How Fast Do You Run Your Tubby Plugs?...and also..

I am a huge plug fan. Tubbies and Classics both run at different speeds just the same as the length does. The longer the plug the faster you need to go. For the ocean I have two deadly 7" classics. A 602 and a 530 G. The speed that they become killers is at 4.1-4.5 mph. Like flipping a switch. I have tons of Plugs. Until I lose one of my heavily chewed plugs, I don't start looking for new ones to run.

But the best way to set the speed on any plug is to get them back behind the boat where you are going to run them. Small plugs 40' back and big plugs 50-60'. Drop the downrigger just enough to get it slightly under the water. Then speed up to the point that the plug starts darting around erratically. Then drop the plug to the depth you are targeting.

Fishing plugs is one of my favorite lures. I think 99% of people never put enough time in them to get good at them.

You would think a rigger with two belts would be stronger than one with a single belt. I personally have never seen an older two-belt rigger. Mine has one.

I seemed to get deeper when my Power Pro d/line was new and shiny. Now it's kind of faded and lost some of it's luster.

The angle of the dangle:- The blowback on braid is not a straight angle downward. It goes out and then curves downward, especially at speed.

So when I'm doing 3 or 4 mph or more my angle up top is next thing to straight out behind the boat. But I know it curves downward after that.

At much slower speeds I shoot for about 35 degree angle which is doable.

I don't know how much 15's would affect my haul up speed. Just with 12's it seems pretty slow normally.

I started running 20# balls off my 1106's this past season and no issues. Definitely doesn't haul up as quick as the 15's but sure makes for a lot less blow back when stacking and can make very tight turns when just running 2 rods. I'll only run 15's now in the winter when dragging them through the mud.

Scotty claims they'll pull 15# at 203ft/min
and 20# at 185/min

I run all my Lyman 4" plugs at 2.5mph max 3 mph and they seem to preform well, I also have a couple 6" Tomics I run at same speeds and they seem to dance nicely but im sure if you get a feisty spring itll jump all over a plug being pulled faster.

Interestingly, unlike most other responders, I would be running the Tubby's slower than the normal speed when targeting large springs, particularly in inside waters, near the river. For feeders, I'd be at "normal" speed. This was my experience trolling in the 70's and 80's as well, particularly on the Bank in Aug.

I ran tubbys at normal flasher speeds with a dummy on one side, that being said though I had quite a few fish take the one I left down doing almost nothing while dealing with a fish on the other side....
Classics for sure a bit faster.
I don’t really believe in “the perfect speed” or exact cable angle though (especially as your downrigger target depths change), it was more about changing it up and turns during different conditions.

How should I rig 4 & 5” Tubbies? 6’ leader 40# also tied very tight and high on the pin, like a classic?

How should I rig 4 & 5” Tubbies? 6’ leader 40# also tied very tight and high on the pin, like a classic?

I tie them with a leader from a swivel set up sometimes if there is a lot of crap / jellies in the water but usually just tie directly to the main line. No swivel or anything.

I am also a pin puller.

Back