Hornby/denman 2014

Got back yesterday from a week in this area. Went fishing every day there for a few hours.

Caught about a dozen springs in total, biggest only 16 lbs. Lots in the 8-12 lb range. Kept 2 for the barbie, released the rest. Also got a few nice lings, which my kids prefer to eat over salmon.

Found the fish in 200-250 fow, close to the bottom.

Tried various spoons, kitchen sink, irish cream etc and also anchovies. Neither produced many strikes, almost all the action came on green glow hoochies.

Had a fantastic trip, lots of stuff to do with the family in the area and fishing too!

Fished out of Bowser Bill's for years. John Lie weaver would always get us fired up when we called about how great the fishing is, and when we got there, could understand the turn in conditions, etc, etc. All the same, if you have a Buzz bomb or Zinger with mylar flash tape put on and COVERED IN CLEAR NAIL POLISH, go to Tribune and jig away. Absolutely deadly.

But for the big springs, you have to wait until the 3rd and 4th week of august when they start showing up at the Big & Little Q. Watch for big fish porpoising on the surface 300 yards off the river mouth. Best ever was 28. Not a lot of big ones ever though. Still, a great place for a family as a windy day and you go to Coombs, or go golfing, or Cameron Lake at Cathedral Grove, or swim in the Little Q Provincial Park, (I know, the signs say don't).

Part everyone hates is all the seals.

Drewski

Do the sockeye come in around Denman/Hornby? Or do they hug the East coast if the straight? Amy reports up that way? Am trying to decide what to do for the long weekend....

You might get the odd one off Hornby-- but in fishing that area for many years I can count on one hand the number that I actually verified that ran down Hornby shores. The common knowledge (from the commercials and sportsfishers) is that they do come down close to the east coast of the Island until they hit Cape Lazo. (thats why Kitty Coleman produces well for soxs ) They then deflect across the Strait towards Texada and Lasquiti (sp) . Sabine Channel between Tex and Las is a well recognized area for commercial seining and trolling for Sockeye.

IMO-- you will have a good chance to hit some coho around Hornby and the south end should still be good for springs

Thanks CL, very useful. The Kitty Coleman reports don't say much about Sox. More research to do. Cheers.

No-- its a secret!! LOL (actually folks just get too chinook oriented when talking about Kitty.) In season, you can catch all species there.

Yea a few wks ago there was a ton of boats between the north ends of the islands. Apparently there was sox around that have since moved on

Was out tonight and fishing on the south side is still good for springs. Pm me for details if ur headin up

We are planning to go up to Hornby in mid-October. With ling and rockfish closed now, I'm wondering whether there's any hope of catching salmon, if we troll from our car topper, w/out benefit of downriggers, fish finder, etc. It's a lot of work to get the boat to the water, if there's no hope of a late spring or maybe chum??

We are planning to go up to Hornby in mid-October. With ling and rockfish closed now, I'm wondering whether there's any hope of catching salmon, if we troll from our car topper, w/out benefit of downriggers, fish finder, etc. It's a lot of work to get the boat to the water, if there's no hope of a late spring or maybe chum??

salmon season is almost over....but there are a few coho salmon out there by going to Qualicum River I assume. Lots of RCAs in that area. I used to fish lots off Hornby Island in the 70's. Have fun

Back