Hornby/denman 2014

dfrase

Any reports from hornby? Saw 25-30 boats off tribune/Norris rocks this morning...bringing the boat up in a few wks

Fished off Tribune Bay and Floras yesterday, hooked 6 coho, kept 2, fairly rough in the early afternoon but it settled down after 4pm lots of fish sounding, army truck and green and white hoochies all above 100ft. I forgot my anchovie in the freezer, was hoping for a spring.

Great memories way back fishing that area , raking herring and mooching ... knuckle busters ! haha , good to hear it's coming back time to make a trip there one day and fish ,good old bowser bills.

My dad lives in Bowser and fishes a couple times a week. He's been getting lots of springs but says it's slowed down the last week, but still some coho around.

Biggest so far 26 lbs.

I think "good ol' Bowser Bill's " is history.......

Gonna miss that railroad ride down the water :D ... Yup i knew she was shut down ,time to make a trip and fish Norris rock area one day .

Hey there! I've just arrived on hornby isl, going to be here till sat. I'm wondering if anyone here is interested in taking me out. I've got a 27ft Grady in Victoria and would happily reciprocate anytime your in my neck of the woods. Call/txt 2507275601 or pm me here, cheers!

Got out last night for a few hrs from 6-8. Good to see there's lots of fish around. It was a bit choppy so we just fished one rod. Picked up 6 springs... First 2 were jacks and then we found the bigger ones a bit deeper. Kept the biggest which was a feisty 16 football probably Columbia river?

Back out today if the rain stops. Irish cream spoon was the ticket

going to try fishing the tribune area tomorrow for the first time - any general hints on water depth to troll in / gear / recent reports? thx

going to try fishing the tribune area tomorrow for the first time - any general hints on water depth to troll in / gear / recent reports? thx

Lots of boats off trib today. Dropped the lines for an hr off trib on the way around the island... Had 3 springs that were under 10lbs but that was it. Green spoons and hootchies have been good for me.

No complaints tho as the weather was unreal. Porpoises, sea lions and a big elephant seal pulled up on flora made for a solid trip around the island. Will get back at chasing the springs tomor

Hmm good to know. Any reputable sites to read about migratory data online?

yes , there are a few , DFO has one for our fish , google it and you will find good American info.
we used to hit them when i commie trolled. Our fav spot was Solander island, Cape Cook.
they seemed to spread out along the 50-100 fathom edge after that on their way home.
Salmon are like bloodhounds on a trail and find the water scent and follow it.
Columbia river water does not come into our Gulf.
Not sure where your football came from , but good luck finding and landing more.

yes , there are a few , DFO has one for our fish , google it and you will find good American info.
we used to hit them when i commie trolled. Our fav spot was Solander island, Cape Cook.
they seemed to spread out along the 50-100 fathom edge after that on their way home.
Salmon are like bloodhounds on a trail and find the water scent and follow it.
Columbia river water does not come into our Gulf.
Not sure where your football came from , but good luck finding and landing more.

I would agree that most Columbia fish don't come down the inside... but never say never... A buddy and I returned a head from a mature 18 lb fish caught at Chatham point north of Campbell River and it was from a Columbia Trib on the Idaho Border.

However, I definitely agree with the frequent posts on this forum by various people that you cannot recognize a Columbia fish by external characteristics.

Good prawning mostly round here. Do see the occasional crab trap in the bays near the sandy beaches and hear they do ok.

Fishing has been great. Tons of bait around as well

Fishing from Hornby

Spent the final 2 weeks of July fishing from our cabin on Hornby. Much more reliable results that in past years. Biggest fish was a 22 lb. spring, caught off Tribune, on an anchovy, (who knew??) in about 250 ft of water, trolling at 120 ft. After that we fished w anchovies quite a lot. Lost lots to dogfish and small guppies, but it was a fair trade. Only got skunked one day. Trip produced 4 admirable springs and many coho, (some we kept, most we returned to the sea or allowed whichever niece or nephew we were fishing with that day to keep). When we ran out of anchovies, (none to buy on Hornby), we had some success with small colourful spoons. Really didn't catch much with our hootchies this year. Strange, as they've been our go-to lures for years there.

Back