WCVI kills him.

I have tried everything under the sun (pills, patches, herbal remedies etc) and finally have the concoction that works and he CAN have cocktails the night before.

Before he goes to bed I fire some Gravol down his throat....to which if he is half gassed I get a "You're awesome and I appreciate you taking care of me"....slurred notably.

I am always the first awake and I take him a Vitamin water and feed him Meclizine. It used to be available in Canada and branded as Bonamine but something happened and it no longer is. If you're down in the states, go into a pharmacy and ask for the generic version of it, it's dirt cheap. I have about 200 pills I bought for $20.

My other buddies I fish with are thankful for my efforts because I don't care how big your boat is it becomes very small.....listening to someone hurl all day or having to run them in....sucks.

As mentioned we've been through everything with this buddy....Meclizine has no side effects for him like drowsiness which many other remedies did.

Agreed 100%. Meclizine (aka Bonamine) has worked wonders for those I fish with who suffer from the "mal de mer". You lose the vertigo and nausea without feeling tired and sleepy. I'm one of those who only gets it if I over do it the night before. That means on a typical multi day fishing trip with the boys I end up taking a fair amount of Meclizine...

Also, I found out the hard way I'm one of those who has a bad reaction to the scopalomine patches. Watch out for that! The result of using one is that I basically end up sea sick on land the next day. I'd recommend trying one out at home before you ruin a weekend.

CP

Last edited:
Back