How Heavy Are Your Balls....

High Time

Crew Member
Sorry for the title but I couldn't resist..:D I upgraded to a pair of Scotty 2106's 3 years ago and have been loving them. I have been fishing a pair of 15 lb. coated balls and 4 lines since, with no issues until I started to fish deeper 150-180 and have started to have problems with the upper rod hooking the bottom rod line on the same side. Usually when I try and troll faster. I also fish in an area with quite a bit of current and riptides. Thinking I need to move up to heavier balls 18-20 and wondering your thoughts and also if the 2106's handle those weights OK?

Sorry for the title but I couldn't resist..:D I upgraded to a pair of Scotty 2106's 3 years ago and have been loving them. I have been fishing a pair of 15 lb. coated balls and 4 lines since, with no issues until I started to fish deeper 150-180 and have started to have problems with the upper rod hooking the bottom rod line on the same side. Usually when I try and troll faster. I also fish in an area with quite a bit of current and riptides. Thinking I need to move up to heavier balls 18-20 and wondering your thoughts and also if the 2106's handle those weights OK?

They handle 20s no problem.

a few things could be going on
1. if you aren't cinched down hard on your bottom line the blow out could be enough for your top lure to catch it, especially if you have a fairly large spacing between lines, which leads to #2. you may need to make your distance longer from your dr clip to your lure on your top rod.
3. if it is happening pretty much as soon as you set your lines you could be letting your gear down a bit too fast and that extra distance is enough to cause the problem.

I fish 15's all the time in current etc and don't have a problem fishing them deep, although I am not trolling any faster than about 2.5

also did you notice if the angle on your dr lines are blowing back much more when you fish deep, they should a bit more but not a lot.

Thanks for your replies. I thought the 2106 could handle 20's but like to hear from users out there. Nicnat, I have tried some of your suggestions but am still having issues. I think you are right regarding the problem being worse if the spacing between top and bottom lines is increased. I think what may be happening is that where I fish there can be opposing surface tide and deep currents that may be causing unusual blow back lower down on the cannonballs, allowing the upper flasher/lure to snag the bottom line in spite of heavy cinching down etc. Will try some adjustments this weekend

I switched to unabtanium wire and run 10lb balls down to 200ft

I pretty sure braid is thicker then stainless cable. Thicker means more drag/blowback. More drag would need a heavier ball to achieve 45 degrees of angle. Imo

Last edited:
I switched from 15's to 18's this year. You wouldn't think that 3lbs would make much difference but I didn't have any problems whatsoever fishing the strong currents in Campbell River this summer. I think it's the sweet spot as far as weight goes.

I would agree with that too. I lost a 15 # ball and used an 18 # as a temporary replacement side by side with a 15 and the difference was significant. I'd say almost 10 degree's of less angle with the 18, especially when fishing deep (200+). I noticed that there seemed to be less lateral sway with a cross current as well which I had to avoid with the weight differences on each side. For the HP's, I understand that anything less than 18 can cause cannonballs to be lost due to the quick retrieve as there isn't enough resistance (yes, I know it sounds counter-intuitive)

That said, I think it will also be of benefit to increase the spacing between your lines to prevent the tangles more than the weight. The more blowback there is in angle of the line, the less perpendicular your fishing lines will be to your downrigger line. This would overall cause your bottom line to to lengthen and your top line to shorten relative to each other.

Back