How not to launch a life boat

that is how they launch, pretty violent ride but you will live if you do up your seat belt

that is how they launch, pretty violent ride but you will live if you do up your seat belt
I think it's more like this... without the flip... to give you some forward motion to help you get some distance from what you are abandoning from.:)

Better Hope the belts work or everyone is coming out looking like a pug in the first one.

Oly

Me thinks the water entry angle of the LB in the 1st video was a tad steep - maybe due to the short ramp and/or ramp angle. Installation issue, IMHO.

Traditional LB launches can be dangerous or impossible in rough water - or if the ship rolls to one side - like the Queen of the North. Quite the ride, eh?

You have to wonder if even the difference between a fully loaded and empty ship would change the angle/ velocity at the entry point enough to cause the reaction in the first video? If so what was the launching ship status? At any rate it looks like some adjustment is neededIt's also interesting to note that the video is taken of a launch in an ideal sea state (none), imagine what it would be like in heavy seas!

there is no adjustment, the launch will happen in an emergency. its only goal is to get you off the boat in any sea condition, unlike and side launch davit. i have asked my chief engineers what the ride is like. most reply's are you will be alive after

I agree there is no operator adjustment on the ramp, but the angle (@35%?)and length of the ramp are factors as is the capacity of the boat being launched. I believe these are calculated and trialed by the builders. Not sure which is adjusted?Clearly some factor looks a little off ? Perhaps the Center of gravity of the boat, which I understand is another factor and can be a result of the boats load?

Agree that that one would have looked different with the full crew aboard. Probably different again had the ship been making way.
Also agree the angle of the ramp will be dialed to work on loaded or unloaded ships which could be a 6 to 12 meter difference!

Back