How do you guys store/cure your herring?

Just curious about how best to store the herring I plan to catch this year. I know there are about a million ways to prep roe, any thoughts on herring?

... milk and salt?

Alex

one of the secrets is when you catch them, put them in a bucket of water, but put a little bleach or some kind of chemical in the water so the herring die right away. This will minimize scale loss.

one of the secrets is when you catch them, put them in a bucket of water, but put a little bleach or some kind of chemical in the water so the herring die right away. This will minimize scale loss.

Wow those guys really go into detail on the salmon univ. site. I personal like to spend my time fishing and not following grandmas recipe for herring for two hours. We would have the odd part time guide show up in the Charlottes with a jar of blue food coloring for his bait, by the end of the day, he had stained his skin so blue, vigorous scrubing could not remove it a bit.

Wow those guys really go into detail on the salmon univ. site. I personal like to spend my time fishing and not following grandmas recipe for herring for two hours. We would have the odd part time guide show up in the Charlottes with a jar of blue food coloring for his bait, by the end of the day, he had stained his skin so blue, vigorous scrubing could not remove it a bit.

Ah the guy has got it all wrong, should be yellow with the goldy backs in that neck of the woods hey mama!!! Tried it at " THE SHAW" a couple of years ago. Only worked when the big schools of bait were around. It turned into and unexpected swackfest...dirty

Ah the guy has got it all wrong, should be yellow with the goldy backs in that neck of the woods hey mama!!! Tried it at " THE SHAW" a couple of years ago. Only worked when the big schools of bait were around. It turned into and unexpected swackfest...dirty

Back